What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

milliehull replied on 03/04/2024 18:35

Posted on 03/04/2024 18:35

Our wedding - 58 years ago - was very traditional. My Mum made my dress and veil and also the dresses for my 3 bridesmaids who were my 2 cousins and my best friend (whose 80th birthday tea I have just been to today 😊). We were married in church and had our reception in a local hotel where we had a buffet meal. We then got changed and left for our honeymoon in Brighton. No evening 'do' in those days! Some years ago when I was still working some colleagues and I decided to take our wedding photos in to work and the bridal taxi seemed to have the same driver at most of our weddings. Perhaps there was only 1 taxi in Peterborough in those days! By the way my Dad worked for the local paper so all our wedding photos were taken by their photographer free of charge. They were such great photos probably because we knew him.

DEBSC replied on 03/04/2024 18:46

Posted on 03/04/2024 18:46

Church wedding for us, then buffet reception at the local Civic Centre Hall. Food came from the cash & carry and Mum and her sisters did the catering. Friend did the cars. Good evening do with a friend being DJ, people didn’t want to go home and we had to tell them the hall was closing 11pm. Honeymoon was spent in my parents cottage in Devon that they had just bought to renovate but hadn’t started, so January, no proper heating and only an outside loo. It was freezing. 

mickysf replied on 03/04/2024 19:27

Posted on 03/04/2024 19:27

Register Office for us then back to Officer’s Mess for wedding breakfast. After the speeches we all piled out to watch a fly past which included a Spitfire, Hurricane and a Lancaster. Organised according to my  FIL by him, πŸ˜‰ Then back to the Mess for a party which went on way into the early hours. Honeymoon on tour, caravan in Langdale and on to Burts Hotel in Melrose. Both sides contributing to this memorable day.

milliehull replied on 03/04/2024 19:28

Posted on 03/04/2024 19:28

We are now back from our lovely stay with our son and family in rural N. Ireland. Everything was really successful until we were driving home from the airport yesterday afternoon. About 20 miles from the airport the clutch on OH's car gave out. We had to stop in the gateway to a farmer's field and call the rescue services. It was all very stressful but I have nothing but praise for Green Flag who kept in contact to keep us informed of arrival time of rescue. We eventually travelled home in the cab of the rescue truck and our car is back on our drive. Our lovely mechanic has been round to have a look and a chat with OH. He is going to arrange for it to be collected and repaired.

I have this afternoon been to a celebratory tea for my best friend's 80th birthday. As mentioned in my previous post she was my bridesmaid. She lost her husband last year so she wasn't really looking forward to the celebrations. She decided on a 'ladies only' do and it all went very well. Some of us hadn't seen each other for years so there was a lot of catching up to do!

I am pleased to hear about your MIL's whèelchair WN. Enjoy your trip to M&S 😁

HelenandTrevor replied on 03/04/2024 19:34

Posted on 03/04/2024 19:34

Been interesting reading about everyone's weddings, ours was planned very quickly , OH came home and said he'd booked the registry office and  we had 10 days to sort everything.  Wedding dress was hired, a friend lent us a vintage car, my mum's hairdresser offered to take some photographs, the cake was just an iced sponge,  and we went to our local pub afterwards for a meal,  only immediate family, just 12 people, it was amazing that things just fell into place! 

Today I have been getting to grips with a new kindle, I dropped the old one and it wouldn't work, it was about 13 years old so the new one is a bit different .

Another of our elderly neighbours is in hospital, she has dementia but had been managing at home with help, now it looks like she may have to go into a care home.

Nellie hope you have a good trip in Scotland. 

nelliethehooker replied on 03/04/2024 20:27

Posted on 03/04/2024 20:27

Sounds like a job well done Francis. As you regularly travel down to Ayr perhaps you could tell me if there is a  layby on the A77 between the end of the M77 and Monkton suitable for us to pull in with the caravan on tow around lunchtime on a Friday. We think we might be heading to a THS at Troonwhich doesn't start until 1:00.

Takethedogalong replied on 03/04/2024 21:11

Posted on 03/04/2024 18:31 by Wherenext

Had, for us recently, eventful last couple of days.

We all decided it would be a good idea to get a wheelchair for MiL in order that she could get out and about. The possibility of shopping for clothes clinched the deal.smile So we toddled off to an Ableworld and bought one. It took 3 trips and another one for me today but Mil has reluctantly joined the "old club" (her words not mine) at 91.

She has mentioned M&S twice today.laughing

We've had awful weather again. Garden too wet to do anything.

Posted on 03/04/2024 21:11

That’s good news. It’s safer, and hopefully easier with a wheelchair. Mum always said she didn’t need one, but I always let her walk as far as she could, then she would reluctantly climb in. 

Had a very nice PB win todayπŸ€—πŸ€©πŸ₯³ 

nelliethehooker replied on 03/04/2024 21:43

Posted on 03/04/2024 21:43

Well done with the PB win, tda, something I have never had, although I don't hold very many.

Pleased to hear that your MIL is steadily improving, and has her priorities right with her plans for a visit to M&S, WN.

Hope that your daughter's car is soon fixed, David, you both seem to not to have had a lot of luck with your vehicles in the last 12 months.

Thanks, Helen, we have sorted out all our sites now, all we have to hope for is decent weather. Glad you had a good trip away last week.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing end to your holiday, millie. Fingers crossed that your mechanic can fix the car and that it is not a too expensive job.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/04/2024 22:12

Posted on 03/04/2024 22:12

We got marriage in St Marks Church in Southampton. Nothing unusual about that I here you say! Only thing was that we got married in October and the church was next door the the, then, Southampton Football Club, The Dell. So when we went to see the vicar and we talked about dates he suggested it would be a good idea to avoid a home match just in case a goal was scored in the wrong part of the service!!! His name was the Rev Love which always amused me. 

Helen said "Today I have been getting to grips with a new kindle, I dropped the old one and it wouldn't work, it was about 13 years old so the new one is a bit different ."

Is it one of the new Paperwhite Kindle's? I got one of those for Margaret a while ago and she doesn't like it as much as her original. With the old one you have a sort of mini keyboard so it was easy to access everything. On the new one its all screen swipes to get to where you want to be so not so intuitive. Probably a question of Margaret getting using it more rather than putting it off! 

David

KjellNN replied on 03/04/2024 22:55

Posted on 03/04/2024 22:55

Our own wedding, back in 1969, was in the University of Glasgow chapel, we met when we were both students there.  The reception was at a small hotel on the south side of Glasgow, and our honeymoon was one night at a hotel near Loch Lomond, followed by a week touring Scotland  with our small frame tent.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook