Changing status

Surfer replied on 04/02/2018 10:54

Posted on 04/02/2018 10:54

If the current club were to change from a Club to a PLC, how would that benefit members?  Would members have more say in decisions made by the Executive? 

brue replied on 04/02/2018 11:20

Posted on 04/02/2018 11:20

In one simple answer. PLCs are fine but the club as it stands now is a membership organisation, not for profit and ploughs it's profits back into the business. A PLC would be paying out dividends to shareholders from the profits, they would want to see a return on their investments.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/02/2018 13:12

Posted on 04/02/2018 11:20 by brue

In one simple answer. PLCs are fine but the club as it stands now is a membership organisation, not for profit and ploughs it's profits back into the business. A PLC would be paying out dividends to shareholders from the profits, they would want to see a return on their investments.

Posted on 04/02/2018 13:12

That’s it in a nutshell. 👍🏻

ABM replied on 04/02/2018 14:43

Posted on 04/02/2018 14:43

I  suppose, like  so  many  changed  groups,  we  would  see  a  dramatic  reduction  in  the  numbers  of  'quiet,  off  the  beaten  track'  sort  of  sites   { think  of  Thetford  Forest  etcetera !}  and  any  others  with  less  than  a  high  level  of  pitch  occupancy.frown

Surfer replied on 05/02/2018 09:05

Posted on 04/02/2018 11:20 by brue

Posted on 05/02/2018 09:05

Isn't it true that it is a members club controlled by the members so why are decisions being made without consulting the members i.e. name change, purchase businesses like Roger Allen etc?

If they are supposing to plough the profits back into the business why do they have such a huge surplus at the end of the financial year?  This raises the question of why they find it necessary to increase the price of membership and pitches every year that they have now priced themselves out of reach for many members?

I am trying to find out to understand the way the club works as we have not used a CC site for probably 2 years.

Wildwood replied on 06/02/2018 20:32

Posted on 06/02/2018 20:32

It would need a vote by the membership in favour. As each member is a shareholder then they would get a cut but the club would then have to make more money to pay the directors a salary and to pay a dividend to the new owners which would suggest fairly hefty price rises.

As a commercial company you would probably get a harder line taken by the club in members complaints and there is always the possibility of them selling off assets including the sites if they get a decent offer. Frankly I doubt we would stay members if that happened.

There is little doubt the minute voice you have now would be gone.

eurortraveller replied on 06/02/2018 22:18

Posted on 06/02/2018 22:18

Thanks,David, a useful link.

It reveals a male President, a male Chairman, four male directors and 11 out of 12 male members of the executive committee.

On this day when we are commemorating suffragettes a century ago do the upper echelons of Club seem to be rather old fashioned ? 

Surfer replied on 07/02/2018 09:16

Posted on 06/02/2018 22:18 by eurortraveller

Thanks,David, a useful link.

It reveals a male President, a male Chairman, four male directors and 11 out of 12 male members of the executive committee.

On this day when we are commemorating suffragettes a century ago do the upper echelons of Club seem to be rather old fashioned ? 

Posted on 07/02/2018 09:16

By the same token people should not be promoted just to satisfy quotas.  I have always believed that people should be promoted on merit and not their gender or colour.

DSB replied on 07/02/2018 23:35

Posted on 07/02/2018 23:35

Personally I can't see that changing from a Club to a Plc would have any benefit to members.  Neither have I heard anything to say this is even a consideration.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook