No Tour in London in 2017

IanH replied on 29/09/2015 10:54

Posted on 29/09/2015 10:54

I see that, after submitting the highest bid to secure the start of the Tour de France, London have now backed out at the last minute.

It seems that they have realised that, apart from putting in the highest bid, they also have all the associated costs of staging the event. Apparantly, 'Welcome to Yorkshire' (I assume the old Yorkshire Tourist Board) are still about £1million in the red after 2014.

What people don't realise is that ASO (the Tour owner and organiser) are a big business, in it for the money. 'Winning' the right to have a stage start or finish is simply down to paying enough money......hardly worthy of a knighthood for Mr Verity, I would say.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook