Calendar subscription - iCal format

Hallhmik replied on 15/12/2021 20:30

Posted on 15/12/2021 20:30

it would be good if I could get a published calendar in ical format for all my future (and possibly past months) bookings. I should be able to generate a personal calendar url that has a security token that identifies me (and possibly includes options of what I want included for each event).

By subscribing to that calendar my bookings would appear in my calendar on my smartphone, tablet and pc.

For each event the location could be filled in with the site address making it easy to navigate to. As well as having site contact details, arrival/departure times etc all readily available.

SteveL replied on 15/12/2021 21:05

Posted on 15/12/2021 21:05

We just put them in our diary which shows across all our Apple devices. You can put as much, or little,  information in as you like.

Would you like to explain what you mean by ical  format. If you mean that you  are given the option of putting an entry into your calendar from your confirmation email. As is the case when I book my car in for a service. Currently we don’t know what tweaks / enhancements might be included with the new booking system.

Simon100 replied on 15/12/2021 22:26

Posted on 15/12/2021 22:26

My Club bookings are automatically entered into my Google Calendar, with relevant information, such as address. This appears to be generated from the email booking confirmation. You can then add to that information and print as you require.

Your calendar is then synched across all your devices with Google Calendar installed.

Hallhmik replied on 15/12/2021 22:40

Posted on 15/12/2021 22:40

I know you can put them in your diary yourself and also using ics can add it to a calendar, but none of that is the same as having an ical published calendar sync.

If you cancel a booking it would not get removed from your calendar if you initially added it manually or via a confirmation email ics attachment.

A published ical format calendar would keep all diary's in sync of new and cancelled bookings.

The ical format is a standard for calendar sync recognised by apple, android, pc etc. It is what airbnb and all such services use.

GTP replied on 16/12/2021 09:18

Posted on 15/12/2021 22:40 by Hallhmik

I know you can put them in your diary yourself and also using ics can add it to a calendar, but none of that is the same as having an ical published calendar sync.

If you cancel a booking it would not get removed from your calendar if you initially added it manually or via a confirmation email ics attachment.

A published ical format calendar would keep all diary's in sync of new and cancelled bookings.

The ical format is a standard for calendar sync recognised by apple, android, pc etc. It is what airbnb and all such services use.

Posted on 16/12/2021 09:18

Agree...this would be very useful to members...especially now with the facility to book up to a year ahead..

SteveL replied on 16/12/2021 09:29

Posted on 16/12/2021 09:29

It may well be useful, but as far as we are concerned, wether it’s worthwhile would depend on what it would cost the club to set up. We currently have 18 bookings for next year and I don’t find it takes a lot of effort to manage them as I do at the moment. So yes if it can be done at minimal cost. No if the reverse.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/12/2021 09:33

Posted on 16/12/2021 09:33

We have to remember that CAMC doesn't have a brilliant record of reliable IT systems and there's no point in having something that doesn't work properly.

I wonder, too, how many folk would use it.

GTP replied on 16/12/2021 10:09

Posted on 16/12/2021 09:29 by SteveL

It may well be useful, but as far as we are concerned, wether it’s worthwhile would depend on what it would cost the club to set up. We currently have 18 bookings for next year and I don’t find it takes a lot of effort to manage them as I do at the moment. So yes if it can be done at minimal cost. No if the reverse.

Posted on 16/12/2021 10:09

Just forward thinking SteveL.....and agree regarding cost. In a previous life I remember a colleague , who was responsible for the Departments Intranet, creating such a calendar without much effort/cost...

Hallhmik replied on 16/12/2021 12:42

Posted on 16/12/2021 12:42

On an aircraft booking system site that I run it took about 2 hours (certainly less than half a day) to create an ical synced calendar for members bookings.

The caravan club website already has a page that lists my bookings (https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ecommerce/uksites/booking/mybookings), so the only change needed is to create another page the same and then output it in ical/ics format rather than html/text. It would then just need to be called with a token (encrypted) to identify the member for whom to output bookings so the published ical url could be something like:-

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ecommerce/uksites/booking/mybookings/?output=ical&token=lkfu987f987 

redface replied on 16/12/2021 22:03

Posted on 16/12/2021 22:03

Oh  Lord save us from the techies!

I only want to enjoy touring with my caravan, with fine weather, a good road, and a CL owners  enthusiastic greeting on arrival.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook