Rallying for the senior caravanners

Scottie2 replied on 07/04/2018 22:18

Posted on 07/04/2018 22:18

I see the Retired Caravanning Association now allow non members of RCA to view a full list of their actual 2018 rallies with locations and dates, on their website...Their rallies are in various desirable locations and always have in mind areas where interesting places to visit are to be found...If a single person or couple wish to join RCA they make you most welcome and I believe as long as you no longer are employed you can apply from the age of 55...interested persons can obtain a no obligation information pack on application by looking up their newly organised website.  ..This sounds the kind of caravanning us retired folk could would benefit from.

Metheven replied on 07/04/2018 23:01

Posted on 07/04/2018 23:01

Best of luck to anyone wanting this kind of thing, its another alternative choice.

I'm retired but I don't like to be packaged into a group like that, I still have a free spirit and don't feel the need to congregate with the elderly just yet. It sounds like an old peoples home, except on wheels.

Scottie2 replied on 07/04/2018 23:36

Posted on 07/04/2018 23:01 by Metheven

Best of luck to anyone wanting this kind of thing, its another alternative choice.

I'm retired but I don't like to be packaged into a group like that, I still have a free spirit and don't feel the need to congregate with the elderly just yet. It sounds like an old peoples home, except on wheels.

Posted on 07/04/2018 23:36

I don’t think your interpretation of this Association can possibly  be considered as correct if you think of the RCA as a group of  ralliers as like an old people’s home on wheels.. ..Older  they may be but all are young at heart and a marvellous example of playing your part in life and enjoying yourself.  It’s obviously not for you so that’s fine so thank you for your opinion.

bill replied on 08/04/2018 09:48

Posted on 08/04/2018 09:48

Try rallying with a CAMC Centre and you will mix with people of all age groups and interests and not just the over 55's.  One of the problems with the RCA is that you have to pay for a whole rally even if you only want to go for a few days or a weekend.  Most Centres will let you attend for as many days as you want and only pay for those.

Scottie2 replied on 08/04/2018 12:00

Posted on 08/04/2018 09:48 by bill

Try rallying with a CAMC Centre and you will mix with people of all age groups and interests and not just the over 55's.  One of the problems with the RCA is that you have to pay for a whole rally even if you only want to go for a few days or a weekend.  Most Centres will let you attend for as many days as you want and only pay for those.

Posted on 08/04/2018 12:00

The RCA rallies start from 5, 7, 10 and 14 days...In summer I would not think of going to join any rally for less than 5 days...If you only want a 2 day break then a CL or CAMC , is what you want...If you went to a hotel after having booked for a certain number of days, and you told the hotel you were leaving early, do you think the hotel would refund the unused nights, I don’t think so, so why do you think a rally officer should refund you.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/04/2018 15:16

Posted on 08/04/2018 12:00 by Scottie2

The RCA rallies start from 5, 7, 10 and 14 days...In summer I would not think of going to join any rally for less than 5 days...If you only want a 2 day break then a CL or CAMC , is what you want...If you went to a hotel after having booked for a certain number of days, and you told the hotel you were leaving early, do you think the hotel would refund the unused nights, I don’t think so, so why do you think a rally officer should refund you.

Posted on 08/04/2018 15:16

Gee, you can count me out as well Scottie if that’s the prevailing mindset. frown 

ChrisRogers replied on 08/04/2018 16:48

Posted on 08/04/2018 16:48

That's why we use the C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites most of the time now, which are good for our needs, go off when we want, just turn up at the THS, or a quick phone call first, tell the stewards we do not know how long we are staying, they book us in and I just leave my membership card with them. When we decide to leave, I then tell them the night before we want to leave and pay up. So easy.

Kennine replied on 09/04/2018 11:39

Posted on 09/04/2018 11:39

I see little difference between CMC rallies and those of the RCA. Same age groups with the same interests.  So CMC rallyists  might be very interested.

I personally got fed up with the CMC weekend rallies simply because they were only two nights away  Hardly worth hitching the van up for 2 nights only... I did enjoy the C&CC Temporary Holiday Rallies where you were free to stay or leave whenever you wished. There was far less formality and in most cases no advance booking was required.  

Best of luck with your RCA organisation  Scottie2.

K

Swifty2018 replied on 09/04/2018 12:47

Posted on 09/04/2018 12:47

.If you went to a hotel after having booked for a certain number of days, and you told the hotel you were leaving early, do you think the hotel would refund the unused nights, I don’t think so, so why do you think a rally officer should refund you

Fair comment - not sure about a hotel but the CAMC would not refund entirely on a club site so why are others complaining about the RCA?

replied on 09/04/2018 12:55

Posted on 09/04/2018 12:47 by Swifty2018

.If you went to a hotel after having booked for a certain number of days, and you told the hotel you were leaving early, do you think the hotel would refund the unused nights, I don’t think so, so why do you think a rally officer should refund you

Fair comment - not sure about a hotel but the CAMC would not refund entirely on a club site so why are others complaining about the RCA?

Posted on 09/04/2018 12:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook