Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

chasncath replied on 29/12/2020 17:24

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:24

My suggestion to the suspected 'problem' of excess booking and cancelling would be to introduce an annual booking entitlement, similar to leave entitlement in the Forces.

Each member (or couple) would have an entitlement to book, say, 28 week-day nights and 6 weekend days per year. The period of entitlement would start from the date of joining up. Unused days could be carried over to the next membership year. The 'restriction' could only apply to bookings made more than 28 days in advance, with shorter notice bookings being unrestricted.

The whole idea is premised on there being a super-dooper computer booking system and an up to date database!

Extugger replied on 29/12/2020 17:58

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:58

The current booking system promotes block booking, but this subject has been done to death. It is incredible that one can book a particular seat in a theatre, but not a particular pitch on a CAMC site, nevermind be it at a weekend. As chasncath have alluded to, there maybe the need to update the Club's technology. So it's not just Santa who's "Ho ho ho ho hoing"

Tinwheeler replied on 29/12/2020 17:59

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:24 by chasncath

My suggestion to the suspected 'problem' of excess booking and cancelling would be to introduce an annual booking entitlement, similar to leave entitlement in the Forces.

Each member (or couple) would have an entitlement to book, say, 28 week-day nights and 6 weekend days per year. The period of entitlement would start from the date of joining up. Unused days could be carried over to the next membership year. The 'restriction' could only apply to bookings made more than 28 days in advance, with shorter notice bookings being unrestricted.

The whole idea is premised on there being a super-dooper computer booking system and an up to date database!

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:59

Have I misunderstood here? If I want to take a long break of 2 weeks starting on a Saturday and add on two extra weekend days at the end, I will use only 10 of my weekday nights but completely use up my allocation of 6 weekend nights. That's me stuffed for any booked weekend nights throughout the year. πŸ€”

chasncath replied on 29/12/2020 18:11

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:59 by Tinwheeler

Have I misunderstood here? If I want to take a long break of 2 weeks starting on a Saturday and add on two extra weekend days at the end, I will use only 10 of my weekday nights but completely use up my allocation of 6 weekend nights. That's me stuffed for any booked weekend nights throughout the year. πŸ€”

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:11

"That's me stuffed" - quite possibly! The Devil is, as ever, hiding in the detail. Clearly more work is needed on my plan; suggestions on what I should do with my plan would be welcome.

Cornersteady replied on 29/12/2020 18:22

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:58 by Extugger

The current booking system promotes block booking, but this subject has been done to death. It is incredible that one can book a particular seat in a theatre, but not a particular pitch on a CAMC site, nevermind be it at a weekend. As chasncath have alluded to, there maybe the need to update the Club's technology. So it's not just Santa who's "Ho ho ho ho hoing"

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:22

Booking a theatre seat is very different to booking a club site pitch.

A theatre play lasts for a set time on a set day, so one can book the 2 pm performance and/or the 7.30pm or whatever but that seat will only be in use for those set times and those set times are the same for everyone wanting to see the play at that time. It makes booking so easy.

A club site (or any campsite) however is open '24/7' you can arrive on any day and leave when you wish. One person may want one night, another 5, so the variables in booking a particular pitch are more complicated and if you allow that some pitches may be standing empty. 

Booking a particular pitch is not that common in the UK with larger chains and campsite is it? 

Tinwheeler replied on 29/12/2020 18:33

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:11 by chasncath

"That's me stuffed" - quite possibly! The Devil is, as ever, hiding in the detail. Clearly more work is needed on my plan; suggestions on what I should do with my plan would be welcome.

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:33

You could mail the suggestion to the club. That's a sure way of it never seeing the light of day againπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

replied on 29/12/2020 18:38

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:38

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

MikeyA replied on 29/12/2020 18:50

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:56 by Cornersteady

so how much? 50% per booking? Β£5 per booking? Β£20? Got to be something that will stop your cycle? If it's too low then we're back to people not telling the club they won't show, which did happen as the number of no shows went down when the club got rid of deposits.

Too high and income will be affected with pope going elsewhere, especially after what happened this year, and loss of income?

Also non returnable? Seems bit harsh. So that would mean people buying insurance further raising the cost of a stay away?

Also is there a cycle? Any proof? And if there is as long as pitches get sold does the club care? 

If the club were to go down this route you suggest no doubt there would be cries of this is a club why have non returnable deposits?

And why are you so keen on them? Have trouble getting your club sites?

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:50

£20 non returnable sounds about right.

Unlike yourself any Club site would be the last resort for us. Much prefer the 5 van sites for space, uniqueness, wild life and value for money.

EmilysDad replied on 29/12/2020 19:17

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:17

but not everyone works Mon to Fri like the Forces do 'shore side'

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook