Towing North Coast 500

ALVIV replied on 03/08/2021 13:57

Posted on 03/08/2021 13:57

Hi 

Just starting to plan a trip anti clockwise on the NC500 for May 2022, with our 7.4mtr caravan behind a SSangyong Korando.

We live in the midlands and plan to drive to Edinburgh for a couple of nights the to Inverness and start the trip from there and returning there at the end of the trip.

My wife has been talking to someone who did the route on a motorcycle, saying various comments about shear drops and very narrow roads with very few passing places and extremely tight twisting roads, so would appreciate advice from people who have done this trip with a caravan, to hopefully lay my wife's fears to rest.

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the CAMC magazine that covered the  NC500. 

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Tammygirl replied on 03/08/2021 20:59

Posted on 03/08/2021 20:59

We did the NC500 in May this year towing a caravan, its the second time we've done it. First time was 30 years ago towing a 6 berth caravan.

There are some single track roads across the top but they are not bad and there is no drop offs, plenty of passing places to be had.

There are a couple of single track roads on the west coast but again, plenty of passing places. Don't know where these drop offs are, we never saw any that would scare us.

If you are confident at towing and you take your time it is perfectly doable. Thousands do it every year.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/08/2021 21:16

Posted on 03/08/2021 21:16

It’s probably Bealach na Ba near Applecross that person was referring to (check Google). That route is a big no-no but the rest is very doable as TG said.

Just read your map for gradients and single track indications and use passing places sensibly to pass oncoming traffic and to allow others to overtake you and you’ll be fine. The NC500 can be very busy these days so May is likely a good time to go. Check out UK Campsite website for sites away from the areas where club sites exist.

I think you can access the magazine online via this website.

eurortraveller replied on 03/08/2021 22:15

Posted on 03/08/2021 22:15

ALVIV, If you type “NC 500 with caravan” in your internet search box you will find all you need to know. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook