Booking in advance

gwyneth replied on 27/07/2021 16:06

Posted on 27/07/2021 16:06

Can anyone please tell me when the new rules about being able to book for August 2022 at the start of July 2021 saw this in club magazine today so went to book site and it's already booked up for the dates we need for next year. Sites hand book state's 1 year in advance did an online chat and was told this has been in use for the last 3 years I've been a member for 10 years and never heard of this does anyone know of this rule. I'm really starting to get fed up of the clubs booking policy have been to lot's of sites where online the site is fully booked but you turn up and loads of pitches available because of last minute cancellation. We have to book well in advance because of work commitments seems to me too many people are booking 1 day on a weekend every week then just cancelling if the weather not perfect will have to consider on renewing membership next year 

Cornersteady replied on 27/07/2021 16:22

Posted on 27/07/2021 16:22

As I recall certain months have been linked together for quite a while now (since the rolling year system started?) and again from memory July and August have been linked due to school holidays running over both months.

The cancellation system as been discussed many times and when the current system was implemented  the number of no shows went down, and again this idea of people 'block booking' as you describe is actually just a myth in practice.

I wonder what site you're after? I've done a quick trawl of my 10 last used and favourite sites and they all have plenty of pitches left for both months, in fact no full days at all. I can only assume it was a honeypot site that is very popular?

If you share the name and location others might be able to tell you of other nearby sites, club and non club.

SteveL replied on 27/07/2021 16:23

Posted on 27/07/2021 16:23

I’m fairly sure they started it when they went from frenzy day in December to being able to book a rolling year in advance. I think they made the decision to release July and August at the same time as it often split members main holiday and it would have been necessary to book it in two sections. I think it was about 3 years ago the new system came in as you suggest.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/07/2021 16:25

Posted on 27/07/2021 16:25

It’s not a rule but the current system.

With a few exceptions, bookings open up on the first Wednesday, I think, of the month for that same month one year ahead. For example, bookings for July 2022 were opened from early July 2021.

I can’t comment on the August 2022 situation as I’ve no longer got the mag but if you're finding the booking page yellowed out, that suggests to me that bookings have not yet been released.

It'll help if you say which site it is.

Edit: thanks C & SL, I’d forgotten about the July/Aug linking and we posted together.

gwyneth replied on 27/07/2021 17:08

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:08

Thanks for the response we go to Seacroft in Cromer 6 times out of the last 7 years we try to book a serviced pitch each year  to give me a bit of a break from emptying the waste and filling the water all the time. We have been lucky enough to get a standard pitch so happy with that but we've never heard of the book in July for August next year or else I would of been online at the start of the month. As I said the handbook states 1 year in advance if  we had not seen the add in the club magazine we would of waited till the middle of August to try and book a pitch and in this crazy time of caravaning probably wouldn't be any pitches available 

Cornersteady replied on 27/07/2021 17:21

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:08 by gwyneth

Thanks for the response we go to Seacroft in Cromer 6 times out of the last 7 years we try to book a serviced pitch each year  to give me a bit of a break from emptying the waste and filling the water all the time. We have been lucky enough to get a standard pitch so happy with that but we've never heard of the book in July for August next year or else I would of been online at the start of the month. As I said the handbook states 1 year in advance if  we had not seen the add in the club magazine we would of waited till the middle of August to try and book a pitch and in this crazy time of caravaning probably wouldn't be any pitches available 

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:21

Yes I know what you mean about using SP and we were on one at Seacroft in 2019 over July and August and it's a fantastic site but very popular and the SP even more so, as you say for SP July is virtually booked up and so is half of August.

Keep an eye on the bookings, especially nearer the time although for Seacroft it may be unlikely to change much, and if the dates you want appear you'll have to phone the site to get the changes done smoothly otherwise if you do it you'll have to cancel your standard pitch before booking the SP and both might go as you're doing that.

brue replied on 27/07/2021 17:25

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:25

Gwyneth if you want to read all about the updated booking systems, release dates etc and FAQs the details are her in the UK Holiday section.. link  >HERE

Enjoy your holidays. smile

Tinwheeler replied on 27/07/2021 17:26

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:08 by gwyneth

Posted on 27/07/2021 17:26

Selecting SP does reduce the number of pitches available to you and, although you can still get SPs in Aug 2022, there's nothing for more than 4 nights.

It's a shame you missed earlier announcements but I hope you still have a good break.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook