Motorhome tyres

jrfroud replied on 23/08/2017 09:33

Posted on 23/08/2017 09:33

It looks as if I need 2 new front tyres for the van I recently purchased as I can see some wear on the sides.

My question is, as the tyres probably need to be renewed every five years anyway, is it worth paying the extra for good quality tyres when I can get a budget tyre (which are what I have at present) .

I am only likely to be doing maybe 3000/4000 miles a year.

Justus2 replied on 23/08/2017 09:49

Posted on 23/08/2017 09:49

Personally I would only buy dedicated campervan tyres similar to these VANCOCAMPER tyres....

They are designed for motorhomes, and are designed to carry high weights and are for vehicles that spend long periods of time sat in one place without rotating, and not risk a flat-spot forming. As you say you only do low mileages which is exactly what they are designed for.

Of course you are at liberty to buy which ever tyre suits your pocket but I personally, would feel uncomfortable at high speed on a motorway with a budget tyre.

MichaelT replied on 23/08/2017 10:07

Posted on 23/08/2017 10:07

Agree with Justus2 why risk your life for the sake of a few quid?  Camper Tyres are a must which is why the manufacturers fit them and you insurance may be invalid by not fitting the correct tyres.

Also I think you answered your own question 

My question is, as the tyres probably need to be renewed every five years anyway, is it worth paying the extra for good quality tyres when I can get a budget tyre (which are what I have at present)

You fitted budget tyres and they have worn out, even at 4k miles a year thats 20k over 5 years.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/08/2017 11:16

Posted on 23/08/2017 11:16

Use tyres fit for the purpose and not budget tyres, in my opinion. A budget tyre is fine for occasional short use as a spare but why risk life and limb to save a few quid?

Even higher price tyres aren't that dear compared to many car tyres. What price safety?

Grumblewagon replied on 23/08/2017 13:58

Posted on 23/08/2017 13:58

I don't subscribe to choice based on fear or emotional pressure.

The tyres fitted to my van (Michelin Aguila) were not marked as being motorhome specific, but lasted for 7 years before I bought the van and changed them.  I replaced them with Nokian Cargo tryes which have a slightly higher spec than the Michelins.

They were by no means 'budget' and had good reviews from 'fleet' users.  The most noticible difference is that they are much quieter.

I would say, buy a quality tyre with the correct characteristics.  If you also need a spare, put a budget tyre on that.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/08/2017 17:08

Posted on 23/08/2017 17:08

Whatever you subscribe to, GW, you did the sensible thing in my view. The tyres don't need to be MH specific as that's down to personal choice but your Michelins were also a good quality tyre.

jrfroud replied on 23/08/2017 21:00

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:00

The tyres on the van are about five years old I think (from the date on the tyre).

I wasn't however aware that you could get motor home specific tyres so that was an eye opener.

Thanks all once again, it looks like it will be good quality ones going on tomorrow (I need to change them as we are off for the weekend) as I don't feel comfortable with the ones on the van.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/08/2017 21:24

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:24

Wise decision, jrf.

The camper specific tyres are supposed to give a softer ride and are often more expensive. They aren't made in all sizes and aren't available to fit our van (Sprinter). Have a chat with your tyre depot staff.

jrfroud replied on 30/08/2017 09:19

Posted on 30/08/2017 09:19

I have found all of this a bit of an 'eye opener' as I hadn't owned a motor home before. I have checked the front tyres on my van and found that, although there is plenty of tread on them, they are 10 years old! All the web sites I have found point out that you should not keep tyres for more than a max of 6 years. I was rather disappointed that I had been sold the van with out of date tyres, especially as we bought it from a reputable company. They have now agreed to give me my next annual habitation check for free.

Thornsett replied on 31/08/2017 10:15

Posted on 31/08/2017 10:15

Tyres designed specifically for motorhome tyres can go beyond 6 years and possibly up to 10 years providing they are checked for cracks etc at least once a year. 6 years is when the checks should start in earnest. 

You've done well to get a deal on the habitation service. If you were to keep your van for say 5 years, you would need to change the tyres in that time so you'll get all the benefit during ownership if you change them now. Better to motor on new tyres for 5 years than old tyres for 3 and new tyres for 2.

Motorhome specific tyres are not easy to get hold of all the year round because they are manufactured in batches. I've always bought Michelin Camping tyres although I'd happily have Continental camping tyres. For low mileages and 'easy working' you could probably get away with ordinary good quality van tyres if you needed to save a few bob.

peedee replied on 31/08/2017 13:35

Posted on 31/08/2017 13:35

Why low mileage Aspenshaw? White van man is going to do far more miles in a year than ever a motorhome fitted with ordinary commercial tyres is ever likely to do. I have Michelin Agile commercials all round and they are now in their 6 year with nearly 36  thousand miles on the clock. They are thoroughly checked each MOT and inbetween by me and still looking good.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook