Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

replied on 28/08/2017 09:04

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:45 by Tinwheeler

Thankyou, HH, for giving your views in such a well balanced and eloquent way. It's been interesting hearing the story of a relative newbie.

Have you considered putting your views and wish list to CAMC in exactly those tones?

I can fully understand your point of view although I don't share it. We started caravanning in the early 1970s with a van (avatar) that had none of the modern day refinements, as was the norm at that time. It was nearly 20 years before we acquired our first van equipped for use on EHU and the benefits of pitching and simply plugging in were huge and we haven't looked back since. We enjoy using the electric ring of the hob and the microwave and all the other luxurious gadgets by simply plugging in the cable.

As I keep saying, there is room for all types of vanning and I've found your point of view well worth reading.

Posted on 28/08/2017 09:04

can fully understand your point of view although I don't share it. We started caravanning in the early 1970s with a van (avatar) that had none of the modern day refinements, as was the norm at that time.

Similar experience. Anybody who caravanned then would be well aware how little battery power was needed at that time and whilst that has increased by the use of electronic control, installed radios and heating pumps the amount of power consumed by lighting has dropped markedly on modern 'vans. 

The fact that we used the car for trips to local areas etc was enough to keep the car battery charged and many, like myself, simply connected to the car. I used this method as a sole source of electric power until 1995 when I installed mains electric to run kettle, spot lights, the fridge and a fan heater when required. This was solely because EHU had generally been included in pitch fees on sites. I still connected to the car for main lighting and water pump until my purchase of a new caravan in 2005.

Solar panels on new caravans have become pretty mainstream now. Either as part of the package or an offered accessory. The only reason that it becomes more complicated than that is people wanting to use additional equipment such as hair driers, laptops, larger TVs etc. I doubt that there are many older experienced caravanners that are not aware of the possibilities of solar panels.

What in my opinion makes a large difference at the present is the development of refillable gas. During the summer gas usage on calor might be around £1.70 a day of EHU. In Spring Autumn and Winter when gas heating might be required that is a different matter. I would expect calor to cost as much as £10 a day in Winter to heat the caravan and run the fridge etc. From what I read from Merve and others using refillables this is likely to reduce the cost to more like £3 a day.

This change could have a marked effect for some in the winter particularly with regard to choice of site. Without such a reduction in gas costs, as appears to be available with refillables, using EHU in Winter was a no-brainer in my view with gas being an expensive option even if compared to using a non facility, no EHU grass field. 

For those like me who always use main CC sites or commercials the use of refillables holds no attraction. No significant financial benefit and having to refill off site. It would take me over 10 years to recover the outlay. 

brue replied on 28/08/2017 09:15

Posted on 28/08/2017 09:15

We have done short break winter vanning off EHU without using excessive gas. Probably in the depth of a very cold winter this might be a problem but your average chilly weekend not too bad. smile

brue replied on 28/08/2017 09:24

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:16 by Hedgehurst

Thank you TW, I'm looking forward to getting back to it!

I can only speak from our own experience, that when buying our first van last Winter we came from knowing lots about camping but nothing about caravans, which were a foreign country to us, and the CMC site seemed an authoritative place to start. Agreed, the equipment is jumping off the shelves when you know where to look. The small section in our local caravan store, White Arches, (not where we bought our van) is useful but doesn't exactly shout too loudly, and the CMC doesn't flag it up well at all - witness the conversations Merve reports with people who are surprised that you actually can survive more than a few minutes away from mains hook-up, and wish they'd realised.

Website: I'd like it if amid the many headings under Advice and Training there was one on using Solar Power, as well as the existing one on how to use EHU.  Such information as I did meet seemed to require serious electrical knowledge, which I lack. Once I learned more, and had swapped the old bulbs for LED's, the initial matter of getting a panel and connecting up was remarkably simple, and not the hurdle I'd expected. More, basic, information on the website would have made this less daunting. And I'm motivated to want to find this stuff!
(Decent info on other eco stuff, loo blue etc, on website too, likewise.)

Forum: It wasn't until I found Merve's postings under this "How to Save Money" forum section that using solar panels even occurred to us as a serious possibility - we'd seen some on occasional campervans, and things, but assumed it was some sort of accessory to charge a light up or something, & hadn't realised what a difference they could make. It'll be no surprise that we're into Green energy. If there had been a section on Greener Caravanning, I'd have made a beeline for it. Saving money is great, but it's only half the equation, and more and more informed people are taking an interest, and still more need to. (Oops, I'm evangelising!)
So a forum section on Green, or Eco, or whatever, caravanning, would be great.

Club Sites: Yes, cheaper non-EHU pitches would be great. But since the majority are still dependent on The Cable, that would mean nights when sites turned people away, so they ain't likely to do that! More availability of options to choose to pay for hook-up or do without would be a useful start.... can't see that catching on too well with the accountants or sponsors, though!

Ever more organisations, like the National Trust, are offering information on how they're making their heritage and other sites greener, using alternative energy, saving water, etc. We've not used many CMC sites yet, and those were mainly in Scotland, but I didn't spot much evidence of this going on. More recycled grey water, more solar panels on the onsite buildings; solar heating for the showers with standard power back-up. (We've used non-club sites in this country where this works perfectly well.)
Such measures would be likely to more than pay their way, too.
Ideally, I'd love to see more places like the superb CL in Oxon where you can try out solar panel use to see how effective it is; again, as a relative newcomers, the image we've perceived is of the CMC still firmly catering for the dinosaur age in this respect.

Magazine: again, we've only seen these since last Winter, but our impression is that while there's what feels like an occasional rather condescending nod to these pretty extreme people who will try and use this eccentric solar energy stuff, there's nothing like a regular, informed column discussing matters of going more green.

Many caravanners are, indeed, an ageing population, so there's likely to be more sticking to the accepted ways, I accept. We've only come to it as our ageing joints and energy levels have made tenting at last less practical, and increasing retirement, (we've both been freelance for some years),  allows more time for holidays, if not too many expensive ones. But there's a lot of people of our age taking a very active interest in all things ecological, and a growing number of younger people coming into caravans too and the CMC would seem to be missing a trick if it doesn't cater for this audience, and its makeover seems purely cosmetic rather than truly bringing it into the 21st Century.

As has been said, to pick up some new sponsorship from those promoting the new technologies would be great - I too can't help wondering how much the existing sponsors drive the whole thing....

I could go on, but since you kindly asked, these are some things I'd like to see happening.

Best wishes.

Posted on 28/08/2017 09:24

Good post HH. This is about how people think now, not how people did things in the past. Views on energy consumption and production have changed and the Club could be moving forward on so many things but isn't. Their latest article on electric cars cars for instance was poor and not up to date, they continue to promote heavy energy use.

young thomas replied on 28/08/2017 10:14

Posted on 28/08/2017 09:24 by brue

Good post HH. This is about how people think now, not how people did things in the past. Views on energy consumption and production have changed and the Club could be moving forward on so many things but isn't. Their latest article on electric cars cars for instance was poor and not up to date, they continue to promote heavy energy use.

Posted on 28/08/2017 10:14

Brue, have to agree with your (and HH's) post.

the club rarely seem to be ahead of the curve, perferring to be reactive (although unbelievably slowly at times....) and not pro-active.

it has no interest at present in raising member awareness to a subject that might well cause them to try non-EHUing as this would, inevitibly, mean it being away from the CC network, and its commensurate income loss.

whilst some might 'give it a go' at CLs, these are still not generating income for the club and, im afraid, this is the main reason the 'club' exists.....not a derogatory comment, merely a fact of todays business life.

CC promotes many 'processes/techniques' for its members within its web pages and magazines but rarely would it sanction an article that might encourage members to consider alternatives to the club offerings.

id like to think that the club had a brief within its 'sites team' that were thinking internally about reducing energy overheads on site (im sure it does) but also that this team might present some more in depth articals about what we, the typical member, could do (should we wish to) to reduce our own requirements.

i realise that 'we' arent in a particularly green hobby (tow cars and MHs) but surely, those who generate their own electric once on site must be 'doing a bit better' (from this perspective) than those who don't....

'every little helps' as they (Tesco) might say....smile

thanks HH, i really enjoyed your post.

Pippah45 replied on 28/08/2017 15:23

Posted on 28/08/2017 15:23

Hedgehurst - very well put indeed.   I remember a few years back a lot of noise about encouraging The David Bellamy Awards (was that the other club)  but so little since then when it has become more important to be Greener especially energy wise. 

My home solar panels are doing nicely thank you and after a year with Scottish Power I have received a £100 back and had my monthly payment reduced to £25 which is very pleasing.  It may have to be increased in winter but probably not by much.  The addition of the battery storing solar energy is helping.  I don't need to be so stingy with the hot water and I can use the power shower most of the time with water heated by the immersion free.  smile

I definitely think we should be encouraged to use our modern technology - I am now choosing the other club to get my non - hook up pitch discount when there is a choice it's a no brainer. 

Hedgehurst replied on 28/08/2017 18:16

Posted on 28/08/2017 09:35 by EmilysDad

I thought lighting in the olden days was via a gas mantle wink

Posted on 28/08/2017 18:16

Thanks for the various comments on my post. I feared it was turning into an essay!
Writing to the CMC seems good, thanks for that.

EasyT, your line about not many older experienced caravanners being unaware of solar, and its now being mainstream, is surely right. As noted, I'm saying it from a newbie's point of view.

Refillable gas -   high on the list of things to seriously consider, probably next year now. The ideal would be a practical way of cooking in the van that doesn't use fossil fuel derived gas but that's likely to be a long way ahead.

Maybe I've got a primitively skewed view of what one needs from a caravan, too. Lighting via a gas mantle.... MollysMummy, this time last year we were cheerfully lighting up our ancient camping gaz light, complete with a mantle that's seen around 30 years of annual use, in our tent smile  (yes, on a safe surface well away from the roof, with plenty of ventilation allowed!)

Our van, which we see as luxurious compared to our tents, would probably seem archeological to many here, but it's what we chose for a whole variety of reasons, including its lower drag on the towing car. Towing/driving accommodation round the place isn't a particularly green hobby indeed, but as you rightly say BB, every small move we can make to improve it all adds up.

Lots of constructive things happening on this thread - thanks Merve for starting it!

I'll just add that you reading this here are the informed and interested people who bother to come, and so the more encouraging noises we make about wanting  more "off grid" stuff  outside our echo chamber, the more useful progress we'll make. Even now there's a huge mass of people who see actually doing anything individually about going greener as quite unnecessary, impractical, likely to delay teatime and things like that, even though they're vaguely aware of it. All strength to you PippaH for your home roof panels - ain't they great?! We've driven both the dishwasher and the washing machine in turn off ours today.

Merve replied on 28/08/2017 22:09

Posted on 28/08/2017 22:09

Guys, can we revert to the ' How to thrive' thread please. This has been a good chat but the original OP was for info only. The 'How to thrive' thread is a sticky and if we don't use it, we'll lose it so please , see you there!!

Tinwheeler replied on 28/08/2017 22:23

Posted on 28/08/2017 22:23

Just be aware, HH, that because I and others are interested and like to keep up to date with things it does not mean that we necessarily back your call or are likely to make changes ourselves.

There's a world of difference between reading with interest and actually doing something.

However, I will never stand in the way of someone attempting to do things in the way they want providing it's not to the detriment of others. None of us should ever forget there is more than one way of doing things and an individual's choice is not necessarily right or wrong but what suits them best.

Good luck to you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook