Booking sites

Martin 26 replied on 21/10/2019 12:24

Posted on 21/10/2019 12:24

I have now been a member of the club for 5 years, the one issue I have noticed and have a problem with ( and I am sure I'm not alone !!) is the fact that you can book a site without a deposit.

This causes one big issue and I have seen this first hand. the fact that all the popular sites get fully booked up and then what happens is that people have found other things to do and cancel the site last minute, I have worked out that sometimes if you just phone the site you may find they have a cancellation and you can get on the site.

In my opinion one possible solution would be to insist on a deposit ( I'm sure this would assist in members only booking sites as and when they actually want to go rather than booking lots of sites then cancelling at the last minute when they decide they don't want it. The current booking system simply does not reflect the best for the majority of its members.

ABM replied on 21/10/2019 12:33

Posted on 21/10/2019 12:33

The most recent time this was raised, Martin, the general view was that cancellations usually only occur for valid reasons such as unforseen / unforseeable circumstances.  I cancelled a couple or three bookings this year, at least three weeks before I was due to take them up --  one was family related and two were my health related.  No way would a Deposit have altered my decisions.

Further to that I understand that the Club's figures show that there is, in fact, less cancellations now than back in the days when Deposits were taken.

Cornersteady replied on 21/10/2019 12:36

Posted on 21/10/2019 12:36

The other things to do could be illness, job or shift change or any variety of other things.   

Under the present system at least the people do inform the site/club that they are cancelling and that pitch can be taken and sold to another.

When the club had deposits people did not inform the club when deciding not to go and the pitch was left empty and income lost. After getting rid of deposits the number of no shows went down and hence income went up, isn't that the best for the majority?

Also last minute? 

Also why would deposits cure this 'problem' unless you are talking about non refundable deposits. Otherwise you would still cancel and get your money back and nothing changes.

Personally I like the current system, it is easy and quick and flexible. 

Tinwheeler replied on 21/10/2019 13:08

Posted on 21/10/2019 13:08

"the fact that all the popular sites get fully booked up and then what happens is that people have found other things to do and cancel the site last minute,"

Martin, I’m interested to know what information you have that leads you to state the above as fact.

There will always be cancellations as ABM and Corners have said but that does not mean the bookings are cancelled with a casual of cavalier attitude. I’ve cancelled bookings due to illness and mechanical breakdown and, frankly, resent the implication that my cancellations might have been anything other than unavoidable.

I won’t repeat the points already made but paying a deposit would have made no difference at all to my actions.

I also find your closing remark about the current system not being best for the majority rather strange as it is the same for all.

JillwithaJay replied on 21/10/2019 13:15

Posted on 21/10/2019 13:15

I accept that the OP perhaps hasn't been a member of this forum for too long but, as most of our posters will agree, this topic has been raised endless times and always ends up going round in circles.

Therefore, with apologies to the OP, I'm going to lock it to avoid yet another duplication of what's already been discussed many times.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 21/10/2019 14:27

Posted on 21/10/2019 12:24 by Martin 26

I have now been a member of the club for 5 years, the one issue I have noticed and have a problem with ( and I am sure I'm not alone !!) is the fact that you can book a site without a deposit.

This causes one big issue and I have seen this first hand. the fact that all the popular sites get fully booked up and then what happens is that people have found other things to do and cancel the site last minute, I have worked out that sometimes if you just phone the site you may find they have a cancellation and you can get on the site.

In my opinion one possible solution would be to insist on a deposit ( I'm sure this would assist in members only booking sites as and when they actually want to go rather than booking lots of sites then cancelling at the last minute when they decide they don't want it. The current booking system simply does not reflect the best for the majority of its members.

Posted on 21/10/2019 14:27

Hello Martin,

Many thanks for your feedback which we value at the Club. As Jill says this topic is one that has been discussed before on Club Together. There is a conversation about this here which you may like to read through and contribute to: club-sites-advance-booking-system

Unfortunately we are not able to merge the discussions as such we will keep this discussion closed but feel free to post on the existing conversation, which will remain open as long as no arguments occur and posts abide by the Community Guidelines.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook