Instrument panel lighting

LeTouriste replied on 08/01/2019 10:11

Posted on 08/01/2019 10:11

I have recently changed my vehicle from a 2009 VW Touran to a 2017 VW Caravelle.  On the Touran, the panel lighting came on when the sidelights were switched on.  But on the Caravelle this doesn't happen until the headlight are switched on.  Initially I thought this meant a fault in the system but, going onto the Caravelle and California Owners Club website, I found that this was a VW feature and there were several adverse comments about it.   One poster pointed out that on a dull day, although lights were not required, the instrument panel could be in shadow and not readily readable.  Had its lighting been linked to the sidelights, simply switching just them on would solve the problem.  I know that switching on dipped beam would also solve the problem, but the jury seems to still be out as to whether headlights should be used during daylight hours, and I thought that the DRL's, which automatically illuminate when the ignition is switched on, were supposed to be the answer to this.  Another poster claims to have found that a code can be changed so that the instrument panel is lit all the time - presumably when the ignition is turned on. Another owner, along with myself, decided not to "tamper" in case of messing up something else. When the car goes in for its annual service I will be asking for this to be changed if it is in fact possible.

EmilysDad replied on 08/01/2019 11:26

Posted on 08/01/2019 11:26

It seems that many cars' instrument panels are always lit with the ignition which is probably the reason why you see people driving with no lights at all or just DRL (which are obviously just at the front). Why can't they all be linked to the lights like they all used to be?

Vulcan replied on 08/01/2019 13:47

Posted on 08/01/2019 10:11 by LeTouriste

I have recently changed my vehicle from a 2009 VW Touran to a 2017 VW Caravelle.  On the Touran, the panel lighting came on when the sidelights were switched on.  But on the Caravelle this doesn't happen until the headlight are switched on.  Initially I thought this meant a fault in the system but, going onto the Caravelle and California Owners Club website, I found that this was a VW feature and there were several adverse comments about it.   One poster pointed out that on a dull day, although lights were not required, the instrument panel could be in shadow and not readily readable.  Had its lighting been linked to the sidelights, simply switching just them on would solve the problem.  I know that switching on dipped beam would also solve the problem, but the jury seems to still be out as to whether headlights should be used during daylight hours, and I thought that the DRL's, which automatically illuminate when the ignition is switched on, were supposed to be the answer to this.  Another poster claims to have found that a code can be changed so that the instrument panel is lit all the time - presumably when the ignition is turned on. Another owner, along with myself, decided not to "tamper" in case of messing up something else. When the car goes in for its annual service I will be asking for this to be changed if it is in fact possible.

Posted on 08/01/2019 13:47

I have not used sidelights for many years, can't see the point apart from parking at night. DRL'S only work on the front on the majority of cars and as far as dipped headlights are concerned they are a legal requirement during any time of reduced visibility during the day. If your newish car has auto headlights just leave them on "auto".

dave the rave replied on 08/01/2019 14:48

Posted on 08/01/2019 13:47 by Vulcan

I have not used sidelights for many years, can't see the point apart from parking at night. DRL'S only work on the front on the majority of cars and as far as dipped headlights are concerned they are a legal requirement during any time of reduced visibility during the day. If your newish car has auto headlights just leave them on "auto".

Posted on 08/01/2019 14:48

There are occasions when "auto" does not recognise the fact that dipped headlights must be used (mist,heavy spray etc.) Whilst on the subject,why do some drivers make the effort to turn on side (parking) lights but are unable to turn on their headlights?????

EmilysDad replied on 08/01/2019 14:50

Posted on 08/01/2019 13:47 by Vulcan

Posted on 08/01/2019 14:50

but even 'auto' requires an element of common sense that's obviously lacking in some drivers. When foggy, it's often still light enough for the 'auto' setting to leave the lights off.

beaten to it wink

lornalou1 replied on 08/01/2019 16:03

Posted on 08/01/2019 11:26 by EmilysDad

It seems that many cars' instrument panels are always lit with the ignition which is probably the reason why you see people driving with no lights at all or just DRL (which are obviously just at the front). Why can't they all be linked to the lights like they all used to be?

Posted on 08/01/2019 16:03

Quite agree MM. was behind an elderly lady one night flashing my lights as she had no rear lights, after a few miles i pulled next to her at traffic lights and pointed this out and she said they were on because the dash was lights were on. she didn't even know i was behind her flasing my lights for about 5 miles.

replied on 08/01/2019 16:27

Posted on 08/01/2019 16:03 by lornalou1

Quite agree MM. was behind an elderly lady one night flashing my lights as she had no rear lights, after a few miles i pulled next to her at traffic lights and pointed this out and she said they were on because the dash was lights were on. she didn't even know i was behind her flasing my lights for about 5 miles.

Posted on 08/01/2019 16:27

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Vulcan replied on 08/01/2019 19:57

Posted on 08/01/2019 14:50 by EmilysDad

but even 'auto' requires an element of common sense that's obviously lacking in some drivers. When foggy, it's often still light enough for the 'auto' setting to leave the lights off.

beaten to it wink

Posted on 08/01/2019 19:57

I take your point, it's the same lack of common sense that allows some drivers to sit with their foot on the brake at night dazzling the person behind and driving in clear weather with fog lights on.

EmilysDad replied on 08/01/2019 20:24

Posted on 08/01/2019 19:57 by Vulcan

I take your point, it's the same lack of common sense that allows some drivers to sit with their foot on the brake at night dazzling the person behind and driving in clear weather with fog lights on.

Posted on 08/01/2019 20:24

They drive with their rear fog light on because they've forgotten to turn it from a few weeks before hand when there was a hint of ground mist one morning & they've absolutely no idea it's still on. Not helped by some car manufacturers that don't use a relay to knock the rear fog off when ignition or lights are turned off (or a mechanical means of doing the same)

EmilysDad replied on 08/01/2019 20:27

Posted on 08/01/2019 20:19 by cyberyacht

Apparently it's also illegal to drive with fogs on unless it's foggy.

Posted on 08/01/2019 20:27

it's illegal to use a phone behind the wheel too .... but people do 😉

(front fogs can be used in falling snow too )

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook