Magazine envelope

Wildwood replied on 21/08/2018 15:56

Posted on 21/08/2018 15:56

Just got my new magazine from the other club and it is in a recyclable envelope made from potato starch and compostable. This looks a great step forward in reducing plastic waste and hopefully this club can look at using these.

Not sure how well it composts but it is in the bin and we will see if any of it survives intact.

DSB replied on 21/08/2018 22:54

Posted on 21/08/2018 15:56 by Wildwood

Just got my new magazine from the other club and it is in a recyclable envelope made from potato starch and compostable. This looks a great step forward in reducing plastic waste and hopefully this club can look at using these.

Not sure how well it composts but it is in the bin and we will see if any of it survives intact.

Posted on 21/08/2018 22:54

Havent had mine yet, but that sounds like good news.

David

trellis replied on 22/08/2018 19:26

Posted on 22/08/2018 19:26

According to CCC magazine,the wrap takes 52 weeks to degrade .A lot less time than a polythene version , hope CMC quickly follow suit.

DSB replied on 22/08/2018 22:23

Posted on 22/08/2018 22:23

I got my magazine this morning.  Does anyone know how to recycle the new C&CC wrapper, as I don't have a compost heap.  Will it go with tbe green food waste/ garden waste? (We put food waste and garden waste in the same bin?  Or does it still go with paper, or even plastic?

I will certainly make the suggestion that the CAMC look into the possibility of changing the existing pacpackaging for something more 'green'.

David

Bakers2 replied on 23/08/2018 08:20

Posted on 22/08/2018 22:23 by DSB

I got my magazine this morning.  Does anyone know how to recycle the new C&CC wrapper, as I don't have a compost heap.  Will it go with tbe green food waste/ garden waste? (We put food waste and garden waste in the same bin?  Or does it still go with paper, or even plastic?

I will certainly make the suggestion that the CAMC look into the possibility of changing the existing pacpackaging for something more 'green'.

David

Posted on 23/08/2018 08:20

Page 10 in the mag tells all. Compost heap, garden waste bin,  kitchen food waste caddy, open the bag one end as use as your caddy liner! Not in normal bin or plastic. 

I think it's great 😃 huge improvement.  Little steps etc

Bakers2 replied on 23/08/2018 08:57

Posted on 23/08/2018 08:50 by huskydog

If it's made from potato starch perhaps we should cook it and eat it surprised

Posted on 23/08/2018 08:57

Well maybe 😉. Hopefully they looked at world hunger before deciding on making a wrapper with the stuff? Who knows? Was there any/enough profit in alternatives??

DavidKlyne replied on 24/08/2018 14:15

Posted on 24/08/2018 14:15

I suspect there are lots of potatoes grown which are not suitable for human consumption because of the shape or blemishes and I expect it is these that are used as well as peeling to create the starch used in such products? I expect a perfect potato is more likely to go to Mr Walkerwink

I wonder how many will remember to add it to their green or food waste bins? Most will likely end up in landfill but at least they will rot away there.

David 

Bakers2 replied on 24/08/2018 20:17

Posted on 24/08/2018 20:08 by nelliethehooker

My cover looks and feels just like plastic!! Wildwood how did you know that your's had been made of potato starch?

Posted on 24/08/2018 20:17

It's the other club C&CC that has potato starch wrapping. Mine went in the food recycling bin and was collected this morning,

This club says it's biodegradable plastic I believe, but watching the BBC4  programme last night the secret life of rubbish dumps I'm not sure that's a good thing 😲. Not sure if biodegradable is recyclable? I put our in our plastic recycling. But then we have 7 receptacles per home for recycling. Sorting rubbish requires a good deal of thought here, when were away there seems to be far less sorting before it goes off 🤣.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook