Is my car suitable for towing

Tonysavage replied on 07/06/2019 21:03

Posted on 07/06/2019 21:03

Hi all

new member and new to caravanning. Looking to change my motorhome for a caravan would can't find any info as to what caravan would suit my car spec.

I have a mercedes GLE 250 4 Matic diesel  2016. also am I best to buy from a dealer or private?

Any info appreciated

regards

Tony

Tinwheeler replied on 07/06/2019 21:21

Posted on 07/06/2019 21:21

Tony, you have a couple of replies in the other thread you started in the Caravan section. 

As to the Merc, what engine does it have and what are it’s weights, including it’s kerbweight, GTW and max tow weight? 

nelliethehooker replied on 07/06/2019 21:40

Posted on 07/06/2019 21:40

Tony, as a member you can us the car/caravan matching service using this link (hopefully). All you need do is fill in the relevant details of your car and it will come up with suitable matches. I've tried it using guessed details for your car and it came up with over 200 matches...so plenty to choose from. Don't know how old you want your van to be but I'd certainly look around dealers in the first instance.

Tonysavage replied on 07/06/2019 22:51

Posted on 07/06/2019 22:51

Hi

Thank you Tinwheeler, clearly shows I need to do some checking and thank you Nellie.

I did post another thread but can't seem to find it as to why I posted another.

weights, kerb weights gtw and tow weight omg..maybe I'm making job too hard all new thoughts to me shows my ignorance.

hopefully I can wade through and gain a better understanding, thanks so much.

replied on 08/06/2019 06:10

Posted on 07/06/2019 21:40 by nelliethehooker

Tony, as a member you can us the car/caravan matching service using this link (hopefully). All you need do is fill in the relevant details of your car and it will come up with suitable matches. I've tried it using guessed details for your car and it came up with over 200 matches...so plenty to choose from. Don't know how old you want your van to be but I'd certainly look around dealers in the first instance.

Posted on 08/06/2019 06:10

Link? There was no link Nellie. I have little faith in CC matching and prefer to use the towcar info.

https://towcar.info/GB/ 

Seems a very capable tow car.

Your previous post on the topic is here: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/caravans/buy-from-a-dealer-or-private/

Wildwood replied on 08/06/2019 11:21

Posted on 08/06/2019 11:21

As a member you can use the clubs matching service. If you put in the cars details you should get the answers you need. It is not infallible though so double check the answer though.

The registration document and a plate on the car should show you the cars weight and the gross train weight which is the maximum weight of car and caravan.

If you post the cars engine details it would help.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook