Leaking Thetford cassette toilet C260

Mothman replied on 19/07/2017 14:47

Posted on 19/07/2017 14:47

We recently bought a new caravan. When I open the external door to remove the cassette, I find that urine/flush water has leaked into the cabinet. Even when we open the blade during use, this happens.

I have returned the 'van to the dealer, and they have said there is nothing wrong with the toilet, and we should only use it with the blade open! I note in the Thetford booklet it states the loo can be used with it open or closed.

This is my fourth caravan. With previous ones the cassette has had a large plastic clip, that clicked into place when the cassette was pushed in. It was solid. The C260 doesn't have this, and there is a degree of movement.

What's the expert opinion?

harryb replied on 20/07/2017 14:50

Posted on 20/07/2017 14:50

Sorry for my mis information. Go back to my description of flushing the loo with the cassette removed and look for leakage from the flushing pipe within the casing of the loo.

The reason I say this is that I had this problem when the van was new. When taking out the cassette to empty there was puddles of toilet pink in the floor of the housing. It was caused by a fractured plastic elbow joint where the feed pipe entered the bowl. You could clearly see pink fluid seeping back along the outside of the feeder pipe and drippin onto the housing floor. This was found when the loo casing was dismantled by the dealer.

Mothman replied on 20/07/2017 16:51

Posted on 20/07/2017 16:51

Hi Harry - unfortunately, there's is also a strong smell of urine, which seems to rule out your explanation. Thanks anyway...

young thomas replied on 20/07/2017 19:22

Posted on 20/07/2017 19:22

ok, ive just been and checked the seals etc on our toilet.

first question, are you peeing into the toilet with the blade closed, and then opening the blade to drain the toilet into the cassette?

if so, then im fairly sure that any fluid over the level of the cassette seal will not be (totally) kept in check by the 'seal' between the bottom of the loo and the top of the cassette...

.....although there is a seal there, with the cassette seal pushing up against the bottom of the loo, there isnt really much pressure to keep it fully watertight.

the more flexible and pliable the rubber seal, the more chance of a good tight fit, olive oil rubbed in helps.

as a test, try using the loo with the blade open and see if things improve.

Mothman replied on 21/07/2017 09:51

Posted on 21/07/2017 09:51

As I said, BoleroBoy, we've used it with the blade open - but after use you flush and then close the blade to stop smells. However, what happens then is that flush water clinging to the side of the toilet bowl, will slowly trickle down and sit on top of the blade and rubber seal. I think it is this, tinged with urine, that then gets between the seal and drips into the cabinet. This is my 4th caravan, and I have never had this problem before. But then it was before the C260 was brought out...

young thomas replied on 21/07/2017 10:17

Posted on 21/07/2017 10:17

ok, i see what you mean.

normally, the bit that trickles down, stays above the blade but perhaps the seal in the cassette isnt seated correctly?

its very easy to take the seal out, give it a good wipe with olive oil, really work it in, and then refit the seal.

again, test with the flush to see if this has kept the compartment dry.

good luck.

replied on 25/07/2017 22:14

Posted on 25/07/2017 22:14

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook