1st time caravaning

chrisally replied on 31/03/2019 09:02

Posted on 31/03/2019 09:02

We took the plung and got ours selfs a a bailey unicorn cabrera our 1st stay was at hawes club site and the staff there are so nice and helpful couldn't do more to help and advice us and a chap from Wales oppisite use gave us advice and help.

Our trip here was eventful as the satnav took us via kettlewell on a very narrow road so I had to turn the van around on a country road and was chuffed with my 1st attempt at revesrsing.

I would recommend the hawes site to anyone and we are definitely coming back again looking forward to many and holiday in the caravan now.

Cornersteady replied on 31/03/2019 10:12

Posted on 31/03/2019 10:12

Great to hear you had a good time, best to ignore savannas when towing towards the end of your journey and use the club's own directions which are tried and tested.

If its any consolation I had to perform a multi point turn with our caravan in a Sainburys' car park when we once followed the satnav direction to get to the Warwick site, and yes it was a full car parkembarassed

Club sites are always full of people who will gladly help so just ask. Here's to your next trip!

Milothedog replied on 31/03/2019 10:12

Posted on 31/03/2019 09:02 by chrisally

We took the plung and got ours selfs a a bailey unicorn cabrera our 1st stay was at hawes club site and the staff there are so nice and helpful couldn't do more to help and advice us and a chap from Wales oppisite use gave us advice and help.

Our trip here was eventful as the satnav took us via kettlewell on a very narrow road so I had to turn the van around on a country road and was chuffed with my 1st attempt at revesrsing.

I would recommend the hawes site to anyone and we are definitely coming back again looking forward to many and holiday in the caravan now.

Posted on 31/03/2019 10:12

Its always worth reading the directions foot note in the club site directory, Like you I found out my Land Rovers Sat Nav tells lies cool

Enjoy your Caravan cool

Milothedog replied on 31/03/2019 10:17

Posted on 31/03/2019 10:12 by Cornersteady

Great to hear you had a good time, best to ignore savannas when towing towards the end of your journey and use the club's own directions which are tried and tested.

If its any consolation I had to perform a multi point turn with our caravan in a Sainburys' car park when we once followed the satnav direction to get to the Warwick site, and yes it was a full car parkembarassed

Club sites are always full of people who will gladly help so just ask. Here's to your next trip!

Posted on 31/03/2019 10:17

Had the same thing when the Sat Nav took us down a lane into a Garden centre near Burford cool

The other one was going to Normanhurst Court. the road became a single track, very narrow lane. luckily there was a left hand bend with a gate to field which I was able to reverse in to and after about 3 or 4 shunts was facing the way back to the main road cool

Takethedogalong replied on 31/03/2019 13:10

Posted on 31/03/2019 13:10

It is a good idea to take a glance at a proper map of some sorts, even if it is just a road atlas before setting off. Sat navs are usually ok for solo vehicles, but towing or something larger than a big van may need extra precautions. But you survived unscathed, and got in some expert level reversing, so well done to you.

We have just left Hawes after a first visit there, as you say, a nice site, with very nice staff. Hope you enjoy your new van, and have many happy times away😁

Bakers2 replied on 31/03/2019 15:00

Posted on 31/03/2019 10:12 by Cornersteady

Posted on 31/03/2019 15:00

😂😂😂😂

You're not alone, we've seen several, n8t quite so obvious if you're in a motorhome but still a bit tight. embarassed we almost did it twice embarassed

Glad you enjoyed it here's to many more wonderful trips 😆

Wherenext replied on 31/03/2019 16:50

Posted on 31/03/2019 16:50

Well the responses should make you feel a lot better as "experienced" tuggers confirm their oversights. I'm happy to confirm that we, too, have succumbed to the "Sainsburys at Warwick syndrome", as it shall henceforth be known. I wasn't relying on Satnav, that's what Mrs WN is for, except I swerved to avoid an oncoming car and took my eye off the site entrance. Cornersteady will probably be nodding now as he knows that the road becomes narrower with no turning points until Sainsburys unless you know the area.

So good luck and I'm glad you enjoyed your first adventure. It gets quite addictive.😀

chrisally replied on 31/03/2019 21:15

Posted on 31/03/2019 21:15

Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one to be caught out so glad other caravaners are helpful I'm sure I will need lots more tips and help on my second trip out to Wales 

Cornersteady replied on 31/03/2019 21:52

Posted on 31/03/2019 16:50 by Wherenext

Well the responses should make you feel a lot better as "experienced" tuggers confirm their oversights. I'm happy to confirm that we, too, have succumbed to the "Sainsburys at Warwick syndrome", as it shall henceforth be known. I wasn't relying on Satnav, that's what Mrs WN is for, except I swerved to avoid an oncoming car and took my eye off the site entrance. Cornersteady will probably be nodding now as he knows that the road becomes narrower with no turning points until Sainsburys unless you know the area.

So good luck and I'm glad you enjoyed your first adventure. It gets quite addictive.😀

Posted on 31/03/2019 21:52

indeed I wassmile

Cornersteady replied on 31/03/2019 21:57

Posted on 31/03/2019 21:15 by chrisally

Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one to be caught out so glad other caravaners are helpful I'm sure I will need lots more tips and help on my second trip out to Wales 

Posted on 31/03/2019 21:57

I could start a long thread with all my 'oversights' down the years. Some minor and embarrassing like above, some expensive (hint don't leave your mover remote on the A frame), some happen even when you should know better after many trips and you stand there scratching your head asking what you have done wrong (hint, don't try and fill your hot water tank with the drain tap open)

But it's all good fun, remember the wardens are all experienced caravaners and motor-homers too and they are always willing to help too.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook