What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Rufs replied on 05/06/2024 17:16

Posted on 05/06/2024 17:16

Glad some of you seem to be having more favourable weather, they say sun shines on the righteous, we must be very good in Stubbers.

Our D day celebrations started today with many services of remembrance in SouthSea with the King & Queen present, we also had a display by the Red Arrows, and of course lots of filming of the vetrans leaving Portsmouth for France onboard one of the Brittany ferries, dont particularly want to live to 99 years of age unless i am super fit, but some of those guys at 99 are just amazing.

Celebrations continuing this evening, a light show over Southsea made possible by using 100 drones, and then lots of celebrations Saturday and Sunday on what was the Daedalus airfield now know as Solent airport and business park, i think the Red Arrows are back again on Saturday.

Finalised our plans for a tour into Yorkshire starting 15th July thru 29th July, cant do much before then as Spanish daughter is home 28th June for a couple of weeks, so you lot up there best be good so the sun shines, many tks to Richardandross for providing lots of info re our choosen site, must admit it looks amazing, not been up north for perhaps 3 years or more so really looking forward to it.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/06/2024 21:41

Posted on 05/06/2024 21:41

Sounds like a grand few days on the South Coast, Rufs. Hope you manage to sort out your trip to N.Yorks.

A quite mixed day with the weather today with periods of sunshine interspersed with short sharp showers, and even some hail. We visited the House of Binns where we had a walk up to the Tower before taking in the house guided tour. Lots of information about the owners, including Tam Dalziel MP,  but not a lot of time given to view the house contents unfortunately. 

KjellNN replied on 05/06/2024 21:49

Posted on 05/06/2024 21:49

Still keeping busy on DD’s flat, she keeps adding extra tasks!    

She has had me remove the rather ugly and bulky stair bannisters and box in the small gap that left on that side between the stairs and the wall, it is a U-shaped staircase.    Quite fiddly so took some time, but looks much better and will make it easier to get furniture in/out.    Once all the other work is finished I will fit a nice handrail all the way along the  opposite side.

I have been there most days and today was joined  by the painter.  Due to poor parking availability, he will be leaving his van at DD’s house and one of us will drive him along and retrieve him later.  He has made a good start, the job will take 4-5 days, but I still have some details to finish so will go tomorrow morning too, OH will drop us off.

Today the flooring for the whole upstairs (35 sq m) was delivered.  DD is  keeping it at her house meantime as I doubt any of it will be put down before our Norway trip.   It all has to be checked for any damage then stored somewhere out of harm’s way till needed.

The final repairs will be to the non-functioning toilet flush in the cloakroom and the plinth in the kitchen, then move in the new fridge freezer and dishwasher.    I think I can be 100% certain it will be August before she can market it!

This evening we have been looking on line at luggage for our upcoming trip, all our cases are about 45/55 years old and have no wheels, so we need to get something better, something we can manage to handle……..2 large cases, 2 small cabin cases,  and 2 under seat bags in the allowed sizes.  I think we have found some suitable ones.

Tomorrow we have a bit of “time off” as Callum has invited us to the grandparents tea party at his school, 1.30 - 2.30, sandwiches, cakes, and tea/coffee are apparently on the menu.  All sounds good!

Rufs replied on 06/06/2024 07:52

Posted on 06/06/2024 07:52

Found the BBC coverage of the D Day celebrations yesterday quite amazing, we did not go to Southsea to watch any of the celebrations, too many crowds and OH not good in crowds and my old knees do not like standing around for long periods, but thought the light show was just the best, who ever puts these things together must have a very vivid imagination and be very clever technically, also the service etc at the Bayeux War Cemetery, so emotional.

glorious day again, boiler man coming to service the boiler today so need to empty out all the bedding etc from the cupboard so he has good access, did all the gardening yesterday so hopefully an afternoon off, so out on my biike then chill in the garden laughing

milliehull replied on 06/06/2024 08:30

Posted on 06/06/2024 08:30

Years ago when we had our motorhome we always started our 6 weeks in France at Bayeux to co-incide with the D-Day commemorations. There were a lot more of the veterans about then and it was so lovely chatting to them. On a few occasions we were on the same ferry as them. The French absolutely loved them and couldn't thank them enough.

Wherenext replied on 06/06/2024 19:03

Posted on 06/06/2024 19:03

Had a smashing couple of days. 

Yesterday after making sure MiL had received her and understood the parameters of what she could and couldn't do, all with discussion and agreement from her, we set off to Conway. Stopped at the RSPB reserve for a hot drink before walking into Conway. Sunny day with a biting NW wind. Visited the wonderful castle, not too many people about, had lunch then drove to Llandudno and had a couple of hours stroll along the Coastal path. Found our refuge for the night. Very nice, all very modern so no Aunt Bessie's wardrobe from 1925 or creaking bed.

This morning we decided on a walk from Llandudno to Conway itself, about 4 miles, along the coast path. Stunning views of the hills above Conway and as far as Puffin Island just off Anglesey. Then of the castle and harbour at Conway, a glorious sight or a terrifying one if you were heading into the bay with murderous thoughts 750  years ago. The wind had lost its intensity, still cool but lovely in the sunshine. Had a tea with a chat to some locals then caught the bus back and eventually got home mid afternoon.

MiL, true to her word, behaved herself but did say she found it more tiring than she thought it would be. Pulled her leg by asking for a rise as she realises how much we do. Still waiting for a reply. Friends dropped in to make sure she was fine. 

We'll do it again soon as she wants to fend for herself as much as possible. She has more friends calling tomorrow afternoon so we may escape for a few hours again.

Wherenext replied on 06/06/2024 19:14

Posted on 06/06/2024 19:14

I always think of my uncle when these anniversaries come around. It feels like him and his "mates" are largely ignored. He landed not in Normandy but in Scilily and fought his way to the north of Italy, losing many of his colleagues and friends along the way.

Like many of his generation he never volunteered information about it but i fondly remember a few conversations I had with him near the end of his life. We both had a common interest as he was on Dialysis and quite willingly answered my questions when I visited him whilst having treatment on all sorts of matters. My aunt, who knew him before they married, said he never used to talk with a stutter until he came home and would never open up about what happened. Just like so many of those brave young people.

RedKite replied on 06/06/2024 20:16

Posted on 06/06/2024 20:16

Glad you enjoyed your short break and thanks for liking my photos will put a few more on this weekend when back home as we have had a short break at Obterre and had a visit to the Brenne but only for a meal at a local Auberge we like overlooking a lake so plenty to see and start our way back tomorrow, been 25C today and at home 31.5C will be a bit cooler when we get back and a lot of chores to do when we do.

milliehull replied on 06/06/2024 21:25

Posted on 06/06/2024 21:25

So glad your trip went well and that all was well with MIL while you were away WN. Hope you enjoy an hour or two for an outing tomorrow as well.

I did a Cathedral tour for 8 people this afternoon 2 of whom were a lovely young couple from Washington DC. I told the group that choral evensong was a lovely service and so this couple turned up at the Corpus Christi service this evening. It was lovely to see them there and I was able to introduce them to some of the congregation over refreshments afterwards. I hope they go home with a good impression of Peterborough.

Our tumble dryer died last week and it now looks as though our dishwasher is going to join it. Why does everything happen at once!

nelliethehooker replied on 06/06/2024 21:38

Posted on 06/06/2024 21:38

Good to read that you had a pleasant couple of days away WN, and that the MIL behaved herself! Enjoy your trip out tomorrow.

Have a safe trip home, RK. We could do with some of that warmth over here as it hasn't been much above 10C over the last few days.

Though it has been sunny for much of the day, and have had no rain to speak of, it is still breeze and cool. We returned to Kinneil Estate this morning for a different walk around the grounds and then onto Bo'ness after lunch fir another walk along by the Forth. We came across this small, but very important  building adjacent to Kinneil House. The plaques explain their significance. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook