Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/08/2017 11:52

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:26 by Merve

Like I've said Rocks, these things we have now didn't come easily- they were hard fought for- I know I and others enjoy the fruit of these people's labours- why else would they have done it? Thanks for the info- most informative. 

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:52

You're welcome. It shocked me, so in the 1800's they knew the science but didn't have the technology to use it. Life is full of surprises for us all. Every day is a school daysmile

replied on 27/08/2017 12:47

Posted on 27/08/2017 12:47

I suspect C&CC might be more willing. 

As the C&CC have pitches not developed by the addition of EHU they would definitely seem a more likely choice. 

The only way that CC could promote it is in reference to the Non EHU Cls and the ability to make full use of them. I have no idea exactly how many there are. Certified Locations does not have the option to search for those without EHU but around 400. 

Merve replied on 27/08/2017 14:28

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:50 by Tinwheeler

That's interesting, Merve. Perhaps the club see promoting non-EHU vanning as encouraging people to use CLs, or wild camp, rather than the club sites into which the club has heavily invested in the infrastructure by providing EHU. 

As for sponsors, it could work two ways. Think of the revenue that could be generated (sorry, pun) by retailers avertising their off grid equipment. 

I suspect C&CC might be more willing. 

Posted on 27/08/2017 14:28

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure there are good commercial reasons why they are giving this a very wide berth! Look, I ran a business so I know that the bottom line is the important bit , however, I do feel, as others do, that the non EHUer is being ill served by the club. I am all for the club (business) making money but as you so rightly say, why should it not work with new sponsors- i.e. - manufacturers of the modern techs etc. After all, the large gas suppliers have had it all their way for so many years- perhaps it's time to think anew and incorporate everyone of the members by searching for new sponsors.

This is not doing bad as a thread being as it was only for information! 😂😂😂😂but it shows a real interest from both sides if I can put it that way!! 

replied on 27/08/2017 14:41

Posted on 27/08/2017 14:41

I do feel, as others do, that the non EHUer is being ill served by the club.

Other non EHU users might feel that the club is serving them well by having a CL network on which there are over 400 CLs without EHU.

I might just as well say that the CC is treating me badly as I like to use non facility sites but they insist on putting toilet blocks on some of the non facility sites that I have enjoyed and are not replacing those that are lost preferring instead to build facility sites. 

There is very little difference. I don't need a showering facility on sites but pay for it in site fees and so I may as well use it as clean my own shower. Similarly those that use CC sites and don't need EHU may as well plug in as they are paying anyway. 

As far as main sites go I presume that C&CC is a better bet for no EHU users? 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2017 14:59

Posted on 27/08/2017 14:59

"As far as main sites go I presume that C&CC is a better bet for no EHU users?"

In that respect, yes, I think it is, Easy. In other ways I find it restrictive and unnecessarily complicated. For instance, minimum periods of stay when booking and a pricing structure that defies all understanding.

The points you and Merve make demonstrate once again that we are a diverse bunch and that there's no one size fits all with vanning. I suppose it's fair to say that, as long as all types of pitches and sites exist, then there's something for everyone.

Whether the mix is of the right proportions depends on our personal perspective and individual preferences but, for sure, there'll be no satisfying everyone.

Hedgehurst replied on 27/08/2017 20:16

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:43 by Tinwheeler

Sorry to hear you're grounded at the moment, HH.

I'm not so sure that newbies to the hobby aren't aware of the off grid devices such as SPs. They are featured in magazines, on forums and can be found in caravan accessory shops. The 'how to' detail may not be readily available but the basic equipment is pretty much jumping off the shelves at us.

How do you suggest the club helps in this? I can only think of giving people the option of not having EHU.

NB. I am open minded and not advocating on or off grid use but am exploring the points you raised.

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:16

Thank you TW, I'm looking forward to getting back to it!

I can only speak from our own experience, that when buying our first van last Winter we came from knowing lots about camping but nothing about caravans, which were a foreign country to us, and the CMC site seemed an authoritative place to start. Agreed, the equipment is jumping off the shelves when you know where to look. The small section in our local caravan store, White Arches, (not where we bought our van) is useful but doesn't exactly shout too loudly, and the CMC doesn't flag it up well at all - witness the conversations Merve reports with people who are surprised that you actually can survive more than a few minutes away from mains hook-up, and wish they'd realised.

Website: I'd like it if amid the many headings under Advice and Training there was one on using Solar Power, as well as the existing one on how to use EHU.  Such information as I did meet seemed to require serious electrical knowledge, which I lack. Once I learned more, and had swapped the old bulbs for LED's, the initial matter of getting a panel and connecting up was remarkably simple, and not the hurdle I'd expected. More, basic, information on the website would have made this less daunting. And I'm motivated to want to find this stuff!
(Decent info on other eco stuff, loo blue etc, on website too, likewise.)

Forum: It wasn't until I found Merve's postings under this "How to Save Money" forum section that using solar panels even occurred to us as a serious possibility - we'd seen some on occasional campervans, and things, but assumed it was some sort of accessory to charge a light up or something, & hadn't realised what a difference they could make. It'll be no surprise that we're into Green energy. If there had been a section on Greener Caravanning, I'd have made a beeline for it. Saving money is great, but it's only half the equation, and more and more informed people are taking an interest, and still more need to. (Oops, I'm evangelising!)
So a forum section on Green, or Eco, or whatever, caravanning, would be great.

Club Sites: Yes, cheaper non-EHU pitches would be great. But since the majority are still dependent on The Cable, that would mean nights when sites turned people away, so they ain't likely to do that! More availability of options to choose to pay for hook-up or do without would be a useful start.... can't see that catching on too well with the accountants or sponsors, though!

Ever more organisations, like the National Trust, are offering information on how they're making their heritage and other sites greener, using alternative energy, saving water, etc. We've not used many CMC sites yet, and those were mainly in Scotland, but I didn't spot much evidence of this going on. More recycled grey water, more solar panels on the onsite buildings; solar heating for the showers with standard power back-up. (We've used non-club sites in this country where this works perfectly well.)
Such measures would be likely to more than pay their way, too.
Ideally, I'd love to see more places like the superb CL in Oxon where you can try out solar panel use to see how effective it is; again, as a relative newcomers, the image we've perceived is of the CMC still firmly catering for the dinosaur age in this respect.

Magazine: again, we've only seen these since last Winter, but our impression is that while there's what feels like an occasional rather condescending nod to these pretty extreme people who will try and use this eccentric solar energy stuff, there's nothing like a regular, informed column discussing matters of going more green.

Many caravanners are, indeed, an ageing population, so there's likely to be more sticking to the accepted ways, I accept. We've only come to it as our ageing joints and energy levels have made tenting at last less practical, and increasing retirement, (we've both been freelance for some years),  allows more time for holidays, if not too many expensive ones. But there's a lot of people of our age taking a very active interest in all things ecological, and a growing number of younger people coming into caravans too and the CMC would seem to be missing a trick if it doesn't cater for this audience, and its makeover seems purely cosmetic rather than truly bringing it into the 21st Century.

As has been said, to pick up some new sponsorship from those promoting the new technologies would be great - I too can't help wondering how much the existing sponsors drive the whole thing....

I could go on, but since you kindly asked, these are some things I'd like to see happening.

Best wishes.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2017 20:45

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:45

Thankyou, HH, for giving your views in such a well balanced and eloquent way. It's been interesting hearing the story of a relative newbie.

Have you considered putting your views and wish list to CAMC in exactly those tones?

I can fully understand your point of view although I don't share it. We started caravanning in the early 1970s with a van (avatar) that had none of the modern day refinements, as was the norm at that time. It was nearly 20 years before we acquired our first van equipped for use on EHU and the benefits of pitching and simply plugging in were huge and we haven't looked back since. We enjoy using the electric ring of the hob and the microwave and all the other luxurious gadgets by simply plugging in the cable.

As I keep saying, there is room for all types of vanning and I've found your point of view well worth reading.

Merve replied on 27/08/2017 21:25

Posted on 27/08/2017 21:25

That's what I meant when I said 'seeping into the caravaners consciousness " Hedge. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. The fact is whether we like it or not, and you hit the nail on the head when you said that older people tend to stick with what they know. That's just the way it is, all of us elders know that a little confidence is lost as we get older? The club has a big responsibility to try to bring the latest caravan innovations to the members- they have singularly failed to do that. The two articles I have seen over the last 3 years on non EHU have been very low key and certainly with a negative bias. Let's face it, being faced with a completely new way of powering your van after 40 yrs of using the EHU and using a rental cylinder is daunting! - but as you say, it doesn't have to be. Some are motivated and excited by new inventions and some are not. Again, that's just the way it is but I know through contact with caravaners, that there is a huge section who, had they known the full implications and impact of the new technologies, they would have been more than interested. The guys and gals on here are the more motivated as we chat and debate caravan 'things' - we want to know, - most though, are perfectly happy to go away, use their vans and never look beyond that and there is nothing wrong with that but it's always this type of caravanner that I say is gobsmacked when the possibilities are pointed out to them. It 's almost- 'What have I been missing? ' I'm sure one day I will meet one that will say ' I couldn't care less' and that will be fine too! 

black caviar replied on 27/08/2017 22:18

Posted on 27/08/2017 22:18

I really enjoy your texts merve , i also admire the way you keep telling us all the new information about being off grid : because not everybody knows about solar panels , etc  in fact my sister has just had one fitted , so she doesnt have to worry about her battery going flat , keep up the good work , theres new members joining all the time , who wont have a clue (a bit like myself ) and need people like you to tell 'em ! Cheers mrs bc :) ps do you know a good 12 v radio? 

Merve replied on 28/08/2017 00:51

Posted on 28/08/2017 00:51

Hi bc. Thanks. I'll try to keep up the good work! but as you see, it's very easy to upset some folks and that is never my intention. Perhaps I should use more smileys?

12v radio? Well, any good quality car radio will do the job.Personally, I really love Panasonic kit but other makes are good- LG for instance, or Alpine. Get one with Bluetooth preferably, and a USB port so that you can play any music you have on your phone through your speakers. However, if you are off grid, try to find out the power consumption of the radio you choose, - I understand they can be quite power hungry if you tend to have it on for hours at a time . But, there is a solution. Now, this won't be for everyone but it's a suggestion. I have just acquired a 'myfi' unit from EE. It gives me 64gig a month which is massive, it is on offer at the moment(or was) or there is there 12v plug in (12v socket) which is PAYG (pay as you go) and that can and often does work out cheaper than the mifi unit. The reason I mention this is that you can stream, by Bluetooth, any radio station through your phone (with the right app) to a Bluetooth speaker. You will need to charge your phone and the Bluetooth speaker but it uses milliamps through a USB . There is also Echo dot, from Amazon, which, again, works through the Internet. For £3.99 a month, you can get Amazon music (40,000,000 tracks) and again, stream any music through that to your speaker. It will give you the news, give useful information- it'll even tell you a joke!! Again USB using milliamps. I don't use my radio anymore- I just ask Alexa-( the word that wakes up the echo dot) to play this track or that track and she does or say tracks from Otis Redding or The Who or whoever and it shuffles the tracks and off she goes- really clever- It's all about being as well off offgrid as on! Let us know what you decide and thanks again.😀😀😀

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook