Towing Mirrors

VanMan1 replied on 21/04/2017 06:06

Posted on 21/04/2017 06:06

Can anybody please advise me on suitable towing mirrors for a Yeti Outdoors (2014 model)?  My "rubber strap" type cannot cope with the very curved shape of the door mirrors and I have reservations about those that bolt onto the door mirror rim - are they secure, do they damage the door mirror.  Any advice would be appreciated.

SteveL replied on 21/04/2017 08:02

Posted on 21/04/2017 08:02

I assume this will get moved to parts and accessories, as although it says ask, you should not post in ask the expert, except when invited. However, as to mirrors.

As long as they will fit, and they seem to fit most mirrors, the bolt onto rim Milenco Aero are fine. I have been using them for 10 years, on several cars, with no sign of damage. Miraculously, not even  when a police car whacked one, when accessing an accident on a blocked motorway.

Milothedog replied on 21/04/2017 08:15

Posted on 21/04/2017 08:15

I have a pair of Milneco Grand Areo's  and can't fault them. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for and can buy spare parts if one gets damaged. I seem to recall that their website has/had and application listing for what type fitted what vehicle.

IanH replied on 21/04/2017 12:01

Posted on 21/04/2017 12:01

I have the Milenco clamp on type. They have never caused any damage. I find they are not quite as rigid as the ones with the rubber strap, but they are certainly good enough.

BillandMargaret replied on 21/04/2017 15:40

Posted on 21/04/2017 15:40

I have also used the Milenco type on my last 3 tow cars with no problems. My present tow car, I have put the clamping brackets onto the lower edge of the mirror, there is a bit more space in order too get the 2 rigid flat pieces in, then bolt up. Turn the mirrors so that the pointed end is at the top, and it gives me a good rear vision of the road at the back of the van.

harrib0 replied on 21/04/2017 17:50

Posted on 21/04/2017 17:50

Another owner of Milneco Grand Areo's. Very good and little vibration.

They clamp well on to the car mirror housing (without any damage)

Only thing I would say is try before you buy! I have the standard size arms and have just ordered the longer arms as I feel I would like a better view down the nearside of the caravan, it wasn't that bad but I feel the longer arms will make it better (off side was good with standard arms)

VanMan1 replied on 26/04/2017 10:38

Posted on 26/04/2017 10:38

Many thanks to everybody for their helpful suggestions and advice. The Milenco mirrors seem to be the most popular and I have been in contact with them to confirm their suitability for the Yeti, their reply is  "I can advise that our Aero 3 range of mirrors will fit perfectly fine ".

Despite their assurance I will still try them at the dealers before buying, just to be on the safe side.

G Cherokee replied on 28/04/2017 22:00

Posted on 28/04/2017 22:00

I have a pair of Falcon mirrors, very very similar to Millenco.

They fit on my Jeep brilliantly, survived an on coming M class mirror meet without a mark!

Totally recommend.

wallacebob replied on 29/04/2017 23:03

Posted on 29/04/2017 23:03

Another +1 for Milenco. My Yeti mirrors are fine, but I have had a detached mirror glass due to the tight spacing around the glass. I believe Milenco now do a thinner "foot" to stop this problem.

VanMan1 replied on 30/04/2017 13:28

Posted on 29/04/2017 23:03 by wallacebob

Another +1 for Milenco. My Yeti mirrors are fine, but I have had a detached mirror glass due to the tight spacing around the glass. I believe Milenco now do a thinner "foot" to stop this problem.

Posted on 30/04/2017 13:28

A new clamping system has been introduced with the new Aero 3 models which is supposed to be better and I suspect these have the thinner foot you mentioned.  When looking at the price of the mirrors I noticed that a few sellers (even some well known caravan dealers) were not specifying which model they were selling but when contacted admitted that they were the older Aero 2 model.  I will take note of your advice when trying them.

Many thanks

Qashqai66 replied on 30/04/2017 14:40

Posted on 30/04/2017 14:40

After years of Milenco mirrors I gave up on them for a few reasons.  I found them a fiddle to attach to the car (arthritic hands don't help) and very awkward to adjust with much shouting back and forth with my wife doing the honours on the near side. I also disliked the vibration.

I then purchased a pair of "Suck it and See" mirrors which are all right but not ideal.  The suction mounting causes a loss of vision in the car door mirror and the view from the mirror extension is small on account of the size.

I have just come across Milenco Falcon mirrors and think I might give them a try.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook