New for old valuation

neilnjules1 replied on 08/11/2021 21:46

Posted on 08/11/2021 21:46

Hi everyone, we've just re-joined the club after purchasing a 2009 Abbey Spectrum 540 today, I'm trying to get cover with the caravan club but i'm struggling to find a value for a new for old replacement, does it mean the price of my caravan when it was new or the price of a current new model? TIA

DSB replied on 16/11/2021 13:21

Posted on 16/11/2021 13:21

To insure 'New for Old' with the Club, you need to insure for the current replacement value.  You could look on the manufacturers website for the current replacement value, or ring up the Club Insurance line for advice - I have a feeling they have a 'price list'....

David

Wherenext replied on 17/11/2021 13:42

Posted on 17/11/2021 13:42

I have replied to this request in the Caravan and Motorhome Chat thread as the OP made the same post there. However he is more likely to see it in this thread so I am copying my post across. I would suggest that the OP has a word with insurers and ask them what their criteria is for insuring new-for-old and whether it is possible to insure a caravan this way after the manufacturers have stopped making them years ago. The only way it could be done is to take the value of a comparable model in current manufacture but the age difference here is a large one and it will be difficult to compare like for like I would have thought.

I think you have a typo in your post NJ. Do you mean a 2009 model? 

Assuming so then it's going to be difficult to get new for old cover on a van of this age, particularly as they are no longer manufactured. Anybody getting new for old after a certain age of unit has to produce evidence of annual servicing etc. Unlikely in your case. I've just renewed my caravan policy today on a 5 year old caravan with full service history and I used the value of the same model at todays prices to replace it plus a couple of thousand pounds extra for bits and pieces. Saga insisted on it having a full service history.

I would suggest you stick to second hand value, such as the one you paid for it plus anything that you put into it that is purely caravanning items, such as aqua roll, awning etc.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook