New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/01/2022 10:54

Posted on 14/01/2022 10:27 by cyberyacht

Given the limited number of pods/cabins/lodges available across the network, they will get booked up very early in the year I suspect. The suggestion that they are merely the "new style" touring is, IMHO, ludicrous. Whilst pitches may, sometimes, not be available there will always be somewhere that you can pitch up. If anyone thinks putting a tour together for a caravan/motorhome is difficult, you try it with pods.

I would imagine that my touring days will be over by the end of the decade or fairly soon thereafter so this development is unlikely to impact on me. As for affordability, leaving aside the capital investment in an LV, some of which is recoverable upon sale, I can't see the younger generation finding "podding" more cost effective.

Posted on 14/01/2022 10:54

‘Cost effective’ compared to £50/60k camper/Moho CY🤷🏻‍♂️. Folk can Glamp using an EV. Glamping can be used anytime. Not many Moho’s are folks daily drives. TDA has it right-open minded approach is the future & it’s a really good fit👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 14/01/2022 11:01

Posted on 14/01/2022 10:54 by Rocky 2 buckets

‘Cost effective’ compared to £50/60k camper/Moho CY🤷🏻‍♂️. Folk can Glamp using an EV. Glamping can be used anytime. Not many Moho’s are folks daily drives. TDA has it right-open minded approach is the future & it’s a really good fit👍🏻

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:01

£50/60k unless used ,seems to be towards the lower end of the motorcaravan market these dayssurprised 

An EV with a little camping trailer could also be far more cost effectivecool

Takethedogalong replied on 14/01/2022 11:15

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:15

Everywhere we have visited (properly touring around🤣) these last two years, from Scotland down to West Penwith, from Wales across to Norfolk, we have seen lots of alternative, and innovative holiday accommodation either in place, or in the process of being built. Some are just a couple of Shepherd’s Huts alongside an existing CL pitching area, some are private Sites offering Cabin based stays in places like Kelso. Some, like the quirky little place we used last month are upcycled and innovatively rethought existing buildings made comfortable and cosy and offered for a great price in a superb location. 
I realise that this isn’t quite what this thread is about, but does illustrate just how on the ball the Club actually is in branching out into other areas of interest. Like the pitch fees though, the accommodation prices of what the Club offers are at times pricey compared with similar.

Folks need to look beyond the “Club” moniker nowadays. There’s little “Club” left now unless you choose to embrace the rallies, Centres and their events calendars, where it is still thriving. Everything else tends to be very much business centred, and businesses have to evolve and embrace change to survive in some shape or form. Members either go with the flow, having the odd grumble, or cut their perceived losses and walk away🤷‍♀️

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/01/2022 11:18

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:01 by JVB66

£50/60k unless used ,seems to be towards the lower end of the motorcaravan market these dayssurprised 

An EV with a little camping trailer could also be far more cost effectivecool

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:18

Good point, not only that the trailer camping would be cheaper too👍🏻. It will probably drive a lot of the big beast Moho’s either mainly overseas or off our roads🤷🏻‍♂️

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/01/2022 11:22

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:15 by Takethedogalong

Everywhere we have visited (properly touring around🤣) these last two years, from Scotland down to West Penwith, from Wales across to Norfolk, we have seen lots of alternative, and innovative holiday accommodation either in place, or in the process of being built. Some are just a couple of Shepherd’s Huts alongside an existing CL pitching area, some are private Sites offering Cabin based stays in places like Kelso. Some, like the quirky little place we used last month are upcycled and innovatively rethought existing buildings made comfortable and cosy and offered for a great price in a superb location. 
I realise that this isn’t quite what this thread is about, but does illustrate just how on the ball the Club actually is is branching out into other areas of interest. Like the pitch fees though, the accommodation prices of what the Club offers are at times pricey compared with similar.

Folks need to look beyond the “Club” moniker nowadays. There’s little “Club” left now unless you choose to embrace the rallies, Centres and their events calendars, where it is still thriving. Everything else tends to be very much business centred, and businesses have to evolve and embrace to survive in some shape or form.

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:22

Farmers are looking to diversify & pods/huts/yurts & other forms within the glamping genre is another good fit. Evolve or die-we are witnesses to a spurt in the evolution of LV’ing👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Navigateur replied on 14/01/2022 11:32

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:32

Modern housing estates that is (sic) being thrown together to meet government targets , ,and our ever expanding population, are crammed in to make as much profit, for the builder in the smallest areas, and also many new builds are in this area are apartments ,

That comment from JVB led me to think that the later generations live their daily lives in different circumstances to those before that lived in houses, with gardens, garages, and reasonable space. They are also used to high wages and prices.  Altogether, they must have a different perspective on leisure time and what is an enjoyable holiday. 

Correlates to a recent comment about novice motor caravanners thinking The Caravan Club was good value for money even with the non-member nightly supplement.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/01/2022 11:43

Posted on 14/01/2022 10:27 by cyberyacht

Given the limited number of pods/cabins/lodges available across the network, they will get booked up very early in the year I suspect. The suggestion that they are merely the "new style" touring is, IMHO, ludicrous. Whilst pitches may, sometimes, not be available there will always be somewhere that you can pitch up. If anyone thinks putting a tour together for a caravan/motorhome is difficult, you try it with pods.

I would imagine that my touring days will be over by the end of the decade or fairly soon thereafter so this development is unlikely to impact on me. As for affordability, leaving aside the capital investment in an LV, some of which is recoverable upon sale, I can't see the younger generation finding "podding" more cost effective.

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:43

"Ludicrous", why? Have you actually tried to put a tour together using pod type accommodation, CY? I suspect you're assuming rather than quoting from experience.

As for leaving aside capital investment in a LV, how can you? Any meaningful affordability comparison of costs must include it and younger folk are buying campervans like nobody's business which is pushing their price up. Even if someone 'only' pays £10k for a camper, that's the equivalent of a lot of padding breaks.

replied on 14/01/2022 12:47

Posted on 14/01/2022 12:47

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 14/01/2022 13:10

Posted on 14/01/2022 11:22 by Rocky 2 buckets

Farmers are looking to diversify & pods/huts/yurts & other forms within the glamping genre is another good fit. Evolve or die-we are witnesses to a spurt in the evolution of LV’ing👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Posted on 14/01/2022 13:10

Very much so Rocky. Most of CLs we use are farm based, and there’s a lot of diversity going on. Farming families are excellent at getting ahead of trends, they have to be to survive.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/01/2022 13:21

Posted on 14/01/2022 12:47 by

We are now of an age where 1000 mile towing journeys are not getting any easier and like many others we will at some point have to look at easier ways of doing what we do now. Two sites we, prior to Covid  very  much enjoyed  longish stay's  ( 4 to 7 weeks ) at do have rented accommodation  on them and we have considered "fly drive"  to use them but I honestly cant ever see us wanting to spend time on rural club sites with a constant busy turnover of customers and little if anything in the way of facilities.Its not any sort of future we would envisage

Posted on 14/01/2022 13:21

How about a Club Site that has all sorts of watersports adjacent, steamboat rides, cycle paths, a birdwatchers paradise, a sculpture trail, and Go Ape for those who can? Glamping pods available here. Open all year as well. Plenty for both families and adventurous couples. Some Club Sites do have a lot more than is perceived at first glance. Coniston Park Coppice in case you haven’t recognised it. 😁

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook