Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Cornersteady replied on 26/08/2017 22:52

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:52

It's not surprising that the vast majority of people coming into caravanning, as we did less than a year ago, and looking for information, simply don't realise the options, and therefore most join the vast majority only using EHU

I would disagree, even as far back as when I started there were solar panels on sale in the dealers. Plenty of advice on them in the caravaning press.

And of course the main companies are keen to sell the mass market ever more gizmos which bump the price tag up ever more, so they're not going to shout about energy saving and alternative sources too much.

Most of the caravans in the Swift group come with a roof mounted solar panel fitted.

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2017 23:00

Posted on 26/08/2017 23:00

"Most of the caravans in the Swift group come with a roof mounted solar panel fitted."

As do many new MHs. Ours is 2011 and has the wiring for a SP but not the panel itself. That demonstrates the move was there 6 years ago.

KjellNN replied on 27/08/2017 00:29

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:16 by Tinwheeler

I'm not sure it is EU law but it's certainly in UK regulations. 

Posted on 27/08/2017 00:29

My understanding too, TW.  I believe we have Tony Blair to thank for it.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/08/2017 07:17

Posted on 27/08/2017 07:17

Alexandre Edmond Becquerel
Solar panel history. In 1839 Alexandre Edmond Becquerel discovered the photovoltaic effect which explains how electricity can be generated from sunlight. He claimed that “shining light on an electrode submerged in a conductive solution would create an electric current.”

Geez, now that's a shocker, I expected the 20th century, not the 19thsurprised

Oneputt replied on 27/08/2017 10:22

Posted on 27/08/2017 10:22

I just love SP's, by November I will have paid the capital cost of the of the house panels then 17 years of tax free profitlaughinglaughing Best investment ever.  

Back on topic, I just like the flexibility of having a panel on the van, if we see a site we like without EHU, great, but that doesn't mean we always use non EHU sites.  Its all about location for us.

Merve replied on 27/08/2017 11:22

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:22

How do you suggest the club helps in this? I can only think of giving people the option of not having EHU

I have made two requests Tinny of the CMHC, to come and do a full exposé of my van, how I live off EHU, the kit available and as many photos as they want. Both times I was promised that someone would get back to me- first time by the Editor and second time by someone on his team. I am still waiting. I agree that SPs are in the showrooms, on new vans and at the shows and the kit for non EHU is available but I think the 'how to' puts many off- they see it as a nice way to keep the battery charged during the winter and that's about all. The Club could have covered themselves in glory a little had they done a 'Full Spread' on the possibilities of Non EHU but it hasn't happened. At least people could be fully informed then to make a decision.  Yes, they have had articles in the past with the salubrious title of 'Back to basics' - a title not designed to pull the modern caravaner into it!! I do worry that there are far too many commercial pressures on the club and sponsors  that might not like it.  All I ask is that people be fully informed- after that- it's up to the individual. Opinions are like bums- everybody has one. 

Merve replied on 27/08/2017 11:26

Posted on 27/08/2017 07:17 by Rocky 2 buckets

Alexandre Edmond Becquerel
Solar panel history. In 1839 Alexandre Edmond Becquerel discovered the photovoltaic effect which explains how electricity can be generated from sunlight. He claimed that “shining light on an electrode submerged in a conductive solution would create an electric current.”

Geez, now that's a shocker, I expected the 20th century, not the 19thsurprised

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:26

Like I've said Rocks, these things we have now didn't come easily- they were hard fought for- I know I and others enjoy the fruit of these people's labours- why else would they have done it? Thanks for the info- most informative. 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/08/2017 11:50

Posted on 27/08/2017 11:50

That's interesting, Merve. Perhaps the club see promoting non-EHU vanning as encouraging people to use CLs, or wild camp, rather than the club sites into which the club has heavily invested in the infrastructure by providing EHU. 

As for sponsors, it could work two ways. Think of the revenue that could be generated (sorry, pun) by retailers avertising their off grid equipment. 

I suspect C&CC might be more willing. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook