charging for a second person

outinthesticks replied on 14/04/2024 20:51

Posted on 14/04/2024 20:51

I fully understand and accept that the total cost includes the number of people staying, Currently I'm enjoying a very pleasant stay at Pembrey Country Park which is costing £21.60 for me, but the extra payment for my wife is not the same amount but £27.60. Why is it more?  Or am I missing something?

Wherenext replied on 14/04/2024 21:13

Posted on 14/04/2024 21:13

If you made the booking for the 2 of you for the same dates at the same time on the same booking then the price should be the same.

Any variation in above could account for difference. If partner joined you on a different day, for example,  then due to "dynamic pricing" that day may have been dearer. 

If the first scenario is the correct one then speak to wardens, if you are on site, or CAMC HQ to ask for explanation.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/04/2024 21:26

Posted on 14/04/2024 21:26

I know CAMC sites have increased in price but £21.60 + £27.60 = £49.20 plus the pitch fee which equals a huge sum and suggests a bit of an error/misunderstanding to me.

As said, have a word with the warden or head office.

Cornersteady replied on 14/04/2024 23:11

Posted on 14/04/2024 23:11

If you were staying this coming Wednesday on a HS pitch the total price for a couple is £36.70, adding extra persons (or taking away) adds (or subtracts) about £12 per person.

Today's prices are £43.80 for a couple and an extra £13.80 per extra person.

A SP today comes at about £49 per couple in total which is near enough to your combined amounts?

I think you have not taken account the pitch fee.

DavidKlyne replied on 14/04/2024 23:41

Posted on 14/04/2024 23:41

On the old system pitch availability and pitch prices were two separate things. The current system combines both in a single view. So when you look at availability you see a price before entering party numbers and if Social Media is anything to go by this is causing a degree of confusion, and dare I say upset. In my view they should first ask what type of pitch you want and then the number in the party and only then show you the price. What seems to be happening is that people see the base price and then get a shock when they add an extra person. OK those of us who have been around for a few years understand the method but I can see that it can be confusing to newcomers. I would almost go as far as suggesting that the default prices shown should be for two people as anecdotal observation would suggest that through much of the year 90%+ pitches are occupied by at least two people?

David

Takethedogalong replied on 15/04/2024 09:46

Posted on 15/04/2024 09:46

There are so many variables that can affect pricing, you simply cannot get a definitive pitch price now. It’s a system wholly in use to benefit the Club in the main, and unless you are super savvy about how it all works, can take advantage of the special offers that come up with T&C’s attached, aren’t bothered what a pitch costs at all, happy to book months in advance, then it’s not attractive to a percentage of users. The Club’s get out clause is “but we invest heavily back into our sites”. They do, but make sure the prices rise at the same time. Today’s newish Members, little aware of the Club’s history and commitment to looking after loyal, long time Members, won’t care a jot, but will soak up whatever prices are presented to them. 

It very cute marketing. Present a public face of offering a good price, obscure to a certain extent all the extra details with a variety of smoke and mirrors, tell your grumbling Members its for the good of us all, and kerrching, the money keeps rolling in. In fairness, the Club are late to the “what can we charge” party, airlines and other holiday providers adopted this technique much earlier. But, most you don’t pay a Membership fee for, that’s the extra sting here. 🤭

Takethedogalong replied on 15/04/2024 13:17

Posted on 15/04/2024 09:50 by eurortraveller

Seems pretty clear to me. Today at Pembrey £24.60 for one person and £36.10 for two. Mountain or molehill ?

Posted on 15/04/2024 13:17

Only if you book today ET. I might change tomorrow, there might be a special offer on for anyone that can book between x date and Y date, and only if staying 3 nights or more, and all depends on choice of pitch type as certain dates have £5 per night off a grass pitch, but not during the period the Club determines is school holidays, and only at certain sites not all, some sites have selected percentages per night off, but not all, so you need to check.

So, there are a few gems there, but only if you are willing to commit time and patience, and the website works ok😁👍 

Cornersteady replied on 15/04/2024 16:14

Posted on 15/04/2024 16:14

I think the OP's point wasn't about DP and/or changing daily prices but that they thought the extra person price was different for the same day/date. It clearly isn't and about £12/13 per person.

I would imagine that most people will look at their chosen site, input the pitch type and number of people and get a price then accept or not. Really this isn't any different to booking any type of holiday, just done the same last week with Tui and a holiday cottage where prices do change on numbers and dates. 

joanie replied on 16/04/2024 08:54

Posted on 16/04/2024 08:54

I  don't care for the new pricing, however it seems to be the norm these days. A few years back you would book a room for 2 or hire a car and you were given a price. Now you have to go through a list of things that you want or don't want and see how it all adds up , just as takethedogalong was saying. Things aren't so simple anymore

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook