Booking online - human error will not be tolerated

ScreenName070D39CB0F replied on 01/08/2023 19:38

Posted on 01/08/2023 19:38

On Wednesday 26th July I made a mistake and booked the wrong date for the start of a long tour of Scotland.  I realised my mistake on Friday after the Club offices closed and was unable to speak to anyone until Monday morning when my stay at Strathclyde Country Park was due to begin.  The agent I spoke to said that I couldn't move my booking to the date I needed at the end of August and that I would lose my £20 deposit.  I was invited to book again at the full rate of £37 for one night so with the £20 lost deposit I was effectively being invited to pay £57 for one night + an additional £2.50 for I know not what.  I declined so assumed the loss of my deposit to be sufficient - not so, having checked my credit card statement I find that the Caravan Club has £17.50 pending on my credit card statement which I assume to be the balance for the remainder of the stay I had cancelled on Monday morning.  

I have lost trust in this organisation which is no longer a Club for me but a money making outfit offering at best average facilities at a premium.  

The follow-up email I sent on Monday has not even been auto acknowledged. The Contact Us at the bottom of the page does not give a phone number or an email address but the totally inadequate chat bot which serves no purpose - in person chat was not working when I tried earlier today.  The amend function does not work on online bookings - even budget airlines allow a 24 hour period in which you can make amends. Why are there no moderators to monitor negative feedback. 

I will now spend the money I would have spent with CAMC with other sites offering far greater transparency and increasingly better value for money. 

eribaMotters replied on 01/08/2023 20:12

Posted on 01/08/2023 20:12

Don't you have a cooling off period for internet purchases which should cover your booking. As such the club would obliged to allow a cancelation and provide a full refund.

Colin

Tinwheeler replied on 01/08/2023 20:57

Posted on 01/08/2023 20:12 by eribaMotters

Don't you have a cooling off period for internet purchases which should cover your booking. As such the club would obliged to allow a cancelation and provide a full refund.

Colin

Posted on 01/08/2023 20:57

As I understand it the 14 day cooling off period refers to goods and the 14 days starts the day after you receive the goods.

Services such as leisure industry bookings are not included. The last sentence in my screenshot gives very wise advice.

replied on 01/08/2023 20:58

Posted on 01/08/2023 20:58

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 02/08/2023 07:50

Posted on 02/08/2023 07:50

Whilst I agree with the 'always check the terms' advice, what's becoming very apparent is that loyal Club members are being caught out by the Club's recent 'realignment other providers'. 

for some, who would have just continued to use the Club (in good faith) as they've always done, it's probably a change too far and the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.

it seems quite a few are getting caught and find it hard to believe this is the new way the Club operates. Perhaps they missed all the 'booking fanfare' and are just booking in the way 'they've always done'.

It will be a shock to some of these folk.

Bakers2 replied on 02/08/2023 08:46

Posted on 02/08/2023 08:46

Could many ussues about booking be resolved if the club was contactable over the weekend? Not necessarily 24/7.

Errors such as the OP can and are occasionally made but the ability to correct is missing with this system.

The club operates in a leisure industry which is generally 24/7 but prefers to operate the 9-5 M-F system. That worked fine when they were no financial penalties but its very different since the introduction of deposits.

Were there enough shout outs about the new T&C's? I can't comment, no longer a club member and I do read and join in CT.

The out of hours non contactability was always an issue on ferries booked through the club and has long been an issue.

If the club want to take deposits and impose new T,&C's there should be a method to detail swiftly with errors, we are all human!, that arise. It needs to be fit for purpose. We were members from 2007 and I was astonished to find there was no out of office hours contact. But accepted it as it was a club, run for members. This still seems to be the case these days. To me, the least the new booking system should include is amendments - from what I read it isn't easy and requires human intervention.

Mind you IT is not, under any circumstances, one of the clubs strong points. Everything thing points in favour of the club. Not the members.....

wedgy replied on 02/08/2023 10:19

Posted on 01/08/2023 19:38 by ScreenName070D39CB0F

On Wednesday 26th July I made a mistake and booked the wrong date for the start of a long tour of Scotland.  I realised my mistake on Friday after the Club offices closed and was unable to speak to anyone until Monday morning when my stay at Strathclyde Country Park was due to begin.  The agent I spoke to said that I couldn't move my booking to the date I needed at the end of August and that I would lose my £20 deposit.  I was invited to book again at the full rate of £37 for one night so with the £20 lost deposit I was effectively being invited to pay £57 for one night + an additional £2.50 for I know not what.  I declined so assumed the loss of my deposit to be sufficient - not so, having checked my credit card statement I find that the Caravan Club has £17.50 pending on my credit card statement which I assume to be the balance for the remainder of the stay I had cancelled on Monday morning.  

I have lost trust in this organisation which is no longer a Club for me but a money making outfit offering at best average facilities at a premium.  

The follow-up email I sent on Monday has not even been auto acknowledged. The Contact Us at the bottom of the page does not give a phone number or an email address but the totally inadequate chat bot which serves no purpose - in person chat was not working when I tried earlier today.  The amend function does not work on online bookings - even budget airlines allow a 24 hour period in which you can make amends. Why are there no moderators to monitor negative feedback. 

I will now spend the money I would have spent with CAMC with other sites offering far greater transparency and increasingly better value for money. 

Posted on 02/08/2023 10:19

I would copy and  paste your comments onto the CAMC page of trip advisor. You will almost certainly get a responce asking you to contact direct via an email link. If this route doesn't help I would ring the call centre again and ask to speak with a supervisor. I must say I have found the club understanding when I have had to make ammendments for medical reasons however you do have to stand your ground. 

brue replied on 02/08/2023 11:58

Posted on 02/08/2023 11:58

In the booking t&cs it states that if there is an "error" (my words) you must inform them immediately. If there are no means to do this until the next office opening hours and you are able to make contact then it might be reasonable for the club to reconsider their response? I hope you can try again and receive a better outcome.

LLM replied on 02/08/2023 15:21

Posted on 02/08/2023 15:21

Para 3 [not numbered] of Clause 3 Booking and Paying for your Arrangements states:

Our booking process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your booking request to us. Please take the time to read and check your booking at each stage of the booking process. Please notify us of any errors in pricing or changes to your details that impact on your confirmed booking as soon as you become aware of them. You may amend your personal and booking details online. We cannot be held responsible if a change in your details means we can no longer accommodate you or your outfit at a Club site.

If that amendment facility is not available for the entire time that the booking system is accepting bookings then CAMC could arguably be in breach of their own terms if a customer is unable to correct his error. 

peedee replied on 02/08/2023 16:32

Posted on 02/08/2023 16:32

LLM, You can indeed correct errors as you go through the booking process right up until you have paid the deposit but the OP completed the booking with a date error in it, therefore he/she had made a commitment to honour the terms inside of 21 days. The moral is to check the booking is correct before you make the deposit payment. Its not that difficult to do because you are presented with the details multiple times during the process right up untill the  payment screen. You can even edit your booking detail in the basket! Really there aren't any excuses for getting it wrong.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook