What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Wherenext replied on 13/07/2024 21:50

Posted on 13/07/2024 21:50

Never been to an Opera DK although Mrs.WN and MiL once took a ferry across Lake Constance from Lindau in Germany to the Austrian shore to watch an evening rendition with Pyrotechnics of the Magic Flute.

My music taste is eclectic. I was a heavy metal fan growing up but softened at the edges to allow other genres in, even some Irish Folk music. Embraced Punk Rock for a while then spent the 1980s in the wilderness, at least once Freddie Mercury passed away, not particularly enjoying anything.

In 1990, September I believe, I heard a piece of classical music that I was surprised to find that I liked. It wasn't your normal fare of Beethoven or Bach or Mozart but a piece by Shostakovich, a sort of Punk rock classical piecelaughing. I've gravitated to the classical music side now but still able to enjoy other genres. Still turn to Planet Rock on the radio every now and then. Still enjoy Gregorian Chant especially if heard in a church. Have CDS encompassing Hildegard of Bingen from the 1200s to a still living Arvo Pärt.

We used to travel to Liverpool and Manchester almost once a week in Autumn and Winter to concerts but when we retired we found ourselves away in the caravan more often than not. We're still more likely to be found listening to music rather than watching TV. In fact we've just returned from a week away in a cottage and none of the 3 TVs were switched on once. Bliss.

nelliethehooker replied on 13/07/2024 21:57

Posted on 13/07/2024 21:57

We had a spectacular sunset last night, and around the same time a grand firework display that lasted for about 20 minutes.  This morning we managed to get the caravan cover on just before a short shower and then had an interesting tow, especially from Hawes past Ribblehead Viaduct  where there was some sort of event taking place, from the number of vehicles parked there, down to Ingleton and onto Kendal, where we are on another THS.

Pleased to read that you got home safe and sound after your week away, WN, and that you have been able to sell most of the item you no longer require. It sounds like a fine night out last night, tda, glad that you enjoyed it. Pleased to read that the weather has improved for you Francis.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/07/2024 00:22

Posted on 14/07/2024 00:22

We’ve been to a few Ballets, got Sheffield City Hall and The Lyceum a few miles away, and the Leeds venues. Coppelia, Nutcracker, and a few such as Dracula reinterpreted by the wonderful Northern Ballet. I do want to see a good production of R+J if I can. Like Opera as well, but not keen on musicals, just not my thing. I saw a lot of the “biggies” in my teens, as we were taken to Crucible every month with school, so Godspell, JS Superstar, Joseph &TDC. Evita remains my favourite. Love Shakespeare. OH likes Gilbert and Sullivan, and we keep threatening to do Buxton Opera House, but G&S is a bit “ok then” for me. Only if enticed🤣

I have just found out that there’s a tour of Jeff Wayne’s wonderful War of the Worlds musical next year though, and Sheffield Arena is on the list🤩  My OH bought me the original album back when it first came out, as we both loved the music and idea. I’d like to see some of Mozart’s operas. My sister took Mum and Dad to see Luciano Pavarotti twice, no idea why I didn’t go, we might have been away. Some of tickets are an arm and a leg though…….£345 for a package to see WOTW😱 
I would love to see The Two Cellos in concert, they a fabulous.

Last album bought…………a couple of nights ago, I downloaded T.Rex Greatest Hits! I love to Boogie💃🕺🎼🤣

Francis replied on 14/07/2024 10:47

Posted on 14/07/2024 10:47

Lovely sunset Nellie

Lovely warm sunny day here yesterday so we had a relaxing morning then made our way to Wells in the afternoon. We had visited wells the last time we were here but it was late in the day so everything was closed. This time we were there earlier so was great to have a walk around what a nice place and the cathedral was beautiful some great architecture it always amazes me how they built these building all those years ago with the amount of work involved and none of the modern tools we have now. On way back we went in to a brilliant little village called Axbrodge we had never been before but what a surprise a lovely little place with a lovely village square with a few pubs etc. Was still nice when we got back so cooked Pizza on the Cadac then took a wander down to the pub at the site next door for a few drinks and to watch the entertainment.

Sunny here again this morning but a bit breezy not much planned for today.

Wherenext replied on 14/07/2024 15:41

Posted on 14/07/2024 15:41

Lovely sunset Nellie

Sounds like another fine day down in Somerset. Liked the county every time we've been.

Ttda - Buxton Opera House is wonderful. A good few years ago when we were staying at the club site in Buxton we went one evening to a production of The Merry Widow, a light operetta, put on by the Derby Arts and Theatre Association and very good they were too. We plonked ourselves down and found ourselves sitting next to the Mayoress and her OH from Derby. We had a very convivial chat and she was as proud as could be with the reception the amateur group got.

Must admit our caravanning experience has given us some wonderful memories.

Dry day here, to now, so gave The Van a wash down. 

DEBSC replied on 14/07/2024 16:03

Posted on 14/07/2024 16:03

Well I’m sorry to report but I don’t think that this summer’s weather is about to get any better. It’s St Swithins day tomorrow and they have now forecast heavy rain. So that’s 40 more days of rainy weather. Now over many years - I’m not about to admit how many- I have reason to note this date and it’s not just an old wives tale, it is usually right, and it’s actually true - something to do with the jet stream I believe. So it looks like being September now before the chance of proper decent weather.

DavidKlyne replied on 14/07/2024 17:13

Posted on 14/07/2024 17:13

I was born in Southampton, so not far from Winchester with it's association with St Swithin who was Bishop of Winchester way back. I seem to recall that it often rains on St Swithin's Day!!!! Do we need an excuse for it to rain in the UKsmile

David

DEBSC replied on 14/07/2024 19:12

Posted on 14/07/2024 19:12

Yes David but seriously, when it doesn’t rain on that day we have a great summer.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/07/2024 21:49

Posted on 14/07/2024 21:49

We have made a dash home today, as I have dental appointment early tomorrow morning, before heading back to the caravan . This has enabled OH to do  a couple of rounds of washing, but it has been neither warm nor windy so clothes etc are drying inside on the maiden, where they will stay until we return some time next weekend. It rained late last night and again just now, so those watching the match in the "fans zone"  in the grounds of our neighbouring amateur football club will be rather damp! By the sounds of it England have just scored!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook