Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

SeasideBill replied on 03/01/2021 14:20

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:10 by Takethedogalong

Mikel, yes we do.šŸ˜‚ The one thing that has never balked us is the width of the road. If it fits, it goes down, even if one of us has to get out and give hand signals. (We do of course pay heed to road width signs.) We got off Dartmoor with around four inch per side of motorhome a couple of years ago. It took us about a couple of extra minutes taking it carefully, but a couple of minutes is nothing having spent two nice weeks exploring somewhere we love. Our favourite CL in Cornwall was down a one car width lane, we spent weeks per year, for 15 years doing this with a caravan. We arenā€™t the problem, OH can reverse. Itā€™s those we meet other way that canā€™t that are the problem.

Mind, I agree that in this day and age of the mobile phone and email, if itā€™s somewhere unknown, down somewhere that looks narrow on the map, I have the common sense to call Site before venturing down the very narrow bit. 

We have taken our MH up Simonside, up Long Mynd, up the narrow NY Moors valleys. Itā€™s what we bought if for, not to simply drive from Site to site via motorways and dual carriageways.

Edge of Caerhays Beach, down on Roseland in Cornwall. An ā€œinterestingā€ drive to get therešŸ˜‚

Posted on 03/01/2021 14:20

Caerhays isn’t particularly challenging if approached from Gorran. Plenty go there - you’ll find no shortage of MH in the car park during the summer months. If you want ‘interesting’ try driving to nearby Hemmick Beach - one of the nicer places you’ll find in Cornwall.

Takethedogalong replied on 03/01/2021 14:28

Posted on 03/01/2021 14:28

Yes, we know Hemmick well, and Vault. The one place we couldn’t get our MH was down to Lower Penpoll from Lanteglos Highway, up to St Veep, then down, down to LerrynšŸ˜±šŸ˜± That’s a toughie in a wide car. I doubt we could get into Lerryn from St Austell side either, that little bow bridge in village is a bit of a spoileršŸ˜

Cornwall we think is best with a car and van. Dump the van, then you can get everywhere. Or a very small camper. We like the tiny, tiny lanes.

JVB66 replied on 03/01/2021 14:39

Posted on 03/01/2021 11:10 by Takethedogalong

Mikel, yes we do.šŸ˜‚ The one thing that has never balked us is the width of the road. If it fits, it goes down, even if one of us has to get out and give hand signals. (We do of course pay heed to road width signs.) We got off Dartmoor with around four inch per side of motorhome a couple of years ago. It took us about a couple of extra minutes taking it carefully, but a couple of minutes is nothing having spent two nice weeks exploring somewhere we love. Our favourite CL in Cornwall was down a one car width lane, we spent weeks per year, for 15 years doing this with a caravan. We arenā€™t the problem, OH can reverse. Itā€™s those we meet other way that canā€™t that are the problem.

Mind, I agree that in this day and age of the mobile phone and email, if itā€™s somewhere unknown, down somewhere that looks narrow on the map, I have the common sense to call Site before venturing down the very narrow bit. 

We have taken our MH up Simonside, up Long Mynd, up the narrow NY Moors valleys. Itā€™s what we bought if for, not to simply drive from Site to site via motorways and dual carriageways.

Edge of Caerhays Beach, down on Roseland in Cornwall. An ā€œinterestingā€ drive to get therešŸ˜‚

Posted on 03/01/2021 14:39

The Autosleeper VW clubman is a nice little go almost anywhere compact coach built,  some friends of ours in Barry (we have had the tourwink)had one, they have sold it as they no longer "camp" as joint problems and age beat themfrown

Tinwheeler replied on 03/01/2021 15:24

Posted on 03/01/2021 14:39 by JVB66

The Autosleeper VW clubman is a nice little go almost anywhere compact coach built,  some friends of ours in Barry (we have had the tourwink)had one, they have sold it as they no longer "camp" as joint problems and age beat themfrown

Posted on 03/01/2021 15:24

I think TDA's is even nicely littler than the Clubman šŸ‘šŸ»

Takethedogalong replied on 03/01/2021 17:43

Posted on 03/01/2021 17:43

Aye, it’s a grand little outfit, suits us down to the ground. Got all we need, including a bit of ground clearance. I do have to remind OH he’s not in Jeep. šŸ¤£

VW AS Gatcombe JV, so nice wood fittings inside, although the interior takes some getting used to in the red. Lovers of modern beige, grey, white and graphite usually blinkšŸ¤£ It’s covered in more muted throws for the pooch though. We saw one with upholstery all redone, looked very nice, but we truly live in ours, dogs, cooking, glasses of wine etc.... Anything pale wouldn’t last long.

Phishing replied on 03/01/2021 18:17

Posted on 03/01/2021 08:16 by SteveL

3 advanced bookings per member, 6 month rolling.

For last September we booked in advance / stayed at 8 CAMC sites in just under 4 weeks. This is fairly typical now we have a MH. For next May / June we have 16 sites booked (transferred from this year)  10 of those are CAMC.  If what you suggest was introduced, there would be little point in us remaining members. The club would therefore loose bookings which in a normal year total well over a thousand pounds, to the advantage of others. 

At the times we tour the sites are very rarely full, so that loss would be largely actual, as the spaces would not necessarily be filled by others.

Sounds a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas.šŸ¤”

Posted on 03/01/2021 18:17

Steve, yes this suits you, I understand this. But you also have to understand that the members who work and have fixed holidays which their employer has not yet told them the dates, or people who have care responsibility and need to make arrangements that booking next year is not possible. 

I resent the implication that we are in some way lazy in booking, booking what, the whole of the summer because we genuinely do not know what dates we can travel.

You also have to accept that by booking a lot of sites for a short period that you restrict the availability of those who do work to book weeks or fortnight breaks. I am not critical in that, I wish i had the flexibility to travel as much as you.

I get frustrated that whenever I look for the longer breaks as they are usually blocked by weekenders, I accept this but you have to accept that this is frustrating for a lot of the membership. And I am not doing it again but last time this was debated I demonstrated that 10 popular sites had no complete weeks between June and November. I accept this was for 2020 which was an exceptional year.

This could be resolved very swiftly by every member booking all their possible requirements when the dates are released, I feel a facebook campaign coming on. What then, total stalemate of the booking system.

At the moment the club own the lifejacket concession on the deck of the titanic, they are going to sell their product. 

If you think that the club would not sell vacant pitches then as a membership we should be given the facts to understand this. What is the occupancy levels, by month, by pitch type, and what % of the membership use the sites, what is the level of cancellation.

I know this will never happen for no other reason than I do not think they have statistical analysis of booking trends across their business or understand how the demographic of the membership uses their services.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/01/2021 18:40

Posted on 03/01/2021 18:40

"You also have to accept that by booking a lot of sites for a short period that you restrict the availability of those who do work to book weeks or fortnight breaks. I am not critical in that, I wish i had the flexibility to travel as much as you.

I get frustrated that whenever I look for the longer breaks as they are usually blocked by weekenders, I accept this but you have to accept that this is frustrating for a lot of the membership"

Phish, isn't it likely that those booking the weekends are in fact the working folk who can't get away mid-week so, understandably, grab the weekends? That is, people like yourself. 

I don’t think you can blame any of us for using the club in the way that suits us best. Indeed, it’s exactly what you seek to do but find your efforts frustrated. Whatever system is in place, someone will feel unfairly treated and, glib as it sounds, I’m afraid that's life and most of us have had to work around the constraints of employment over the years.

Good luck with booking what you want this year.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook