New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

basecampbloxy replied on 12/01/2022 22:02

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:02

A very disappointing change of a system that made the club separate and special. A system that worked well for the majority and gave the sort of flexibility that one should expect from a members club rather than a commercial operator.

The reasons given by the club are not convincing and it is highly unlikely that any change to availability will happen.

What will change massively is the increase in cash flow (though not overall revenue) and it is obvious that a club already swimming in cash simply wants more sloshing around.

The best booking change that could have been made was to stop non members booking pitches or glamping.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/01/2022 22:20

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:02 by basecampbloxy

A very disappointing change of a system that made the club separate and special. A system that worked well for the majority and gave the sort of flexibility that one should expect from a members club rather than a commercial operator.

The reasons given by the club are not convincing and it is highly unlikely that any change to availability will happen.

What will change massively is the increase in cash flow (though not overall revenue) and it is obvious that a club already swimming in cash simply wants more sloshing around.

The best booking change that could have been made was to stop non members booking pitches or glamping.

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:20

I agree in part with your post, especially the first paragraph, and the fact that cash flow will be increased which I suspect was a huge driver. "Swimming in cash" I’m not so sure about. Unless one studies the accounts, it’s not easy to determine. Surplus funds are used to acquire new sites and refurbish others.

The decision to accept non-members on some sites is often a local authority or landowner requirement and not one made by the club. In any case, I suspect not many non-members use club sites as it costs them £13 per night more than members pay.

I'm one who is pleased the club has had the foresight to branch out into pods and cabins because touring as we know it with caravans and MHs is already becoming more difficult in view of the push towards EVs. I think static accommodation could be the future and the club is endeavouring to provide a way for us all to continue our hobby.

basecampbloxy replied on 12/01/2022 22:49

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:20 by Tinwheeler

I agree in part with your post, especially the first paragraph, and the fact that cash flow will be increased which I suspect was a huge driver. "Swimming in cash" I’m not so sure about. Unless one studies the accounts, it’s not easy to determine. Surplus funds are used to acquire new sites and refurbish others.

The decision to accept non-members on some sites is often a local authority or landowner requirement and not one made by the club. In any case, I suspect not many non-members use club sites as it costs them £13 per night more than members pay.

I'm one who is pleased the club has had the foresight to branch out into pods and cabins because touring as we know it with caravans and MHs is already becoming more difficult in view of the push towards EVs. I think static accommodation could be the future and the club is endeavouring to provide a way for us all to continue our hobby.

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:49

I think the pods and cabins are fine, will be useful for members and their guests, but I am opposed to their use being advertised and sold to non members.

The published accounts show just that!

Tinwheeler replied on 12/01/2022 23:25

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:49 by basecampbloxy

I think the pods and cabins are fine, will be useful for members and their guests, but I am opposed to their use being advertised and sold to non members.

The published accounts show just that!

Posted on 12/01/2022 23:25

I'm sure Experience Freedom has its reasons for letting cabins etc to non-members.👍

What is it the accounts show? A surplus? Unless viewed by an accountant who understands the finer detail of the club's income, outgoings, liabilities and assets, I doubt the bottom line tells us much. The club is non profit making as there are no shareholders clamouring for dividends so any surplus is ploughed back in one way or another. I'm just glad the final figure isn't in the red!

cyberyacht replied on 13/01/2022 08:29

Posted on 13/01/2022 08:29

TW wrote " I think static accommodation could be the future and the club is endeavouring to provide a way for us all to continue our hobby."

It's not a continuation of our hobby though. That's touring. Glamping pods are in the same category as chalets, cottages B&B's etc.

That our chosen pastime will become a thing of the past is a possibility but any replacement ain't gonna be the same thing.

TandemTwo replied on 13/01/2022 09:14

Posted on 12/01/2022 22:02 by basecampbloxy

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:14

Spot on. 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/01/2022 09:15

Posted on 13/01/2022 08:29 by cyberyacht

TW wrote " I think static accommodation could be the future and the club is endeavouring to provide a way for us all to continue our hobby."

It's not a continuation of our hobby though. That's touring. Glamping pods are in the same category as chalets, cottages B&B's etc.

That our chosen pastime will become a thing of the past is a possibility but any replacement ain't gonna be the same thing.

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:15

Splitting hairs, CY. It's providing a way of touring site to site using fixed accommodation with the bonus of not having to set up your outfit, something particularly advantageous to caravanners. 

It's not a lot of use to those who choose to wildcamp but it's a way of the club continuing to provide a facility to meet the needs of members. A lot of CLs are doing likewise👍

Tinwheeler replied on 13/01/2022 09:23

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:19 by KjellNN

Do the pods have toilets and showers?   And cooking facilities?

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:23

There are some basic and some more fully equipped but they have various facilities and some are accessible for wheelchair users. Check them out, kj.

Arch replied on 13/01/2022 09:27

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:15 by Tinwheeler

Splitting hairs, CY. It's providing a way of touring site to site using fixed accommodation with the bonus of not having to set up your outfit, something particularly advantageous to caravanners. 

It's not a lot of use to those who choose to wildcamp but it's a way of the club continuing to provide a facility to meet the needs of members. A lot of CLs are doing likewise👍

Posted on 13/01/2022 09:27

Pods and glamping are no replacement for touring with your own Caravan or MH they are just another sign that the club is diverting from its core values and business as a member based organisation providing touring sites for its members.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook