Bailey Unicorn unknown part

brian7483 replied on 13/08/2021 21:46

Posted on 13/08/2021 21:46

Can anyone tell me what this item is for. I eventually got round to reading my instruction book after six years of ownership because I have a slow puncture in one of the tyres and I couldn't get the wheel off. I phoned Bailey and they told me the caravan comes with locking wheel nuts for which the key was inside the blue bag with all of the instructions. Inside the bag I did indeed find the wheel nut key along with this green thing. By the way I have owned various caravans for over thirty years and have suffered two previous punctures but  simply called out the breakdown service (of which I am a member) who willingly changed the wheel, none of which had locking wheel nuts.

It seems I know nowt about photographs and iPhones either. The photos won't download because they have to be less than 500kb whatever that is. How do I know what kb they are and how do I make them that size or is that another discussion?

The green thing is a round plastic cap with the words 13P parking, Closed and Open with directional arrows.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/08/2021 21:51

Posted on 13/08/2021 21:51

It’s very difficult to make suggestions without seeing photos but 13P suggests 13 pin to my simple mind. 

Download a free resizing app such as Image Size from either Apple or Google app stores and you can then easily resize your pics.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/08/2021 22:35

Posted on 13/08/2021 22:35

Well done!

I'm not certain but I think it might be the re-alignment tool for resetting the 13 pins in your towing socket in the event of them going out of line. It 'parks' the pins in the right position.

Perhaps someone else can confirm.

allanandjean replied on 13/08/2021 23:08

Posted on 13/08/2021 23:08

As TW says, it is to align the inner and outer parts of a 13 pin plug so that it will fit into the socket and the turn clockwise to “lock”.

Mine lives in the door pocket so it’s readily available-this seems to stop the problem happening!

JVB66 replied on 14/08/2021 09:10

Posted on 14/08/2021 09:10

If as happens,  the 13pin plug goes out of line the green "tool" will realign the plug to enable insersion into the socket, very valuable  pieces of kitcool

KeefySher replied on 14/08/2021 10:57

Posted on 14/08/2021 10:57

They also come in blue. 

On our recent holiday a couple had to be taken home by the AA.  All the various 13pin plugs and adapters on the AA tow truck were out of alignment, so I assisted with the blue tool.

brian7483 replied on 15/08/2021 11:29

Posted on 15/08/2021 11:29

With your assistance I found out where to look in my caravan handbook. There on page 21 is a paragraph which states "Within your accessories pack you will find a green 13 pin plug protection screw on cap. This should be used every time you connect your caravan to your vehicle. This will help to protect the 13 connections from corrosion. If you find corrosion on your connections spray with water displacement spray".

So, it turns out that this is not an alignment tool but an anti corrosion cap for your caravan plug. I think the instruction manual is wrong in that it states you should use the cap every time you CONNECT your caravan to your vehicle. This would in fact be an impossible task. I think the manual should read "every time you DISCONNECT your caravan from your vehicle".

As can be seen from the photographs the green cap has three pips on the inside which correlate with the three grooves on the outside of the caravan plug. Simply place the cap over the plug and twist for a waterproof seal.

I do not have an alignment tool supplied with the caravan. I must purchase it separately from my dealer.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook