Towing a car

johnthomo replied on 09/04/2019 09:50

Posted on 09/04/2019 09:50

I'm considering the option of towing a car with my Motorhome. My wife is a little dubious though and despite my best efforts, she's yet to be persuaded. She had a bad towing experience as a child when her Dad's caravan came off on the motorway, I've got a Rapido 665F and wondered how I could find out the maximum sized vehicle that I could potentially tow. We have a Mini Countryman as a second car and wondered if we could tow that. Many thanks.

Lutz replied on 09/04/2019 10:35

Posted on 09/04/2019 10:35

The statutory weight plate on the motorhome will specify a max. permissible gross train weight if it is approved to tow at all. It is the second figure down on the weight plate and obviously the highest value on that plate at all. Subtract the max. gross vehicle weight (the top figure) from the gross train weight and you will know what the motorhome can tow. With a bit of luck it's more than the weight of the Countryman plus trailer or A-frame.

johnthomo replied on 09/04/2019 15:17

Posted on 09/04/2019 15:17

Many thanks. The gross vehicle weight states 3.5T and the permissible gross combined weight is 5.5T. I'm assuming that if the car and the A frame weight is less that 2T, I'm fine. 

riversideroamer replied on 20/04/2019 08:34

Posted on 20/04/2019 08:34

I can reassure your wife that towing a car with a Motorhome is nothing like towing a caravan.  I was also a bit sceptical about towing after we had a nasty experience many years ago with our caravan but it has proved to be an excellent move. We use an A frame from Smart Tow and once hooked up the car just bobs along behind, we have a reversing camera so we can see what is happening behind at all times.  Once on site it means that we can explore an area without worrying about where to park, finding bus routes, narrow lanes etc. and offers a much wider choice of places to eat.  I would say go for it and enjoy your travels even more.

replied on 20/04/2019 09:02

Posted on 20/04/2019 09:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

huskydog replied on 20/04/2019 09:12

Posted on 20/04/2019 09:02 by

Is there any truth in the rumour that a police patrol, (a very rare beast in our neck of the woods, but I digress), recently tried to pull over a toad for tailgating?  

Posted on 20/04/2019 09:12

I bet when they found out the toad was on an A-frame they were hopping mad wink

pj35 replied on 28/04/2019 10:08

Posted on 28/04/2019 10:08

We are thinking of purchasing an A frame tor our motorhome any suggestions for different types to pull a Toyota Argo 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook