Flat battery

pvsdb replied on 12/03/2017 19:27

Posted on 12/03/2017 19:27

New to this game!  I've let the battery on our Ducato 2.2D based motorhome do flat and can't start it with jump leads from our 2.0 Mazda 3.  Our insurance includes roadside assistance but only over 1 mile from home.  It is parked outside our flat roadside.  Any ideas what I can do?

Longer-term what do I do to avoid this happening?

Thanks.

peedee replied on 13/03/2017 07:49

Posted on 13/03/2017 07:49

Go and buy a inteligent battery charger, that is one which gives you the option to leave the battery on trickle charge. If you let the forum know what model motorhome you have further advice could be forth coming from owners of similar models.

peedee

EmilysDad replied on 13/03/2017 08:12

Posted on 13/03/2017 08:12

why can't you jump start it from your car? undecided Depending on how flat your battery is, depends on whether a smart charger will start to charge it .... they often need to see a certain voltage to start off with.

Justus2 replied on 13/03/2017 08:21

Posted on 13/03/2017 08:21

I notice you say      It is parked outside our flat roadside

This may prevent you from charging with a charger which needs a mains supply.

I'm not sure why it isn't starting from a jump start from your car. If your van battery is very flat, you will need to connect the jump leads between the 2 vehicles and run the engine in the car at a rate faster than tick over for at least 5 mins to get some charge into the vans battery. Then it may well start.

How do you prevent it in the future ? Take your van for at least a 30 min run every week or perhaps invest in a small solar panel..

Fisherman replied on 13/03/2017 08:37

Posted on 13/03/2017 08:37

If its like mine you need to read the M/H instructions carefully. My elct board slows charging of the habitation batteries by default. However you can switch to "vehicle battery" at a touch. Only found out when I had your problem. Now whenever I put on 240 V from the house mains I switch to ensure vehicle battery also charges. Doesn't your bank account goodies have breakdown? Mine does and it includes home assistance.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 13/03/2017 08:55

Posted on 13/03/2017 08:55

are your jump leads of a good quality? There are a lot of cheap aluminium or thin copper wire sets out there, that just aren't capable of delivering the high starting amperage.

Leaving the slave car running for a short while should boost up the vehicle to assist with starting, but do make sure that nothing is left switched on or you will just waste your time.

When a battery lets you down, it's either down to something being left on or end of life is near. Some batteries can self-discharge over a period of time but not to the point that a boost won't start a vehicle. 

When a battery lets you down, it's time to start thinking about replacement.

another thought - is the starter or engine seized?

and being pedantic, from my college days, "you only get flat batteries by running over then - batteries that are low on voltage are discharged"!🤔

N1805 replied on 13/03/2017 09:57

Posted on 13/03/2017 09:57

Two ideas for the future – 1. Take M’Home out for a run on a regular basis. 2. If your M’home isn’t going to be run regularly then you could consider a solar panel to charge the leisure battery & a battery transfer unit to transfer power from the leisure battery [when it is full] to the vehicle battery.

ABM replied on 13/03/2017 11:27

Posted on 13/03/2017 11:27

Is  the  inability  to  jump  start  your  'van  due  to  not  being  sure  of  where  the  battery  is  ??

If  that's  your  problem  --  read  the  vehicle  h/book  carefully  'cos  it  should  tell  you  where  to  connect  the  jump  leads  under  the  bonnet.  There  have  made  arrangements  for  this  very  problem  !!

Or  if  you  just  cannot  get  enough  waft  from  your  Mazdas  battery  can  you  make  the  connections  and  then  run the  Mazda  for  a  while  to  give  'm  both  a  bit  of  ooomph.

B

Asto replied on 21/03/2017 19:32

Posted on 21/03/2017 19:32

You can buy a heavy duty charger with jump start facility or better (and cheaper) still find a local mobile mechanic who has one. This happened to me once when we due to go off touring. The problem with jump starting from a car battery is that the current needed to start a battery for a 2 litre plus Diesel engine is way beyond what a normal car can put out unless you have an equivalent sized engine eg a Landrover.
If the battery is too far gone (sulfated) even driving around to recharge it won't work and you will need a new one.

KeithandMargaret replied on 22/03/2017 10:01

Posted on 22/03/2017 10:01

After 10 days is the OP still scratching their head at the roadside or is the OP having trouble replying to the helpful advice given on here?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook