Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Takethedogalong replied on 26/08/2017 14:11

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:11

We've been set up to run off ehu all our touring lives, well into three decades now, and all for price of a decent battery and the odd gas bottle. The real difference is that we have no need of umpteen energy guzzling devices that others love, meaning that it's either hook up, or do the conversion bit at £x. Which ever way you do it, it ain't  basic camping anymore, just a different choice. New technology is great, in it's many forms, but still a choice to have or have not!

KjellNN replied on 26/08/2017 14:13

Posted on 24/08/2017 16:52 by Casandra

To Tw,

I stand corrected with your explanation re EHU onward sale but in essence it means the same, it is covered by EU law. You are correct we are charged to hire the bollard (pitch fee) and years ago it was always pitch fee (a very low price) PLUS EHU (always a higher price) and were as we are now charged a higher price in summer and lower price in winter.

We as humble members don't know what proportion of the pitch fee covers the cost of electricity but you can bet your bottom dollar it's the biggest portion and pitch fees can be in excess of £13 the cost of electric is in there so where and they always more than the cost of an adult per night!

Yes "off grid" means off the national grid for electricity.

As rightly pointed out our club caters for the majority of its members, certainly not all of them, as I said there are I think now only 10 of our club sites left offering basic pitches with them only having one or two pitches on each site. The C&CC the other club that I am a member of, do offer, on most of its club sites grass pitches without EHU.

Thank you for your views they were interesting and give food for thought. Enjoy you motorhome trips, keep safe.

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:13

.Could I ask where I can read this EU law, so I can show it to site owners in Germany who charge up to 75 euro cents per kwh when metering use?

replied on 26/08/2017 14:39

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:11 by Takethedogalong

We've been set up to run off ehu all our touring lives, well into three decades now, and all for price of a decent battery and the odd gas bottle. The real difference is that we have no need of umpteen energy guzzling devices that others love, meaning that it's either hook up, or do the conversion bit at £x. Which ever way you do it, it ain't  basic camping anymore, just a different choice. New technology is great, in it's many forms, but still a choice to have or have not!

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:39

Not sure what the umpteen energy guzzling essentials are. Because we use EHU we use an electric kettle. Because we are on EHU I use the fourth ring of cooker. We also run heating and fridge on electric and charge Tablets. If we did not have EHU we would use gas. If we regularly did not use EHU I would have safefill or similar. Oh yes we have a microwave that often is used twice in 120 nights

Merve replied on 26/08/2017 18:28

Posted on 26/08/2017 18:28

We probably use more electrical items than you do Easy!! And all on batteries 😂😂😂😂 It certainly isn't basic camping anymore as TTDA says. SPs etc have raised the game and really, with a little bit rejigging, both EHU and non EHU are on a par. But not cost wise. 

Takethedogalong replied on 26/08/2017 21:43

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:39 by

Not sure what the umpteen energy guzzling essentials are. Because we use EHU we use an electric kettle. Because we are on EHU I use the fourth ring of cooker. We also run heating and fridge on electric and charge Tablets. If we did not have EHU we would use gas. If we regularly did not use EHU I would have safefill or similar. Oh yes we have a microwave that often is used twice in 120 nights

Posted on 26/08/2017 21:43

That's not bad EasyT, only electric kettle, electric cooker, microwave, heating and fridge, and charging your devices!laughing But most others will have a TV, (or two!) a hairdryer, a toaster, perhaps a coffee maker to plug in. They will need either ehu or some of Merve's alternatives!

If we hook up, we use more devices on electric. Be daft not too really!

moulesy replied on 26/08/2017 21:48

Posted on 26/08/2017 14:13 by KjellNN

.Could I ask where I can read this EU law, so I can show it to site owners in Germany who charge up to 75 euro cents per kwh when metering use?

Posted on 26/08/2017 21:48

Don't be silly Kj - they're German, they won't take any notice of EU laws (a bit like the French, Spanish, Italians, Greeks .......)wink  

replied on 26/08/2017 22:10

Posted on 26/08/2017 21:43 by Takethedogalong

That's not bad EasyT, only electric kettle, electric cooker, microwave, heating and fridge, and charging your devices!laughing But most others will have a TV, (or two!) a hairdryer, a toaster, perhaps a coffee maker to plug in. They will need either ehu or some of Merve's alternatives!

If we hook up, we use more devices on electric. Be daft not too really!

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:10

The 230 Volt is not an essential to caravanning but the sites that we use are mainly CC and some commercial and always have EHU.

I fitted electric to the caravan that I had when CC started including EHU in the site fees. Strangely the fridge that was fitted was also able to run on mains and so fitted mains lighting, used a kettle and had a fan heater. No TV though. 

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2017 22:16

Posted on 26/08/2017 21:48 by moulesy

Don't be silly Kj - they're German, they won't take any notice of EU laws (a bit like the French, Spanish, Italians, Greeks .......)wink  

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:16

I'm not sure it is EU law but it's certainly in UK regulations. 

Hedgehurst replied on 26/08/2017 22:24

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:24

If only all the passion here on both sides could be converted to boil a few kettles wink

I'm not joining the "to evangelise or not" debate, but do think it's woeful that the CMC clings to failing to present enough information about ways of going solar, in these days when fossil fuel use is increasingly seen as something we would do well to reduce.

It's not surprising that the vast majority of people coming into caravanning, as we did less than a year ago, and looking for information, simply don't realise the options, and therefore most join the vast majority only using EHU and continuing to keep the power stations running. And of course the main companies are keen to sell the mass market ever more gizmos which bump the price tag up ever more, so they're not going to shout about energy saving and alternative sources too much.

So my plea is that having updated its name, logo, signage and all, to prove how it's moving with the times, the CMC catches up with the growing green tide and embraces the new technology. ...To mix a metaphor.

Happy Bank Holiday! 
(From a frustrated would-be caravanner currently newly getting over an operation which means I'm not allowed to drive or do anything much for a few weeks  frown.)

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2017 22:43

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:24 by Hedgehurst

If only all the passion here on both sides could be converted to boil a few kettles wink

I'm not joining the "to evangelise or not" debate, but do think it's woeful that the CMC clings to failing to present enough information about ways of going solar, in these days when fossil fuel use is increasingly seen as something we would do well to reduce.

It's not surprising that the vast majority of people coming into caravanning, as we did less than a year ago, and looking for information, simply don't realise the options, and therefore most join the vast majority only using EHU and continuing to keep the power stations running. And of course the main companies are keen to sell the mass market ever more gizmos which bump the price tag up ever more, so they're not going to shout about energy saving and alternative sources too much.

So my plea is that having updated its name, logo, signage and all, to prove how it's moving with the times, the CMC catches up with the growing green tide and embraces the new technology. ...To mix a metaphor.

Happy Bank Holiday! 
(From a frustrated would-be caravanner currently newly getting over an operation which means I'm not allowed to drive or do anything much for a few weeks  frown.)

Posted on 26/08/2017 22:43

Sorry to hear you're grounded at the moment, HH.

I'm not so sure that newbies to the hobby aren't aware of the off grid devices such as SPs. They are featured in magazines, on forums and can be found in caravan accessory shops. The 'how to' detail may not be readily available but the basic equipment is pretty much jumping off the shelves at us.

How do you suggest the club helps in this? I can only think of giving people the option of not having EHU.

NB. I am open minded and not advocating on or off grid use but am exploring the points you raised.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook