Happy with the rising costs ?

Filonian replied on 12/01/2017 09:28

Posted on 12/01/2017 09:28

Some of you may have seen, on a previous post, that I was amazed to find that my storage costs had increased this year by 11% , well above inflation, as have the previous years.

I decided to contact the club, to see if there was any justification for this level of increase. After nearly eight weeks I finally got a reply. Didn't really justify the increase, in my opinion, but the last paragraph of the response made it clear, I quote -

"In truth I have received very few complaints this year regarding storage fees, and whilst I appreciate no increase is welcome, this would indicate to me that, in the main, the storage increase for 2017 was deemed to be fair."

It seems to me that unless members are prepared to write and complain, then the Club think it is fair to just keep on increasing charges.

Cornersteady replied on 12/01/2017 09:48

Posted on 12/01/2017 09:48

While I agree it does seem a large increase, here are my thoughts

I assume this is a club storage site?

Why do people think that just because this is the caravan club it cannot set whatever increase it likes? It is supposed to be a business isn't it? Do you write in to every time your insurance goes up? or do you just shop around and find a better deal.

The club is no different, if you feel the new cost is too much for what you are getting then look around and find something cheaper. Of course if there isn't anything cheaper then that's a different story.

The best complaint, and the one the club, or any business will actually listen to, is not to buy their product.

SteveL replied on 12/01/2017 10:01

Posted on 12/01/2017 10:01

Having had a look at the clubs prices for the  gold accredited sites, they seem very competitive with those in the commercial sector. This could well explain the lack of complaints. If folk have looked to try and find an identical quality storage at a cheaper price and can't, most are just going to accept that the CC has caught up with the rest.

JVB66 replied on 12/01/2017 10:26

Posted on 12/01/2017 10:26

We store our c/van at cc storage (500 units)and there are very few empty pitches and most of them are too small for the increasing length of the latest models,as for the cost it is cheaper than some cossa gold in the area, 

MichaelT replied on 12/01/2017 10:47

Posted on 12/01/2017 10:47

We keep our van in storage at a private site and that has gone up £5 a month this year from £37 to £42.  I can only assume its business rates or similar.

We could move but there is not many sites so close and as its a very secure compound we are happy to stay and there are not many empty spaces either nor were there at a couple of club sites we visited over the Christmas holidays..

Wildwood replied on 12/01/2017 16:00

Posted on 12/01/2017 16:00

The club has raised ours by only £5 this year on £400 so far less than yours. I assume the figures are done on a site by site basis and there has been a large increase in costs on yours. Costs do not necessarily rise at the rate of inflation, that is an average of many things and some are larger and others higher than the given figure.

Most sites are leased and they will have a rent review every few years. What that means is that a major cost rises by large amounts when this happens and might cause a bigger rise in charges made on that site than others. That may be one of a number of reasons for the increase but without specific details for the sites costing it is difficult to know if the rise is justified.

EJB986 replied on 12/01/2017 16:12

Posted on 12/01/2017 16:12

There is also a business rate rise this year as already stated.

Many will not be affected but some will have enormous rises.

compass362 replied on 12/01/2017 19:05

Posted on 12/01/2017 09:28 by Filonian

Some of you may have seen, on a previous post, that I was amazed to find that my storage costs had increased this year by 11% , well above inflation, as have the previous years.

I decided to contact the club, to see if there was any justification for this level of increase. After nearly eight weeks I finally got a reply. Didn't really justify the increase, in my opinion, but the last paragraph of the response made it clear, I quote -

"In truth I have received very few complaints this year regarding storage fees, and whilst I appreciate no increase is welcome, this would indicate to me that, in the main, the storage increase for 2017 was deemed to be fair."

It seems to me that unless members are prepared to write and complain, then the Club think it is fair to just keep on increasing charges.

Posted on 12/01/2017 19:05

For information our gold site in Derbyshire has recently uped our yearly rate to £414 all in .

It's still pretty good value for total peace of mind  , 24 hours manned & CCTV  365 days a year , recently went to check our van & bonus they are actually resurfacing most of the internal roads  , some were pretty bad .👍😇 (about 600+units)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook