Non EHU site 289

Merve replied on 22/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 22/08/2017 17:09

May I just mention this site being as many offgridders come to these threads. If you are looking for an offgrid within the Lakes you may have rung and not had an answer. That's because the CL has been sold together with the rest of the farm and the phone number in the book has been discontinued. If you are interested in booking the site the number to ring is 07766 385286 and speak to Mark, the previous owner. He is really keen that this site remains open and continues to welcome guests. It has hard standing and although it is a little inundated with weeds, you can still make out easily where it is.   It is peaceful with the odd passing car. Views of Little Mell fell which is easily reached - we conquered it- hope no one has removed our flag! Penrith is not far and Ullswater Road Garage there fills Safefill. What more could you want?   

Vicmallows replied on 22/08/2017 21:20

Posted on 22/08/2017 21:20

I'm puzzled. So you contact Mark, who no longer owns the site. What happens then? .... does he just tell you where the overgrown site is and suggest that you just use it anyway ???

Merve replied on 23/08/2017 21:05

Posted on 23/08/2017 15:29 by Pippah45

Are you going to copy and paste this into the CL thread?  

Posted on 23/08/2017 21:05

I've already mentioned it Pippah. It's just unfortunate for the new owner that the contact number was cancelled- she had no say over it so we do the best we can until the new book comes out but that will be sometime.  

Casandra replied on 24/08/2017 12:26

Posted on 24/08/2017 12:26

We have been caravanning now for 45 years and how things have changed both in the technology and the way we camp. At one time it was difficult to find a site with electric hook ups one used to carry an extra battery to power lights and pumps etc. Now we have solar panels, LED lighting, low wattage tv and large leisure batteries giving us plenty of scope to camp off grid.

BUT, to now find pitches on club sites and 5 van sites that do not have EHU is difficult and the price of electric has to be included in the fee (EU law and regulations) so you pay for it whether you use it or not makes a mockery of modern technology. The club magazines run articles/question and answers on the use of solar panels but they don't encourage the use on their sites. I think there are about 10 pitches left on club sites that do not provide EHU.

Our 2 national caravan clubs should be encouraging off grid camping not charging high prices for the use of electricity as they do. Another question, why are we changed more for electric in the summer months when usage is low compared to the winter months when usage is high?

Some may call it progress!

Tinwheeler replied on 24/08/2017 13:04

Posted on 24/08/2017 13:04

Casandra, just to clarify a few things. It is not law that electricity has to be charged in with the site fee. It is law that metered electricity cannot be resold for more than it cost the secondary supplier (site owner) and it is also law that a fee cannot be levied in respect of unmetered electricity. However, it is perfectly legal to charge a fee for use of the bollard which is what C&CC and numerous other organisations do.

Why should the two main clubs be encouraging off grid camping? That is surely your personal opinion whereas the clubs are giving the majority of their customers what they want.

Your last point regarding being charged more for electricity in summer than winter puzzles me. We have already covered the issue of charging for electricity and you yourself said it cannot be charged separately. CAMC makes no charge for electricity so you cannot differentiate between summer and winter costs. C&CC levy a fixed charge for use of the bollard and this does not vary throughout the year.

Cornersteady replied on 24/08/2017 15:47

Posted on 24/08/2017 15:47

I agree with TW, I can't see how the two clubs are charging high prices for their electricity. Also in the CCC you have the option (due to catering for tents as well as caravans/MH) of not having EHU.

Is off grid camping the same as wild camping? Serious question

Tinwheeler replied on 24/08/2017 15:54

Posted on 24/08/2017 15:47 by Cornersteady

I agree with TW, I can't see how the two clubs are charging high prices for their electricity. Also in the CCC you have the option (due to catering for tents as well as caravans/MH) of not having EHU.

Is off grid camping the same as wild camping? Serious question

Posted on 24/08/2017 15:54

I think 'off grid' means doing without EHU, Corners, whereas 'wild camping' means doing without sites. That is, pitching in the wild either legally or illegally. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook