Fuelpecker

number9 replied on 08/11/2021 18:33

Posted on 08/11/2021 18:33

I have received a debt collection letter in relation to a point of sale error at my local petrol station. 

23/12/20 I tried to use my fuel card (which was paying via a direct debit to my current account) but mistyped the PIN. The cashier cancelled the transaction, then I paid using my debit card. 

A while after, fuelpecker said a payment had been declined and stopped my card. No more discount for me. At the time I responded that this couldn't be correct as I'd used the debit card. They even accused me of leaving my local garage without paying. I live round the corner and take 4 vehiclrs there so that's not going to happen.

29/6/21 After a bit of to and fro, and I initially said I couldn't possibly owe anything,  I checked my Halifax stated and advised Fuelpecker that no payment had been taken from my account. I asked them how I could pay and also complained that their payment system had failed and the non-payment was outwith my control. I'd also made a complaint. No replies.

8/11/21 I get a letter from DCBL for £109.11 for Horizon Fuels with no explanation of charges. I'd offered to pay the £35 owed, so it didn't have to reach this point. I'm absolutely livid and annoyed that I ever used the card. The customer service is appalling and they're another company that are so difficult to contact.

Ended up with no discount, charges and debt collection aggro because their systems didn't work. I had a direct debit, which was working with them,  but because they're system declined a payment and seemingly couldn't make another attempt, my account was immediately stopped and action taken. Appalling. If I pay it will be extortion, if I don't it will be ccj time. Never been in debt and disgusted.

obbernockle replied on 08/11/2021 21:19

Posted on 08/11/2021 21:19

Get legal support from your insurer/bank or whatever. If you are right, it should be easy to prove.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/11/2021 07:33

Posted on 09/11/2021 07:33

Continue to keep contact, log & copy all emails or other comms, if they threaten court action just tell them you’ve done nothing wrong. I had this with an energy supplier, they passed the owed amount on to a debt collection agency. I got threats of legal action until eventually they accepted the amount that was outstanding that I’d tried to pay after I moved energy suppliers. They are bullying you to extort money you don’t owe. They know they’ll lose in court so they try & frighten you. If there is no case & you have done everything you can that is all you can do. You can’t be found guilty if you’re not guilty. I offered nothing more than I owed, it’ll take a while mind.

InaD replied on 09/11/2021 09:19

Posted on 09/11/2021 09:19

As a member you can ring the CAMC legal helpline on 01275 378 728.  Haven't ued it myself, but isn't the Fuelpecker card issued by the CAMC as one of their member offers?  So maybe worth a call.

Good luck with it, it must be extremely frustrating to say the least.

Watendlath replied on 10/11/2021 10:10

Posted on 10/11/2021 10:10

I had no end of issues with the initial incarnation of the fuel card (can't remember the name of the outfit running it then).  Phone calls to the CAMC asking for the person who liaised with the company eventually resolved the issues but I had to be persistent.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook