Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2017 21:22

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:22

"some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it."

Good point, BB. I'm all in favour of people making decisions without undue bias being heaped upon them. 👍🏻

Cornersteady replied on 25/08/2017 22:09

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:22 by Tinwheeler

"some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it."

Good point, BB. I'm all in favour of people making decisions without undue bias being heaped upon them. 👍🏻

Posted on 25/08/2017 22:09

Put me down for that too

Boff replied on 25/08/2017 22:50

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:10 by young thomas

as my old boss used to say...."theres more than one way to skin a carrot....."....

Hitch, i agree there are a multitude of different ways in which we can all enjoy this great hobby of ours, but rest assured, there will be many, many MHers on aires, stellplatze and sostas all over europe this week where enjoying their hobby wont involve an EHU point.

solar panels, decent batteries and a cheap source of gas will be the order of the day, and these folk will be enjoying ALDE heating (or hot water), satellite TV, and cordon bleu cooking exactly the same as anyone connected to EHU on a campsite.

i will be doing a fair bit of it myself from Monday, but also some stays on sites where i will be using a hookup....as its included.

so no right or wrong way, for me its both wayswink

IMHO, Merve is just a nice guy who has discovered a different way of enhancing his camping options and, despite me already having plenty of experience of what he describes, i have no problem in him spreading his joy....

however, if this doesnt appeal to someone reading this, or other similar threads, then dont bother to comment as this wont be of much interest.

whether folk like it or not, camping with EHU is currently the default ('standard') choice for most CC members and, as Merve has found the technology to help him find more locations for less outlay, he just wants to share this and, perhaps give others the same knowledge to help broaden their horizons if that's what they want to do.

some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it.

Posted on 25/08/2017 22:50

Couldn't agree more.  Of course you are arguing from a position of knowledge and experience rather than ignorance.  Like you if there is ehu I will use it, if a service pitch is offered then I can cope with that as well.  But what I don't do is put a high value on either.  It's a personal choice. I could spend £40 a night on a full service pitch, but prefer to pay £10 and spend the money saved on doing something I want to do.

Thank you for reading and goodnight, from me in a field somewhere on Anglesey.

replied on 25/08/2017 23:28

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:10 by young thomas

as my old boss used to say...."theres more than one way to skin a carrot....."....

Hitch, i agree there are a multitude of different ways in which we can all enjoy this great hobby of ours, but rest assured, there will be many, many MHers on aires, stellplatze and sostas all over europe this week where enjoying their hobby wont involve an EHU point.

solar panels, decent batteries and a cheap source of gas will be the order of the day, and these folk will be enjoying ALDE heating (or hot water), satellite TV, and cordon bleu cooking exactly the same as anyone connected to EHU on a campsite.

i will be doing a fair bit of it myself from Monday, but also some stays on sites where i will be using a hookup....as its included.

so no right or wrong way, for me its both wayswink

IMHO, Merve is just a nice guy who has discovered a different way of enhancing his camping options and, despite me already having plenty of experience of what he describes, i have no problem in him spreading his joy....

however, if this doesnt appeal to someone reading this, or other similar threads, then dont bother to comment as this wont be of much interest.

whether folk like it or not, camping with EHU is currently the default ('standard') choice for most CC members and, as Merve has found the technology to help him find more locations for less outlay, he just wants to share this and, perhaps give others the same knowledge to help broaden their horizons if that's what they want to do.

some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it.

Posted on 25/08/2017 23:28

some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it.

That seems an awfully tall horse BB. Careful when you get down.

I doubt that many on the forum are unaware of the possibilities of going off EHU. Those that choose not to embrace Solar Panels etc and that lifestyle do so because they know that on the types of site that they wish to use that offers no benefit. 

I am with you in as much as I suspect that, like me, you believe that all should do as they wish with regard to site choice. If your post is prompted by digs at Merve on the Morrison thread I would say that Merve is probably able to grin wryly knowing that he turned the thread to his own needs and others have had a bit of a dig. 

Many are aware of the savings available by using solar and self refillable gas. In some circumstances it is not solely about saving money but about the sites and locations that they desire to use. No doubt there are a few who make the choice to save money. Others who caravan in the UK choose to simply use main line sites where EHU is included. I have no desire to use CLs or to rally and simply choose a site for location. It does not bother me to be on a site with 80 plus folk nor to be on a site on my own therefore I would only choose to go non EHU for financial savings which I truly believe to be available.

Having mounted an equally tall steed BB I shall be careful on the dismount. wink  

Boff replied on 26/08/2017 07:43

Posted on 25/08/2017 23:28 by

some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it.

I doubt that many on the forum are unaware of the possibilities of going off EHU. Those that choose not to embrace Solar Panels etc and that lifestyle do so because they know that on the types of site that they wish to use that offers no benefit. 

I am with you in as much as I suspect that, like me, you believe that all should do as they wish with regard to site choice. If your post is prompted by digs at Merve on the Morrison thread I would say that Merve is probably able to grin wryly knowing that he turned the thread to his own needs and others have had a bit of a dig. 

Many are aware of the savings available by using solar and self refillable gas. In some circumstances it is not solely about saving money but about the sites and locations that they desire to use. No doubt there are a few who make the choice to save money. Others who caravan in the UK choose to simply use main line sites where EHU is included. I have no desire to use CLs or to rally and simply choose a site for location. It does not bother me to be on a site with 80 plus folk nor to be on a site on my own therefore I would only choose to go non EHU for financial savings which I truly believe to be available.

Having mounted an equally tall steed BB I shall be careful on the dismount. wink  

Posted on 26/08/2017 07:43

Without, relevant, recent experience. Awareness is completely different to knowledge  

I am for example aware of aeroplanes doesn't mean I can actually fly one.  

young thomas replied on 26/08/2017 07:49

Posted on 25/08/2017 23:28 by

Posted on 26/08/2017 07:49

a couple of High Plains Drifters, Alan?wink

replied on 26/08/2017 07:55

Posted on 26/08/2017 07:55

Nor me. However should I want Solar etc I am aware that it can be fitted and should I wish to DIY I am aware that the info is available.

We successfully use many things for which we have limited knowledge of the workings but a basic awareness of how it does what it does. A satnav for instance. I know what it cab do I simply have to buy and use. 

Anyway we are far off topic which I think is a CL in the Lakes without EHU. 

replied on 26/08/2017 07:57

Posted on 26/08/2017 07:49 by young thomas

a couple of High Plains Drifters, Alan?wink

Posted on 26/08/2017 07:57

I was thinking more like Four Feather Falls smile

young thomas replied on 26/08/2017 08:15

Posted on 26/08/2017 08:15

ah, yes, i can see you as Tex Tucker (that takes me back) with your swivelling six-gunswink

me, a Man With No Name, painting the town red wink

hitchglitch replied on 26/08/2017 08:15

Posted on 26/08/2017 08:15

Despite all the arguments for and against, it is obviously environmentally better to have refillable cylinders, solar panels etc. I admit also that it is satisfying to turn up at a site knowing that there is no need to get the hook-up lead out as I have everything I need. If you can save a few pounds on site fees as well then it's an extra benefit.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook