Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2017 19:33

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:15 by hitchglitch

Seems to me that there are two ways of enjoying our hobby. When we bought our Motorhome last year we were encouraged to consider wild camping because it has refillable gas tank, large water and waste capacity and a solar panel. In fact, we seldom need EHU but because it is included in many sites in the U.K. and, for example, with all ACSI sites throughout Europe we connect up out of habit.

The fact is that as our vans have become more comfortable and even luxurious there is a greater need for electricity. If you have an air con unit for example they are quite power hungry. If you can't manage without a microwave you need EHU. TV, satellite etc. are can be big power consumers. Yes, you can overcome this but with quite a large investment in extra batteries, inverter etc. which is not warranted for the very high percentage of occasional campers.

Sorry to disappoint the evangelical off-gridders but you have a minority hobby which is going to become an even smaller minority as vans become even more elaborate. Mains supply will be considered essential for most people who caravan or have a Motorhome (and even many campers) and more sites, including CLs, will be adding EHU.

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:33

I completely agree with you, Hitchglitch. I have no desire to try to convert others to our way of thinking or to extoll the virtues of EHU to the masses. We're all adults and capable of making our own choices. As l've said before, live and let live. smile

replied on 25/08/2017 20:09

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:33 by Tinwheeler

I completely agree with you, Hitchglitch. I have no desire to try to convert others to our way of thinking or to extoll the virtues of EHU to the masses. We're all adults and capable of making our own choices. As l've said before, live and let live. smile

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:09

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 25/08/2017 20:15

Seems to me that there are two ways of enjoying our hobby. When we bought our Motorhome last year we were encouraged to consider wild camping because it has refillable gas tank, large water and waste capacity and a solar panel. In fact, we seldom need EHU but because it is included in many sites in the U.K. and, for example, with all ACSI sites throughout Europe we connect up out of habit.

The fact is that as our vans have become more comfortable and even luxurious there is a greater need for electricity. If you have an air con unit for example they are quite power hungry. If you can't manage without a microwave you need EHU. TV, satellite etc. are can be big power consumers. Yes, you can overcome this but with quite a large investment in extra batteries, inverter etc. which is not warranted for the very high percentage of occasional campers.

Sorry to disappoint the evangelical off-gridders but you have a minority hobby which is going to become an even smaller minority as vans become even more elaborate. Mains supply will be considered essential for most people who caravan or have a Motorhome (and even many campers) and more sites, including CLs, will be adding EHU.

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:15

yes completely agree +1

Cornersteady replied on 25/08/2017 20:15

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:33 by Tinwheeler

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:15

and again +1

Cornersteady replied on 25/08/2017 20:32

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:09 by

So why dont you let Merve "live" instead of stalking him with antagonist posts?

This afternoons performance in the Morrisons thread by quite a group who were clearly trying to provoke him with posts ridiculing "someone with an interest in safe-fill" brought credit to nobody and those involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:32

Not really AD, actually not at all. I acknowledge that he believes in and has great enthusiasm for his way of camping. I have great enthusiasm  for the way I use my caravan, but I would not try to be so 'forceful' in trying to get others to follow my way. Perhaps the posters concerned, were a little bit tired of the preaching and converting manner. Phrases like:

seeped into the consciousness of the 'standard caravanning public'

The EHU rules

Most suffer with the herding instinct where they have to be with dozens of others 

Quite an insult there btw, I don't suffer any herding instinct I just like using club sites and EHU, but that is classed as standard, that there is a higher or superior way if only I could see it.

These comments seem to suggest that we who like EHU are being brainwashed or tricked into using EHU. We have not opened our eyes or minds to modern technology we see today has revolutionised our hobby, suggesting that we are ignorant and need help. That we can't make our minds up by ourselves.

Even when we state that is our preference we have phrases - great! - as long as they enjoy it, what the hell?  I stand to be corrected but that sort of saying, 'what the hell' could be taken as used to express anger, contempt, or disbelief.

Anyway Merve is a big boy I am sure he can answer by himself. But to answer your point perhaps Merve could let us live and let live with out such comments?

replied on 25/08/2017 20:38

So why dont you let Merve "live" instead of stalking him with antagonistic posts?

This afternoons performance in the Morrisons thread by quite a group who were clearly trying to provoke him with posts ridiculing "someone with an interest in safe-fill" brought credit to nobody and those involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:38

The point is David that Merve, who I actually respect, usurped the Morrison thread to promote his own ideals. In so doing he opened himself to a little come back. Nothing malicious I hope. Ceratainly not intended as such on my part

Cornersteady replied on 25/08/2017 20:45

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:38 by

The point is David that Merve, who I actually respect, usurped the Morrison thread to promote his own ideals. In so doing he opened himself to a little come back. Nothing malicious I hope. Ceratainly not intended as such on my part

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:45

nor mine.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2017 20:52

So why dont you let Merve "live" instead of stalking him with antagonistic posts?

Posted on 25/08/2017 20:52

The others have said it all, David. 

I stalk nobody but respond to posts that inspire or rile me.

young thomas replied on 25/08/2017 21:10

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:10

as my old boss used to say...."theres more than one way to skin a carrot....."....

Hitch, i agree there are a multitude of different ways in which we can all enjoy this great hobby of ours, but rest assured, there will be many, many MHers on aires, stellplatze and sostas all over europe this week where enjoying their hobby wont involve an EHU point.

solar panels, decent batteries and a cheap source of gas will be the order of the day, and these folk will be enjoying ALDE heating (or hot water), satellite TV, and cordon bleu cooking exactly the same as anyone connected to EHU on a campsite.

i will be doing a fair bit of it myself from Monday, but also some stays on sites where i will be using a hookup....as its included.

so no right or wrong way, for me its both wayswink

IMHO, Merve is just a nice guy who has discovered a different way of enhancing his camping options and, despite me already having plenty of experience of what he describes, i have no problem in him spreading his joy....

however, if this doesnt appeal to someone reading this, or other similar threads, then dont bother to comment as this wont be of much interest.

whether folk like it or not, camping with EHU is currently the default ('standard') choice for most CC members and, as Merve has found the technology to help him find more locations for less outlay, he just wants to share this and, perhaps give others the same knowledge to help broaden their horizons if that's what they want to do.

some wont and some will.....however, lets hope they get to debate/question these options sensibly without any undue bias, especially from those who have no experience of the technology being discussed nor any desire to make use of it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook