Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Takethedogalong replied on 11/07/2024 17:12

Posted on 11/07/2024 16:48 by Cornersteady

Well no one knows but maybe thee offers are being made on the money saved? smile

It's nice to think that, but I don't think so, if anything the money will be used for keeping the club in better  health and/or refurbishments - which most want as read in the site reviews. 

Posted on 11/07/2024 17:12

They have to increase Membership, and/or make sure that existing Members stay more nights, otherwise all the discounts are doing are rewarding existing Members, which won’t increase income. Hence the DG’s plea around asking folks to consider Club Sites first.
It’s the Marks and Spencer marketing conundrum, a company can only trade on its reputation for so long, and while ever it has a growing market share. If the product isn’t appealing to enough buyers, then over time it will lose custom as buyers find alternatives they like more, and find better value elsewhere. Hence stores/sites close, and there’s a retrenchment. 

philnjune replied on 11/07/2024 18:21

Posted on 11/07/2024 12:06 by Takethedogalong

So are Nunnykirk and Bromyard. So sad. Give me Nunnykirk over Cayton Bay anyday. 

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:21

Nunnykirk was a lovely site we’ve been going there for over 30 years except during Covid. It was so beautiful and peaceful. There are a lot of seasonal pitches there. We made friends with some of the owners who virtually lived there in the summer just going home for a couple of days a month to check the house. So sad but I guess the Club is now more commercially orientated and wants to charge big bucks for loads of facilities. I have no idea where this will end up. Thank god for CLs. RIP these sites.

philnjune replied on 11/07/2024 18:26

Posted on 11/07/2024 13:49 by Cornersteady

This is the main point from Ro's post:

with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually

If numbers remained stable then that's one thing, however there was clearly a downward trend, club members do not want to stay at such sites, and more and more are not wanting to stay at such sites each year.

Reasons? Could be location,  but I view it as being down to no facilities, lack of HS and people just wanting more from their stay.

However plenty of CLs that people can use, or does it have to be club site?

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:26

Numbers reducing annually, excuse me but this is the general trend me thinks. Not just sites with “no facilities” ( whatever that means), when we started at Nunnykirk they had no hook ups, still no hard standings and toilets etc. only just got a mobile signal but they used to have visits from a mikman and a butcher! I note the clubs continually punching discounts of various types is this because overall bookings are down? I wonder why?

chens replied on 11/07/2024 18:26

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:01 by Fozzie

I think Ro sums up the Club's future direction the Club is going  with the following statement,

with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing

all the future closing sites are minimum facilities with lower site fees to suit.The biggest disappointment for me  is the Broomfield Farm site,this has been (to me) well occupied when visited in the past.

Plenty of members require full fat sites,and that is their choice,but it would nice to have our minimum facilities sites left for those who do not require them.

PS Any idea why is my font so small!!

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:26

We love Broomfield farm 

It is the sort of site that we use , small friendly.

Do not want club house swimming pools etc 

This year we are a seasonal, the aged  we are we don’t want to tour anymore .

So like a lot of the friends on site have said time to give up 

A very sad day .

philnjune replied on 11/07/2024 18:33

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:33

Agreed sadly. It was a beautiful peaceful site. Our 2 boys loved the freedom and safety playing there. Not like on the new full facility sites. No ball games etc (I can understand) but soon there’ll be no alternatives. Next sites like Englethwaite hall will be at risk or upgraded to full facilities and full prices. At least we still have CLs. Dockray meadow is another one, in the Lake District but the Western quiet side. With modern vans so well kitted out why do members demand Full Facilties? I know it’s their choice. The club is ploughing loads on money into “upgrading” facilities but what does the likes on Nunnykirk need? Just a warden, bins emptying and grass cutting. Surely that’s not that expensive?

Kevin Blackburn replied on 11/07/2024 18:33

Posted on 11/07/2024 12:02 by Oneputt

Gwern-y-Bwlch Is a lovely non facilities site. Such a pity the club feel the need to trash it

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:33

They're not trashing it - they are closing it because YOU the club membership are not using it!

Kevin Blackburn replied on 11/07/2024 18:36

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:26 by chens

We love Broomfield farm 

It is the sort of site that we use , small friendly.

Do not want club house swimming pools etc 

This year we are a seasonal, the aged  we are we don’t want to tour anymore .

So like a lot of the friends on site have said time to give up 

A very sad day .

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:36

Hardly any sites have 'clubhouse and swimming pool', the club are just closing sites that sadly members are not choosing to use! Members want toilets and showers, in generl, as a minimum!

Cornersteady replied on 11/07/2024 18:52

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:26 by philnjune

Numbers reducing annually, excuse me but this is the general trend me thinks. Not just sites with “no facilities” ( whatever that means), when we started at Nunnykirk they had no hook ups, still no hard standings and toilets etc. only just got a mobile signal but they used to have visits from a mikman and a butcher! I note the clubs continually punching discounts of various types is this because overall bookings are down? I wonder why?

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:52

Not from my experience, I would say it's not a general trend. There are club sites that are difficult to book even now. There are six sites I monitor and I can't get more than a few days on any of them till mid September. 

It has been discussed that these offers are to get more people onto club sites, especially the latest one.

But these sites are just not making enough money to justify keeping them open, why is that? yet other sites keep filling up.

Cornersteady replied on 11/07/2024 18:52

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:36 by Kevin Blackburn

Hardly any sites have 'clubhouse and swimming pool', the club are just closing sites that sadly members are not choosing to use! Members want toilets and showers, in generl, as a minimum!

Posted on 11/07/2024 18:52

+1

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook