LPG underfloor gas tank

Daviesontour replied on 12/01/2017 15:55

Posted on 12/01/2017 15:55

We bought a Chausson 610 Welcome last year and would like to know what size LPG gas tank could be fitted underneath.

From my research, a 30 litre tank might fit but this wouldn't give me any increase in capacity compared to my conventional calor gas single upright tank.  Has anyone fitted any larger systems?

The main advantage as far as I can work out is the ease of refilling at home or in France/Spain but need to decide if this is sufficient to justify the cost. 

We met someone in France who reckoned it was the best thing since sliced bread but that brings me back to the key question as size clearly does matter!

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Nick

young thomas replied on 12/01/2017 19:09

Posted on 12/01/2017 19:09

yes, the main advantage is that you can fill anywhere very cheaply...

however, another advantage is that you dont have to wait until the tank is empty before filling, so you can top up anywhere you get diesel and they sell LPG.

So, a smallish tank isnt a finite supply as you can top up even abroad whichnyou couldnt do with a similar (finite) supply of Calor.

ive had my refillable for a few years now and its certainly one Id recommend to most MHers.....obviously dependant (to a degree) on their usage.

Doug n San replied on 14/01/2017 20:41

Posted on 14/01/2017 20:41

A refillable system is a must if you plan to move around the EU, I guess that your gas locker dictates small bottles if not then refillable bottles are an option and if you change MH's transferable, where as a fixed under chassis is not.

I do know a guy who had a 70 litre tank put into one of his under seat lockers, that may be an option.

Good luck

Stewartwebr replied on 15/01/2017 03:16

Posted on 15/01/2017 03:16

Current van has a factory fitted under floor tank. Previously, I had two 13kg refillable bottles in the gas locker. The only difference being time between fills and convenience.

If as others have said if you are going to spend time in Europe, especially in winter when using aires refillable is a must as you will soon run out of gas with no ways of getting replacement calor.

The refillable bottles which I had were in the gas locker with the refill point inside the locker. Unlike some others I never had an issue anywhere in the UK or Europe when refilling, granted I only refilled a few times in the UK.

The current set up has an external fill point but requires the side locker skirt to be opened which may look like it is not an external point, again no issues or challenges.

For me the saving is a bonus but the requirement to be able to replenish my gas supply anywhere in Europe is the main driving force to having them. Winter use in Europe would be very hard without them unless you have campinggaz etc.

If you have room in your gas locker why not consider refillable, easier to install and can be taken from van to van when you change.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook