Leaking sink

kelvin c replied on 03/08/2021 15:11

Posted on 03/08/2021 15:11

I have a Thetford sink in my recently bought caravan bathroom. Cannot see any cracks in it and having siliconed the outlet, still have a leak when using. Does anyone know how to remove it or get to the outlet pipe underneath  as it may be split. thanks.

commeyras replied on 03/08/2021 15:44

Posted on 03/08/2021 15:44

What make of caravan do you have?  Is this the sink in the kitchen or basin in the bathroom?  Can you access the bottom of the sink by removing the top exterior vent of your fridge?  Advise not to remove the basin seal as it is very difficult to re fit!

ADP1963 replied on 03/08/2021 19:09

Posted on 03/08/2021 19:09

Have you checked the rubber seal hasn't split or perished ? if it is the kitchen sink. If it is the bathroom hand basin then there may be a split in the fibreglass by the waste outlet. I had this and repaired it with fibreglass.

EmilysDad replied on 03/08/2021 19:40

Posted on 03/08/2021 19:40

the whereabouts of the sink is in the OE's question .... it's the bathroom sink. 😉

We need more clues. Does the sink leak if there's water in it with the plug in? Does it just leak as it's draining?

commeyras replied on 03/08/2021 23:17

Posted on 03/08/2021 23:17

Woops, of course it is the basin in the bathroomcry.  I had to replace the basin a few years ago.  In my Bailey it is held in place by 2 plastic wing nuts under the basin accessed through the cupboard under the basin.  Fairly straight forward to remove the taps.  The outlet has a screw in the centre which fixes the waste pipe and of course the waste pipe  came off fairly easily.  The problem was refitting the b.......d seal!  As EmilysDad asked more details please.  Does it leak with plug in or when emptying?  Is the seal OK? Where is the leak appearing - from the basin or lower down?  My problem was a small crack in the plastic basin rim behind the tap which the previous owner had tried to fix with sealant and I did not see when I bought the caravan.  The inlet and outlet pipes were all damp so I just traced the damp/drip with my fingers which led to the area behind the taps. The replacement basin was not too expensive.

kelvin c replied on 04/08/2021 13:43

Posted on 04/08/2021 13:43

hi all thanks for response's , forgot to mention my caravan is a compass advantage 1995. in very good condition for age. The sink in question is in the bathroom, leeks when plug is in and filled with water, then seems to fill the under bowl and when lifting to use toilet drips down onto it and folds down above the toilet and is part of the whole plastic backing. Very difficult to see how it comes out. 

ADP what fibreglass did you use was it just resin and hardener. ?

Tinwheeler replied on 04/08/2021 13:56

Posted on 04/08/2021 13:56

Ah, it’s a flip up!

You will be able to remove the actual flip up basin part and this will reveal the funnel shaped drain underneath. That bit often gets bunged up with soap and grot and overflows, especially if you flip up the full bowl too quickly. I can’t tell you how to remove the bowl as models varied - a screw each end, a sliding rod or, in newer models, it just lifts off.

Check out YouTube as fixes can often be found there.

ADP1963 replied on 04/08/2021 19:39

Posted on 04/08/2021 19:39

I had some of an old kit left over from my Surfing days, but I did use a bit of the Fibreglass Matting. It must be 5 years ago since I did the repair. If you are going to use my method make sure you are working in good ventilation..............Good Luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook