Induction hobs

Bretty57 replied on 23/08/2017 21:37

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:37

Can you use an induction hob in a camper van when hooked up on a site ?  The model that I am looking at is 450-2100 watts. Thanks for your help. 

Fozzie replied on 24/08/2017 00:02

Posted on 24/08/2017 00:02

First of all,I am a massive fan of Induction Hobs and I have fitted at least three of them over the years.

But the lowest ampage induction hob on the market is 3kw which is around 13 amp ,so I take it from your post you are looking at each ring or ring,when you say 450w ,so theorectically yes you can fit an induction hob,you just have one, two,three rings on at a time,but that does not leave you much from the sites 16amp supply.so use of heating,kettles,water heaters,microwaves ect must be restricted.

If you have found a 2100watt induction hob could you please send details. "Normal" induction hobs require a 32a supply.This requires another directly circuit from the consumer unit. 

Pippah45 replied on 24/08/2017 09:56

Posted on 24/08/2017 09:56

Nice one micky - my single one at home has just died on me and I did use it onsite - but never on full.  Maplins it is! 

Bretty57 replied on 24/08/2017 10:52

Posted on 24/08/2017 10:52

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for putting my query in the right place.  My husband and I (I sound like the Queen!), are new to this and are first time Motor Home owners.

The hob I am thinking of buying is the Tefal IH201840 with one hot plate.  The specifications say that the wattage is from 450 to 2100.  I cannot find any other reference to ampage etc.  I assume the variation is because it has different settings for boiling water, slow cooking etc.  

As you can tell I don't know the difference between watts, amps etc.  Does this clarify things?

Many thanks  

mickysf replied on 24/08/2017 11:20

Posted on 24/08/2017 11:20

We have that very hob at home and find it excellent. I have a suspicion mind that the lower wattage settings are simulated. By that I mean it is on full power but cycles itself on and off to simulate a lower setting, I may be wrong mind. Just a thought based on my experience of using it and that I've never witnessed induction hobs cope well with a true simmer, that is a constant and steady low heat cooking method.

Bretty57 replied on 24/08/2017 11:59

Posted on 24/08/2017 11:59

Thanks for that but have you ever used it on a site.  I am still confused about Fozzie from Kent's reply? 

mickysf replied on 24/08/2017 12:13

Posted on 24/08/2017 11:59 by Bretty57

Thanks for that but have you ever used it on a site.  I am still confused about Fozzie from Kent's reply? 

Posted on 24/08/2017 12:13

My van is a continental with only gas hobs, Yes, we did take it with us once but used it only a couple of times over a few weeks trip, I then questioned the need and extra weight so haven't bothered since. When I did use it I just plugged it in, made sure everything else electrical, apart from the fridge, was off and only used it then on the 'lower' settings. All worked well at that time. I did then look at the Maplins mini hob but was aware of the need to buy new small pans to work with it and didn't bother buying it due to the costs involved and limitations.

Simon100 replied on 24/08/2017 21:14

Posted on 24/08/2017 21:14

We use the Tefal in the caravan. We leave it on the default setting, which is 450watts and the EHU copes perfectly well with this. 

Even on that setting it is much quicker to boil water than the solid plate on our caravan cooker and, of course, it uses the site electrics and not or gas.

Don't forget that you need specific pans; they must be metal rather than copper or aluminium.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook