Broomfield Farm Site security

Robeno replied on 09/08/2018 19:35

Posted on 09/08/2018 19:35

A Gentle reminder to all club members,review your security when pitched on a club site .

Broomfield Farm has 30 + seasonal pitches in the summer season.

For the past 8 years I have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed many summers in East Sussex.

Monday night ...Broomfield farm had visitors on the site ,persons with vehicles managed to steal three caravans.

They drove  in through the open gate ,removed security devices from the caravans and towed them back through the open gates.and away.

A gentle reminder to the caravan and motorhome club review your security,

In 8 years I have had a seasonal pitch at Broomfield Farm,the gate access has never been shut and never locked any time.

I now think the club should review the security immediately.

shutting a wooden farm gate and locking it with a chain and padlock at night ,as is proposed now,may not be enough deterrent.

Our visitors can easily drive in during daylight hours and achieve the same outcome.

it is not fair to put this burden on to the wardens. they cannot guard the site 24 /7.

If they could should they challenge let alone tackle this type of person and lifestyle that steals caravans on a regular basis.?

Bakers2 replied on 09/08/2018 19:45

Posted on 09/08/2018 19:45

Indeed a timely reminder. Hopefully those who've lost their vans will get a swift settlement.

I am always amazed that most sites with barriers have the exit barrier open automatically 😲.

It is impossible for the wardens to be 'on guard' 24/7

brue replied on 09/08/2018 21:18

Posted on 09/08/2018 21:18

Not good reading, sorry to hear people have lost there vans, I don't suppose anything much will stop determined thieves with equipment to cut through metal, disable alarms etc.

replied on 10/08/2018 11:49

Posted on 10/08/2018 11:49

There are a number of sites that are not barriered and not just CC sites. It is surprising that at this time of year such actions did not alert others on site. Less surprising I suppose with such a high percentage of seasonal pitches perhaps. I don't know the site. The wardens would no doubt be advised that, if alerted, they should not intervene beyond calling 999

KenofKent replied on 10/08/2018 12:24

Posted on 10/08/2018 12:24

The barriers that I have seen on caravan club sites will not prevent anyone entering or leaving the site. They will at best deter an honest person. They give a false sense of security. Barriers are available that will prevent entry/exit but are extremely expensive, and are only of use if the whole perimeter is protected. It would not improve the look of the site, unless accompanied by heavy planting of trees, shrubs etc.

Very Sorry for the members who have lost their vans.

Ken

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook