Club discounts, or not?

Hedgehurst replied on 09/06/2017 19:19

Posted on 09/06/2017 19:19

We're still relatively new to the CMC, so hopefully miss out on most of the politics. And we've very much enjoyed the standards on the sites we've used so far, as well as some other club services. So that's good.

But I'm disappointed in the Special Discounts for Club Members, supposedly a benefit of membership. Since joining I've looked at a couple of companies with whom special deals have been arranged, which seemed great, until on each occasion it turned out the companies were having long-term special offers of their own to the general public, giving a still lower price.

So when I phoned to order our solar panels today, and was about to quote the special CMC code to claim my 10%, I'd have ended up paying more than the going rate if I hadn't questioned the nice gent on the phone.

I realise it's up to the companies what promotions they run, but please, CMC, with all that muscle you have, in the form of lots of members, if you negotiate a discount, can it be a real discount? Or if not, can you at least let us know when by claiming it we'll be paying over the odds?
Or is it that I have just been unlucky in my choice so far, and all the rest actually work?

Thanks,

Richard

IanH replied on 09/06/2017 19:36

Posted on 09/06/2017 19:36

We have often found that the shops that supposedly offer 10% discount say that it doesn't apply to 'sale' items (nowadays everything sems to be a 'sale' item).

So realistically, we get no better deal than anyone else simply walking into the shop.

There are some good discounts on ferries etc. but shops not so much.

Hedgehurst replied on 09/06/2017 20:15

Posted on 09/06/2017 19:36 by IanH

We have often found that the shops that supposedly offer 10% discount say that it doesn't apply to 'sale' items (nowadays everything sems to be a 'sale' item).

So realistically, we get no better deal than anyone else simply walking into the shop.

Posted on 09/06/2017 20:15

Worth knowing about the Ferries, thanks.

IanH replied on 09/06/2017 20:22

Posted on 09/06/2017 20:22

To be clear, you have to book ferry / tunnel crossings with the Club to get the discount (typically, 10%).

I usually look at the ferry /Eurotunnel web sites to see what is available / what is cheapest etc. and then ring the Club to book.

In theory, you should be able to check all this via the Club web site, but it so rarely works, that this is a very frustrating way to do it.

Navigateur replied on 09/06/2017 22:28

Posted on 09/06/2017 22:28

The discount at affiliated sites is also parsimonious.. One pound per night! Bigger discount by keeping silent and asking for something off for a week's stay.

briantimber replied on 09/06/2017 22:45

Posted on 09/06/2017 19:36 by IanH

Posted on 09/06/2017 22:45

Mountain Warehouse will give you 15% discount on till prices whether it is a sale item or not......cool

Hedgehurst replied on 10/06/2017 11:00

Posted on 09/06/2017 22:45 by briantimber

Mountain Warehouse will give you 15% discount on till prices whether it is a sale item or not......cool

Posted on 10/06/2017 11:00

Is this for flashing the CMC card, or just by asking? Mountain W'house always seems to have large discounts on everything!

moulesy replied on 10/06/2017 13:14

Posted on 10/06/2017 11:00 by Hedgehurst

Is this for flashing the CMC card, or just by asking? Mountain W'house always seems to have large discounts on everything!

Posted on 10/06/2017 13:14

We've had some really good deals from MW on waterproof gear and walking boots. You have to take their "original" price with a pinch of salt but with 50% off and a further 15% with either club's card the savings are quite significant. Good quality and long lasting gear at a much lower cost than, say Cotswold Clothing. smile

IanH replied on 10/06/2017 17:57

Posted on 10/06/2017 17:57

I bought a small rucksack at MW last year. It was advertised at a 'sale' price of 50% off. It's still at the same 'sale' price this year.

I asked for the CC discount but was told that it didn't apply to sale items.

Should I apply to the CAMC for the rebate?

moulesy replied on 10/06/2017 18:29

Posted on 10/06/2017 17:57 by IanH

I bought a small rucksack at MW last year. It was advertised at a 'sale' price of 50% off. It's still at the same 'sale' price this year.

I asked for the CC discount but was told that it didn't apply to sale items.

Should I apply to the CAMC for the rebate?

Posted on 10/06/2017 18:29

They must have seen you coming, Ian! wink

We went to the Skipton branch a couple of weeks ago and bought two pairs of walking shoes, some over trousers and several pairs of socks. All marked at 50% off. Asked if we could have CC discount and they said "of course" , didn't even insist on looking at my card! smile

brue replied on 10/06/2017 18:34

Posted on 10/06/2017 18:34

I usually get discounts on the discounts and also on sales items at MW. I just show them my club card, no problem. I tend to use our local factory outlet at Clarks Village.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook