We have a faulty mattress

Barnsley Pip replied on 31/08/2022 19:52

Posted on 31/08/2022 19:52

We bought a brand new caravan in April and there is a fault with the mattress. One side does not give sufficient support and you roll off the bed. As a temporary solution we rolled two beach towels up into a "3 foot long sausage" and stuffed it between the mattress and the bed frame. Not something I consider satisfactory after paying over £43,000...

After only a few weeks I contacted the dealer and sent photos, they eventually collected the mattress from me so they could return it to the mattress manufacturer for their assessment. (Coachman caravans told the dealer to deal direct with Belfield, the mattress manufacturer. I feel that Coachman are just not interested.)
Unsurprisingly, Belfield say there is nothing wrong with the mattress, but is that because they wouldn't find fault as they are the ones who would have to stand the cost of replacing it.

Who/Where/How do I get an independent assessor involved?

Thanking you for any help you can give.

Moderator Comment - Moved to Discussions as incorrectly posted in the Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 31/08/2022 20:03

Posted on 31/08/2022 20:03

It doesn’t matter what Belfield say as it is the dealer you bought the van from who is responsible under the Consumer Rights Act. Just tell the dealer you want it sorted. It’s up to the dealer who he approaches and how he achieves the right end result. Your only concern is that he achieves that result.

You may wish to contact the club's legal team for advice.

Barnsley Pip replied on 31/08/2022 21:10

Posted on 31/08/2022 21:10

Dear Tinwheeler,

Thankyou, this was my belief too. One additonal aspect is that I ordered the caravan at the NEC show in February from the official Coachman stand, so I feel that they should also have some responsibility in trying to sort it out. Tomorrow I am going to contact Coachman directly with this argument and see what they say.

Fastnet replied on 01/09/2022 09:30

Posted on 01/09/2022 09:30

TW is correct.  You only have a contract with your supplying dealer.  Coachman will not deal with you.  It’s just like cars - if you had a fault with your new VW, its down to your dealer to sort it - VW will not deal with you.  

If my experience of getting faults corrected in a new Coachman is anything to go by, I wish you luck!  

Tinwheeler replied on 01/09/2022 09:37

Posted on 31/08/2022 21:10 by Barnsley Pip

Dear Tinwheeler,

Thankyou, this was my belief too. One additonal aspect is that I ordered the caravan at the NEC show in February from the official Coachman stand, so I feel that they should also have some responsibility in trying to sort it out. Tomorrow I am going to contact Coachman directly with this argument and see what they say.

Posted on 01/09/2022 09:37

Who did you pay for the van? It will have been a dealer rather than Coachman.

Why waste your time going to Coachman? Stick to your legal rights with the retailer as Fastnet and I have both said. Otherwise, you will just delay matters.

Ring the club's legal boffins if in any doubt.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 01/09/2022 09:51

Posted on 01/09/2022 09:51

It’s the old ‘switcheroo’ tactic of trying to switch blame eventually leading to customer not bothering. . .Pip, don’t give in they are all taking you for a mug. I had a similar dispute with B&Q, I bought an item, it was faulty out of the box. B&Q attempted to give me the address of the manufacturer. I refused it. They then tried to get me to contact my card issuer(🤣🤣) I contacted trading standards who gave me the law in question. B&Q apologised & changed my item & delivered it FOC👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 01/09/2022 10:12

Posted on 31/08/2022 21:10 by Barnsley Pip

Dear Tinwheeler,

Posted on 01/09/2022 10:12

The manufacturer stand's at the show are manned by salespersons from dealerships your point of call and responsibilities are with the dealer you bought it from, and it is their responsibility to sort   it may just be the bed frame is not level if Belfield say the mattress is not faulty ?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook