Changing pitch - August 2013 mag.

LeTouriste replied on 27/07/2013 08:42

Posted on 27/07/2013 08:42

I think I can see where Shane Barratt is coming from in his comments about aggressive posters on forums.  At the worst end are those who simply cannot allow a view that conflicts with their own opinions, to some who seem to go onto a forum with no better purpose than to behave abusively.

I met some infantile abuse when I commented, in Readers' Letters, on the down side of the demand for 8-foot wide caravans.  My only reservation was that most campsites are placed down country lanes, and based on difficulties already noticed when two 7'-4" vans met on such roads. The bulk of the replies were childish rants, and little was discussed at a sensible level.

The same situation arose on another caming forum which I used to post on regularly.  The crunch came when a blunt-speaking poster became an administrator, and at times, whilst permitting abusive comments from some (favoured?) posters, immediately closed the topic; erasing a poster's reply to the abuse, but leaving the abusive post in place.  I rarely go on that forum now - occasionally looking through the posts, and only adding a comment if I think it might be helpful.

I wonder how many useful bits of information we have lost because other posters boycott these forums?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook