Megasat automatic satellite won't lock on!

Camperman2000 replied on 07/11/2019 22:15

Posted on 07/11/2019 22:15

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on why my satellite won't lock on. I have talked to megasat to try and resolve, firmware update,and elevation angle, but  the next step is send it back them. I have removed the dish from the van to send back and have started doing tests before I do. 

I have connected my sky dish through the box hoping it would get the satellite signal and stop searching, but it doesn't. When the power to the controller is on I get a signal. As soon as I set the dish searching, the signal goes. Until I stop it searching. I then connected my sat finding meter inline. Same thing happens no signal to the TV when searching but this time the meter drops off and the led goes dim and flickers. As if it has a short down the coax cable when searching.

Any ideas before I send the unit back would be appreciated.

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Thanks Terry

DavidKlyne replied on 08/11/2019 09:58

Posted on 08/11/2019 09:58

Terry

This is quite a regular topic on this forum for various makes of automatic satellite systems. The first port of call is usually a software update as sometimes where the signals are transmitted from move slightly. There could also be mechanical reasons why you have the problem. Have you tried to find a dealer for your make of dish as they could probably deal with the issue and check the whole installation.

David

Camperman2000 replied on 08/11/2019 19:43

Posted on 08/11/2019 19:43

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. I have read my fair share of post regarding satellites. I was thinking someone my have an idea why the signal shorts out when searching, or give me the lightbulb to a resolution. Before I return it back to the manufacturer..

Thanks Terry

DavidKlyne replied on 08/11/2019 20:43

Posted on 08/11/2019 20:43

Terry

I had a similar problem with a Mecatronic dish. The software update did seem to do the job but from time to time it would still not lock onto the satellite. Sometimes it required several attempts. I have since part exchanged that motorhome and have, as yet, not bothered with a dish on my new van as we are unsure whether we will go abroad again. Speaking to the dealer a couple of months after we picked up our new motorhome it seems that the new owner is still having difficulties and he wondered whether it need a new LNB? The trouble is that there are so many things that impact on the system working correctly.

David

Camperman2000 replied on 11/01/2020 21:23

Posted on 11/01/2020 21:23

Hello. 

It's fixed. The problem.  would you believe,  the battery.......

Let me explain, what my clever friend says. He noticed when the satellite was searching the screen on the box was flickering, as it does when the pump runs with the lights on. In my mind the battery was ok guage  shows battery full. It would last when out and about. Even hiding from the wife and watching the TV on the status, over several days between trips( cleaning ). NOT convinced

Ok I'll plug the mains in. Use the charger to boost the 12volt. Still not locking on. 

He says. Remember car radios that use to crackle. It's  Doing the same with the sat signal.

Ok  I think. On site I do the outside first gas, electric and water. Then go inside to tune in telly. So electric is always on before I setup the TV.  Still not convinced.

So to prove to me. He got his car, full battery as it started the engine. Disconnected the van battery and connected the battery clamps and car using jump leads. 

It Locked on straight away.

I got a new battery. Now it locks on first time every time.  So NO MAINS before searching and a GOOD BATTERY

Hope this works for you. 

Terry

ocsid replied on 12/01/2020 07:31

Posted on 12/01/2020 07:31

You are probably right, but one other reason might just have been the total removal of power whilst changing over battery feeds, facilitated any inbuilt computer to go through a reboot.

Anyway you got there.

richenda replied on 04/06/2024 13:06

Posted on 07/11/2019 22:15 by Camperman2000

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on why my satellite won't lock on. I have talked to megasat to try and resolve, firmware update,and elevation angle, but  the next step is send it back them. I have removed the dish from the van to send back and have started doing tests before I do. 

I have connected my sky dish through the box hoping it would get the satellite signal and stop searching, but it doesn't. When the power to the controller is on I get a signal. As soon as I set the dish searching, the signal goes. Until I stop it searching. I then connected my sat finding meter inline. Same thing happens no signal to the TV when searching but this time the meter drops off and the led goes dim and flickers. As if it has a short down the coax cable when searching.

Any ideas before I send the unit back would be appreciated.

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Thanks Terry

Posted on 04/06/2024 13:06

my magi sat won't lock on to Astra28  when i leave my home address it was resignalled 7years ago but recently won't lock on when  on sites even though there are no obstructions also when i move from my home to open area still the same

peedee replied on 04/06/2024 18:06

Posted on 04/06/2024 18:06

As far as I am aware the only changes that have happened on Astra 2recently is the closure of some standard definition channels in favour of HD channels. I don't know how your system tracks the satellite but could it be you do not have a tracking problem but just that your TV  is not HD enabled?

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook