Condensation issues on motorhome

nd5061 replied on 14/12/2016 22:44

Posted on 14/12/2016 22:44

We are trying to find a way of reducing or even better eradicating condensation within our motorhome when it is left on our drive between trips. We have considered dehumidifiers or low wattage cartridge heaters placed in the unit. 

Can anyone offer any help on this based on experience?

any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thornsett replied on 15/12/2016 09:16

Posted on 15/12/2016 09:16

We just don't get condensation inside when not using the motorhome.

The trick is ventilation. This will partly depend on whether your drive gets a good flow of air, whether your motorhome is well ventilated inside [varies considerably by make/model], and how frequently hot blooded people go in the motorhome - the more frequent, the greater the condensation risk.

We've never used heaters or dehumidifiers in our twenty plus years of motorhoming. Some people do and say it works. In the early days, we would remove the soft furnishing and bedding but we haven't even bothered with that for the last 16 years. We leave the curtains tied back and the blinds up. When we do go in - perhaps once or twice a week, we leave the door open. 

QFour replied on 15/12/2016 09:21

Posted on 15/12/2016 09:21

Dehumidifiers are a wast of time because all you are doing is dehumidifying all the air. Motorhomes have so many holes in them that new air just keeps coming in. Even the roof lights don't have a tight seal they just have deep lips all the way round. Small heaters don't work as the warmth from them on the windows can cause condensation. So you are left with good ventilation and keeping an eye on whats happening inside the MH. Best thing to do is use it rather than leave it sitting around. That way you move all the air round and warm everything up.

Briang replied on 15/12/2016 09:27

Posted on 15/12/2016 09:27

I don't have a motorhome in my caravan I leave a small fan heater set to 8 degrees. Comes on when it drops below. Never had condensation.

mickysf replied on 15/12/2016 11:47

Posted on 15/12/2016 11:47

Caravans and motorhomes are extremely well ventilated, they have to be and there are essential reasons for this. The air inside is constantly being replaced with that outside so dehumidifies are a waste of time and money. For them to work you would need to seal the vents completely. The best things to do is remove all possible water storage and materials that  absorb water from the stored van. If condensation is an issue whilst you are living in it them the problem is most likely to be a lack of ventilation. 

nd5061 replied on 15/12/2016 12:51

Posted on 15/12/2016 12:51

I would agree that in a perfect world it would be used all the time and they're would be no question of condensation. however we are one of those people that still have to work to earn a living!!!

BrianJosie replied on 15/12/2016 16:44

Posted on 15/12/2016 16:44

we have our Arto on the drive at home ,always hooked up,Alde heating on low all the time .insulated blind down on the windscreen,does the job a treat no condensation at all    :-)

Brian & Jo

brue replied on 15/12/2016 19:06

Posted on 15/12/2016 19:06

We leave all the doors and cupboards open, including under the seats. The coldest spot in our van is usually at the back in a low kitchen cupboard. We get some condensation if the humidity outside suddenly increases, same with our car. We don't own or use silver screens, ventilation is the key. We sometimes leave a heater on a frost stat but that's because we have easy access to outside electrics at home.

Fisherman replied on 17/12/2016 20:38

Posted on 17/12/2016 20:38

Ours is on the drive with elect access. Will use dehumidifier after prolonged wet weather and fan heater=.Mostly we open all doors in dry weather and air well. Never remove bedding etc. but we use regularly through the winter. Supposed  to be nice day tomorrow so will open all doors for most of the daytime.

nd5061 replied on 20/12/2016 11:02

Posted on 20/12/2016 11:02

thanks for all responses. I will try some of them as it is not a massive issue but one that needs sorting.

Happy Christmas to you all

Doug n San replied on 21/12/2016 13:02

Posted on 15/12/2016 09:21 by QFour

Dehumidifiers are a wast of time because all you are doing is dehumidifying all the air. Motorhomes have so many holes in them that new air just keeps coming in. Even the roof lights don't have a tight seal they just have deep lips all the way round. Small heaters don't work as the warmth from them on the windows can cause condensation. So you are left with good ventilation and keeping an eye on whats happening inside the MH. Best thing to do is use it rather than leave it sitting around. That way you move all the air round and warm everything up.

Posted on 21/12/2016 13:02

I have to disagree with the statement that "dehumidifiers are a waste of time" from personal experience when my Swift roof developed corrosion and let a lot of water into the roof structure.

I removed the fridge vent covers and sealed them up on the inside with light weight plastic sheets (shopping bags) and refitted them, then set the dehumidifier to work 24/7.

At first I was getting more than 8 litres per day, but after 2 weeks it started to reduce, after10 weeks it had gone down to 2 or 3 litres per day and my moisture meter tests had gone from soaking wet to an exceptionable level 10 or 12 percent proving that the water had been removed by the dehumidifier.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook