Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

peedee replied on 11/07/2024 14:11

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:11

Last time I was at Bromyard (3 years ago) it was well patronised. It is a bit remote and length of outfit can be a problem there. With the increase in motorhomes these limitations may well be contributing to falling occupancy of such remote sites. One cannot help wondering if larger remote sites will eventually suffer the same fate?

Corners I think I have used all the non facility sites over the years, many no longer part of the network.

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 11/07/2024 14:16

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:16

Marazion was full when we were there, but that was a couple of years ago, just post covid. Like you OP, I am sceptical. It’s easier to dump such sites and concentrate on raking in the big nightly fees. 

I agree with your comments as well Fozzie. Club are happy to let others provide more basic camping, as the core membership needs more in terms of facility provision and has the disposable income to pay what is asked. 

peedee replied on 11/07/2024 14:17

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:06 by Oneputt

I stayed at Gwern-y-Bwlch both last year and earlier this year.  Last year numbers were down but this year numbers have shot up, so that makes me sceptical about the reason for closure 

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:17

Agree, Stover was near full when I used it this year so it is definitely not down to lack of facilities and hard standings and witness the 3000 plus who attended Club Fest..

peedee

Goldie146 replied on 11/07/2024 14:24

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:24

A sigh of relief from me, that they aren't planning to close Englethwaite Hall. It's non facility but maybe its easyish access frpm the M6 has saved it.

JohnM20 replied on 11/07/2024 15:21

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:24 by Goldie146

A sigh of relief from me, that they aren't planning to close Englethwaite Hall. It's non facility but maybe its easyish access frpm the M6 has saved it.

Posted on 11/07/2024 15:21

It's a good stop-over site on the way to or from Scotland, similar to Cadeside at Wellington if heading to Devon / Cornwall. 

In many ways, CLs seem to be attracting more people. We've not used a main site for a couple of years and only using one this year for a couple of days purely because of it's proximity to where I have to be.

Having said that, I have been surprised this year that none of the CLs that we've been to have been full for the whole week that we were there. Most of these I'd class as excellent but only half having toilet / shower facilities. The owner of one excellent site, 10 miles from the east coast, was telling me that bookings were very slow, even with very reasonable nightly fees.

Looking at other on-line groups it appears to me that there is possibly a change in the demographic of 'new' caravanners who seem to want everything plus more from a site. Is this a legacy of covid and the staycation boom in caravan / motorhome buying by people with possibly different ideas and requirements?

I'm another poster whose typing is showing very small as I type. It corrects itself when posted but why is it suddenly doing this. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Cornersteady replied on 11/07/2024 16:43

Posted on 11/07/2024 14:11 by peedee

Last time I was at Bromyard (3 years ago) it was well patronised. It is a bit remote and length of outfit can be a problem there. With the increase in motorhomes these limitations may well be contributing to falling occupancy of such remote sites. One cannot help wondering if larger remote sites will eventually suffer the same fate?

Corners I think I have used all the non facility sites over the years, many no longer part of the network.

peedee

Posted on 11/07/2024 16:43

I think over the years sums it up PD. I too over the years have used grass, then mainly HS and now all SP.

As you were aware I was asking if you've used these basic sites recently? Your were sad that these sites have to be closed but I was just wondering if you had used them in the last few years? I can't recall your exact tour details from when you posted but I recall (without looking) that it was a few club sites (especially Melrose) and others, but I thought the majority were with EHU and facilities?

Everyone (not specially you) bemoans the passing of what is perceived as a golden age, steam engines... and now these basic sites yet at the same time as being sad they don't use them and use things that make their stay easier like Sp, HS, facilities. 

I don't think any site will close if it keep makings profit or near enough, no matter how remote. It's not the remoteness but lack of facilities that makes people use them less in my view.

I think basic sites will go, and personally, I think that's better for the majority of the membership who are using these less and less.

Cornersteady replied on 11/07/2024 16:48

Posted on 11/07/2024 15:33 by peedee

It would be nice to think that the savings the Club makes by not supporting these so called unsustainable sites will be reflected in the remaining site fees?

peedee

Posted on 11/07/2024 16:48

Well no one knows but maybe thee offers are being made on the money saved? smile

It's nice to think that, but I don't think so, if anything the money will be used for keeping the club in better  health and/or refurbishments - which most want as read in the site reviews. 

Takethedogalong replied on 11/07/2024 16:53

Posted on 11/07/2024 16:53

Club and Pee up in a Brewery springs to mind🤣 I see the geographically challenged are offering Moorhampton as an alternative to Nunnykirk. A mere six hours drive away. 
(See PD’s link above)

Dockray Meadows is closure to suggested alternatives though…..Malvern Hills, a mere four hours away🤣🤣

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook