Mud or wet grass grip tracks

Aerosailor replied on 15/05/2017 08:25

Posted on 15/05/2017 08:25

I've just changed my car to another one with rear wheel drive. I've not experienced any "getting stuck" problems with previous vehicles but had a slight issue after rain with this one in a national trust car park yesterday when solo and this surprised me. I thought I should maybe get some portable tracks to store in the boot for caravanning. Can anyone recommend a brand? Or should I get some chains? My rig is a Mercedes E220 CDI Estate and a Bailey Senator 5 Oklahoma. No problems with my old BMW 530d Estate bit maybe I was just lucky!

EmilysDad replied on 15/05/2017 09:58

Posted on 15/05/2017 09:58

I'd not worry. I've only had RWD cars (up to buying a 4x4) & rarely had problems. A caravan on the back is going to help traction

paul56 replied on 15/05/2017 10:01

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:01

Presumably the weight of the van is going to add to the weight on the driving wheels and so you ought to be better off. We've been stuck several times with front wheel drive cars on deep, wet grass but generally there's a way round it. I wouldn't worry too much.

brian1 replied on 15/05/2017 10:09

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:09

Actually, no, a caravan on the back will not help at all.  On muddy ground a) the less weight you have the better b) the caravan itself acts as a drag, particularly if it also is getting bogged down.

brian1 replied on 15/05/2017 10:14

Posted on 15/05/2017 08:25 by Aerosailor

I've just changed my car to another one with rear wheel drive. I've not experienced any "getting stuck" problems with previous vehicles but had a slight issue after rain with this one in a national trust car park yesterday when solo and this surprised me. I thought I should maybe get some portable tracks to store in the boot for caravanning. Can anyone recommend a brand? Or should I get some chains? My rig is a Mercedes E220 CDI Estate and a Bailey Senator 5 Oklahoma. No problems with my old BMW 530d Estate bit maybe I was just lucky!

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:14

I suspect you were just lucky with the BMW laughing

Old strips of carpet are as good as anything at the first level.  Waffle boards are the next level up, but they take up space and cost, so are probably not worth it.

Take a long towrope.  If you can get your tug on to firm ground and then use it to attach to the 'van, it'll probably be enough to pull it off.

JVB66 replied on 15/05/2017 10:16

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:14 by brian1

I suspect you were just lucky with the BMW laughing

Old strips of carpet are as good as anything at the first level.  Waffle boards are the next level up, but they take up space and cost, so are probably not worth it.

Take a long towrope.  If you can get your tug on to firm ground and then use it to attach to the 'van, it'll probably be enough to pull it off.

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:16

If the jockey wheel does not ploughundecided

Takethedogalong replied on 15/05/2017 10:43

Posted on 15/05/2017 10:43

If you like to stay on grass pitches, then the waffle boards mentioned will be a good investment. They are what 4x4 drivers use when playing in mud! Don't cost much, on the heavy side, but with proper use you shouldn't get stuck. We carry a pair on back of our MH, if weather looks dodgy, park drive wheels on them....no problems. Check out 4x4 equipment websites, £35 is what we paid for ours, so decent price. You want good ones, not cheap rubbish.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/05/2017 11:40

Posted on 15/05/2017 11:40

Weight over the rear axle will help but you shouldn't have a problem with a RWD car unless you're heavy footed on the throttle. 

Wildwood replied on 15/05/2017 11:54

Posted on 15/05/2017 11:54

We bought two plastic tracks many years ago in case we got stuck. Never had to use them as once you have the answer to the problem, the problem never turns up.

Probably a wise precaution for most people though, but if your caravan has a mover fitted then you can use that to get it off the pitch if need be. Certainly the only time we needed the caravan of a very wet pitch it did it without problem.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/05/2017 11:58

Posted on 15/05/2017 11:58

We saw reverse on a CL last year. Why the fool unhitched his car and let mm spin caravan wheels into soft grass instead we will never know. But we towed him out!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook