Awnings

Adiemidd replied on 11/05/2017 16:40

Posted on 11/05/2017 16:40

i have recently purchased my first caravan, a 2001 Elddis gt Gulf Stream.  I am looking to buy an inflatable awning and would appreciate advice as to the best one to buy.  I would also like suggestions as to what maximum size awning I should purchase to suit my caravan

Wildwood replied on 12/05/2017 12:09

Posted on 12/05/2017 12:09

If you want a full size awnings you need to buy the correct size. If you have the handbook it should be in there. If not run a length of string through the awning rail from the ground at one end to the ground at the other to get the size. Sizes are quoted in mm so use them and if you find yourself in between sizes I would go one up.

If you want a porch awning then these are quoted in their length and anything less should fit. Do however note the position of the door and windows on the side of the caravan and try to avoid it ending over the window.

As for the best, the simple answer is look at the price. As with all things you get what you pay for, and those that cost more are generally better made and will last longer. I would set a budget and see what you can get, but check them out before you buy to see if they feel right.

JVB66 replied on 12/05/2017 12:25

Posted on 12/05/2017 12:25

According to the Isabella awnings website a 2001 Gulfstream A measurement is 836cm and their full 825cm will fit

Milothedog replied on 12/05/2017 14:16

Posted on 12/05/2017 14:16

If you just want an inflatable porch awning have a look at the Bradcot Aspire Air. I bought the 260 model last year and am very pleased with it.

I think it has been discontinued now in favour the modular one but if you shop around I'm sure someone will still have 2016 stock at a good price. I chose the Bradcot over other ones because of the quality and it came with everything including an electric pump. With some you have to buy extras like back poles, storm straps etc.

I also went to a local dealers that had a large display so we could compare different manufactures.

Adiemidd replied on 10/06/2017 18:40

Posted on 10/06/2017 18:40

Thanks for your comments. 

I revcently went to a local Camping and Caravan shop and asked for some help in purchasing an awning and when I gave them details of the caravan they suggested a Sunncamp Swift Air 260.

Having used it once I found that the pump didn't work and as I was on a hardstanding the pegs I had with it didn't work!

Anyway, they did replace the pump immediately without a problem but I then asked if they could supply an annexe to go with this model, the answer was NO.

I therefore wonder if anyone can suggest the best "Full Awning" I should buy.

thanks

ValDa replied on 12/06/2017 10:18

Posted on 12/06/2017 10:18

Well my suggestion would be to work out exactly what size awning your caravan requires, and then look on the Classified Ads on this website, and on UKCS and see what is available second hand in that size. That way you get to test a full awning to see if it suits your needs without spending a huge amount more money.   We bought a really nice full size Bradcot with easy erect frame, for just £50 and it was immaculate, just like new.  It literally took minutes to erect, and no pump was required, so it was as easy as an inflatable and to me much sturdier and robust than an air awning.  There don't seem to be any really cheap ones advertised at the moment, but they usually sell quickly!

There are some excellent makes, Isabella is said to be the best, but really it's down to personal preference as to what suits you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook