Which Coachman

PhilThompson replied on 09/10/2021 11:18

Posted on 09/10/2021 11:18

Hi All

Quick introduction, we are Phil & Tracy and are coming back to caravanning after a 15 year break. This time it should be different being a couple rather than a family.

So, after looking at the price of nearly new 2 berth caravans and doing alot of research before even setting foot in a dealership, I had decided on a brand new 2022 Coachman VIP 460. So off I went to my local dealers and they had the VIP and Acadia 460 side by side, I decided that I just could not warrant the extra £4k on the VIP over the Acadia. So I have come away ordering a new Acadia 460

Yes the VIP is nicer in places and there are obvious differences where some of that money has gone on, but working in manufacturing myself it is quite obvious that Coachman have de-specced the Acadia on item's that would lierally cost a couple of quid to add during manufacture (the obvious one being an extra plug socket and sockets don't have USB). 

To be honest if I had never been in the VIP, I would have thought the Acadia was the top of the range. I am very happy with the decision I have made, but to all of you out there with much better knowledge, am I missing something ?

Look forward to receiving your comments. 

BTW already have 33 nights booked for next year.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/10/2021 11:41

Posted on 09/10/2021 11:41

Using the comparison tool you can see the VIP is slightly bigger - including the beds - but both models have pathetically low payload figures.

Studying the brochures will tell you of other differences but some may be unlisted such as quality of construction materials from the foam used to fill the bunks to the thickness of the walls.

I guess you're aware of the thread on here about Coachman quality going downhill but, at the present time, I think I'd buy a van that already exists rather that take my chances with the factory building one on an estimated time scale or you might end up cancelling those bookings.

Good luck.

Oneputt replied on 09/10/2021 12:11

Posted on 09/10/2021 12:11

We have a 2018 Coachman VIP 520 which we brought in 2019.  The previous owner's wife didn't like it so it was used 3 times.  The wrapping was still on the oven, bathroom and carpets, so virtually no use.  We got it at a real knockdown price so really happy.  The all up weight is 1550ks compared to the just over 1300ks of our previous disaster Lunar.  We are running at about 100% of the recommended 85%, so have decided to change our tow car.  Our current CRV has plenty of get up and go and is a delight to drive solo but it does become very twitchy with the van on the back.

Hope you enjoy your new van

PhilThompson replied on 09/10/2021 14:31

Posted on 09/10/2021 14:31

Interesting, I was not aware of the thread on quality, quite a bit of which seems to be on the VIP fridge (which is a different model on the Acadia) and the Dometic toilet, which has now been changed to a Thetford. With regards to studying the brochues, yes I have of course done this. the difference in length is 5" which would appear to be mainly in the bathroom, the width is a nominal 2". To be honest the smaller length suits me better, because if I want to store it on my drive, it fit's perfectly with enough space for the car, any longer I would have to park right up to the hitch. However the more I think about it, the more I think I will go down the storage route.

Then there is the MTPLM, at 1,360KG the Acadia is well within my car's 1,500KG limit, not too bothered about a large payload, will be having a 30KG mover fitted taking it down to 94KG, which I know isn't much, but apart from clothes, bedding, aquaroll and food I won't be putting anything else in there, it can all go in the car as there will only be the 2 of us. There is however the option to go for an upgraded weight plate of 1,400KG.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/10/2021 16:14

Posted on 09/10/2021 16:14

The payload really is tiny and you will soon reach the limit even if you have it uprated. You'll be putting food in the fridge and cupboards, need cutlery, crockery, cooking pans. Then there’s toiletries, cleaning materials etc etc. It soon adds up.

Does the unladen weight include the battery and gas bottle(s)? Something you might want to check.

We had a VIP 460 of 2010 vintage and it was a very different animal to today's offering. I seem to recall it had a MTPLM of around 1500kg with a payload of about 300kg. We towed it effortlessly with a Mitsi Shogun. 

PhilThompson replied on 09/10/2021 17:03

Posted on 09/10/2021 16:14 by Tinwheeler

The payload really is tiny and you will soon reach the limit even if you have it uprated. You'll be putting food in the fridge and cupboards, need cutlery, crockery, cooking pans. Then there’s toiletries, cleaning materials etc etc. It soon adds up.

Does the unladen weight include the battery and gas bottle(s)? Something you might want to check.

We had a VIP 460 of 2010 vintage and it was a very different animal to today's offering. I seem to recall it had a MTPLM of around 1500kg with a payload of about 300kg. We towed it effortlessly with a Mitsi Shogun. 

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:03

Yes the unladen weight includes:

** MiRO (Mass In Running Order) allows for the following in addition to the standard specification:- LPG Bottle (one bottle per connection to the regulator) 10kg, Mains Cable (low voltage) 4kg, Central Heating System full (not fresh hot water tank)

I do think I will ask for the weight plate to be upgraded though. The payload is pretty much standard for the class, I have just compared to the Sterling Eccles 480, which is 132 KG 

One thing that doesn't stack up though, on the thread about the quality of the present Coachman's, all the talk is about everyhing being not quite as substantial as it was, this not only saves on weight, but cost to manufacture. How then could the MIRO of your 2010 VIP 460 be just 1,200 KG, (1500-300) when the current VIP 460 has a MIRO of 1319KG

Tinwheeler replied on 09/10/2021 17:20

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:20

Yes, payloads in general are pretty abysmal these days and uprating would be an advantage.

Don't take my figures as spot on accurate as I’m relying on memory. However, Alde heating is weighty and wasn’t a feature in our van and I’m sure there are other features in the current model that weren't in ours. In addition, the definition of what constitutes unladen weight changes from time to time.

Vans have got bigger so obviously the wall panels, chassis etc have increased in size. The manufacturers fight to reduce weight in the bigger animal and that’s where the less solid feel comes from.

I hope you’re happy with your eventual choice.

JVB66 replied on 09/10/2021 17:36

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:03 by PhilThompson

Yes the unladen weight includes:

** MiRO (Mass In Running Order) allows for the following in addition to the standard specification:- LPG Bottle (one bottle per connection to the regulator) 10kg, Mains Cable (low voltage) 4kg, Central Heating System full (not fresh hot water tank)

I do think I will ask for the weight plate to be upgraded though. The payload is pretty much standard for the class, I have just compared to the Sterling Eccles 480, which is 132 KG 

One thing that doesn't stack up though, on the thread about the quality of the present Coachman's, all the talk is about everyhing being not quite as substantial as it was, this not only saves on weight, but cost to manufacture. How then could the MIRO of your 2010 VIP 460 be just 1,200 KG, (1500-300) when the current VIP 460 has a MIRO of 1319KG

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:36

With all manufacturers (even non  UK constructed )LVs being made to encompass all the latest gizmos  that most seem to want to tow with the smallest cars possible, will not have much payloads,  even Motor caravans that up to quite recently were trying to ram in all the gizmos and keep to 3500kg undecided

PhilThompson replied on 09/10/2021 17:52

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:20 by Tinwheeler

Yes, payloads in general are pretty abysmal these days and uprating would be an advantage.

Don't take my figures as spot on accurate as I’m relying on memory. However, Alde heating is weighty and wasn’t a feature in our van and I’m sure there are other features in the current model that weren't in ours. In addition, the definition of what constitutes unladen weight changes from time to time.

Vans have got bigger so obviously the wall panels, chassis etc have increased in size. The manufacturers fight to reduce weight in the bigger animal and that’s where the less solid feel comes from.

I hope you’re happy with your eventual choice.

Posted on 09/10/2021 17:52

I have already ordered it, my original post was the the about £4k difference between the Adadia & VIP, the thread then went in a different direction.

What I have learned though, is that I need to upgrade the weight plate. Also it really has to be the Acadia, as with an updated plate the VIP would be just 12kKG short of my cars 1,500KG limit.

When I look back, I used to have a 4 berth Eldiss, It was a Typhoon GTX, all the Chintz, wine rack etc, and yes from memory the interior did have a quality feel about it. However the Tow Car was a 110 BHP Puegeot 406 estate which was fully laden. Has to be easier this time around.....Hopefully.  

martyn stoke replied on 09/10/2021 20:53

Posted on 09/10/2021 20:53

Hi Phil 

Congratulations on your purchase on the 460 acadia, we have the 460 vip which we purchased a couple of years ago and we are more than pleased with the build quality.The caravan is a ideal size for 2 people and if like us you will have happy times touring.

All caravan manufacturers have issues from time to time so don't be put off by negative comments

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook